Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Gold Medal'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Gold Medal

Jamestown, Ohio

Lebanon, Oregon

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

On Jan 16, 2011, MYD from Frederick, MD wrote:

I grew this plant in Frederick Maryland, summer of 2010. There was record breaking heat and not much rain. This plant performed very well. There was an average number of fruit, not a lot. The fruit often cracked or was blemished, but still quite useable and very large. I learned to pick the fruit while it looked underripe to avoid the cracking. The flavor was incredible. Very few seeds, firm flesh, perfect for salsa. The inside of the tomato looks striped- it reminds you of a sunset. They are beautiful. We got a bumper crop right before frost and picked maybe 2 dozen green tomatoes that ripened indoors over a 2-4 week period.
I plan on growing it again primarily for the flavor.

On Aug 6, 2009, Ozark from Ozark, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

Huge tomatoes, yellow streaked with red, and the flavor's great. Gold Medal bears late, 90 days from transplanting to the first ripe one this year - but it surprised me by being quite productive. I've got lots and lots of big tomatoes hanging on two plants, many more than I expected from this variety.

On Mar 31, 2007, DrDoolotz from Oxford, NS (Zone 5b) wrote:

I grew gold medal in 2006. The plants were not extremely prolific with their fruits, but those that came along were wonderful. They are large, heavy fruits with a wonderful flavor, not too sweet but good tomato taste. They are truly beautiful when sliced on a salad due to the colors inside, the mixing of the reds and yellows. I would grow again.

On Mar 3, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Large, yellow, streaked red; firm and smooth. Very little acid.

On Dec 8, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

1 lb fruit, bicolored tomatoes. Yellow fruit are blushing with rosy red that radiates from the blossom end. The firm flesh is of superior quality, being sweet and mild. The low acid content makes them great for fresh eating. From the late, legendary seed collector, Ben Quisenberry.