Tropical Rose Hydrangea

Dombeya seminole

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Dombeya (DOM-bee-yuh) (Info)
Species: seminole

Arcadia, Florida

Boca Raton, Florida

Cape Coral, Florida

Delray Beach, Florida

Hollywood, Florida (2 reports)

Melbourne, Florida

Mount Dora, Florida

Naples, Florida

Rockledge, Florida

Saint Petersburg, Florida

Sarasota, Florida

West Palm Beach, Florida (2 reports)

Humble, Texas

On Nov 14, 2015, phaynie from Jupiter, FL wrote:

I had planted Dombeya Seminole several years ago in Jupiter, Florida and last year planted 3 in my home in Mount Dora, zone 9b. They are reliable bloomers from October to May and the bees are all over them. I have kept mine around 6x6 feet, but saw one at Leu Gardens in Orlando that was easily 15x15. In the spring when they finish blooming I cut them down to about 18 inches, they leaf quickly and are attractive until bloom time. They are a real show stopper. Since I am further north I'm not sure how well they will winter, but we had some freezes in Jupiter with no problem. One of my favorite plants, just make sure you have room for it.

On Aug 26, 2008, Scogebear from Boca Raton, FL wrote:

Bought this plant about 2 years ago, very pleased. Bloomed for several months starting in October, tolerates dry conditions when other plants wilt, nice flowers and quick growth. Bees like the flowers and it needs some room, so keep that in mind when planting.

On Nov 27, 2006, happy_girl from Redondo Beach, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

I purchased this plant (the dwarf variety) through Logees and I'm so happy I did. It is healthy and has grown to beat the band.

On Sunday (11/26), my first bud opened up to display it's colorful beauty. Tonight, I came home to 3 beauties and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest open over the next few days as there are tons of buds.

What a great plant this is. I don't know if I'm imagining things, but when I put my nose right into the flowers, I smell honey!

On Nov 22, 2006, Carter from Houston, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

This plant is easy to grow here in zone 9b. It is hardy here with some protection from frosts. I don't know how it might fair without any protection, as I always give it a little shelter (though, still outdoors) to protect any blooms that are on it. Very stunning in full bloom! Has a smaller, slightly more branched structure than D. wallichii and is easily kept in a pot. It appreciates room to grow, however, and will fill a pot in a season - so root pruning (and top pruning) is in order (in spring) if it's to be kept in the same pot. I rarely ever fertilize.