PlantFiles: Angelwing Jasmine, Shining Jasmine, Confederate Jasmine, Star Jasmine
Jasminum nitidum

Family: Oleaceae (oh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Jasminum (JAZ-mih-num) (Info)
Species: nitidum (NI-ti-dum) (Info)

Synonym:Jasminum magnificum

Thumbnail #5 of Jasminum nitidum by Thaumaturgist

Thumbnail #6 of Jasminum nitidum by Thaumaturgist

Thumbnail #7 of Jasminum nitidum by Thaumaturgist

Positive jxngardner On Jul 24, 2013, jxngardner from Madison, MS wrote:

I planted this two years ago to cover my mailbox in a front yard that gets a lot of direct sun, esp. afternoon, and have been really happy with it. It now covers the mailbox, and I trim it as needed (1x - 2x a year) to keep it from going overboard. Mine blooms all through the spring, and is covered in white flowers with a great fragrance that you can smell up to 10 feet away. When summer heat gets going it sheds most, but not all, of the flowers, but it still has nice, deep-green foliage. The only watering it gets is from rain and some overshooting of the sprinkler in my front yard. All in all I've been very happy with the combination of low maintenance, heat/drought tolerance, visual interest and fragrance. I'll probably try it on some bigger trellises sometime in other parts of the yard.

Neutral DM5337 On Jul 12, 2012, DM5337 from San Antonio, TX wrote:

I have had this Jasmine for about 5 yrs..it will grow and grow..looks more like a tree..I prune it and it grows again...but, never blooms. It only has bloomed once....at that time..it had vines..but, I had to take down the trellis and I pruned it back..ever since..it grows like a tree and will not bloom.

Neutral LDB63 On Jun 19, 2012, LDB63 from Belleview, FL wrote:

My comment is actually more of a question. A few years ago I had a neighbor who had Night Blooming Jasmine growing on a trellis near her front porch (zip 34488/Ocala National Forest). I had never smelled anything so beautiful! I moved into the Ocala, FL area (zip 34471) and there was someone in the neighborhood who had some growing....I never figured out who, but in the evenings when I got home from work, you could smell it through the whole neighborhood! Imagine my surprise and joy when I moved into a house in Belleview, FL (34420) and found what I truly thought was Night Blooming Jasmine growing from a trellis in the back yard! I am truly disappointed....I had to go out and literally stick my nose on a bloom before I could smell anything! The only thing I can conclude is that this particular type, the Jasminum nitidum, is NOT the one that is scented so wonderfully. Can anyone give me a hint here?
Laurie

Positive sunkissed On Mar 26, 2012, sunkissed from Winter Springs, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I am surprised I've never commented about this plant, since it has been growing in my garden since 2005. It is more of a huge shrub than a vine and pretty much keeps in its place. I have to rarely cut it back. Has been through some hard freezes with minimal damage. Gets mostly sun, but shaded by a tree during part of the day...mostly the morning, so can take hot afternoon sun. Not on irrigation, I hand water only during droughts, other than that is gets along with rain water only. Flowers are most prevalent in the springtime, but it blooms sporadically all summer long till first frost. I have never had a pest problem. The flowers don't have as strong of fragrance as other jasmines do, but if you are close to the plant you can smell the fragrance. The buds on this plant are as interesting as the flowers, they are a distinct striking purple color, then out pops the white flower. For me this plant is virtually taking care of itself and needs no extra care. A must for Central FL garden. Would look nice in a fence corner. Bees and butterflies like the flowers. Woody vine.

Neutral scshul On Apr 2, 2011, scshul from Birmingham, AL wrote:

i have mine in a pot and am going to replant in a larger pot. does it matter what side of the house it is on? i.e. east, west, north south???

Positive Beach_Barbie On Mar 23, 2011, Beach_Barbie from Kure Beach, NC (Zone 9a) wrote:

I bought three of these a few years ago and planted in the ground. I knew they were marginally hardy here, so wasn't surprised when only one survived the winter. I potted that up and it has done wonderfully. Love the scent and the gorgeous white blooms!

Positive khabbab On Jul 13, 2009, khabbab from lahore
Pakistan (Zone 10b) wrote:

In Lahore Pakistan, this is an evergreen vine/shrub. It blooms nonstop from March till November. Exotic blooms, great fragrance. I am growing it in a clay pot of 14 inches. In extreme summer heat of 100F+ it does slow down but as soon as weather comes back it starts again in july. It is more of a sprawling shrub than a vine. dead heading does promote more blooms.

Positive eje812 On May 6, 2008, eje812 from Port Lavaca, TX wrote:

Ive been growing this plant for about a year now, and for about 8 months it was in the pot i bought it in. during the late summer i was on vacation and it lost 1/3 of its leaves, and since i didnt give it any winter protection it lost 1/2 of the leaves that were left. However since the beginning of our local spring, it has gained back all of its leaves and is bigger than ever. Its also producing more blooms than before.

Positive gadsden On Jun 30, 2007, gadsden from Jacksonville, FL wrote:

My experience has been positive, especially considering the fact that I have badly neglected this poor plant (still in pot from nursery after 2 years!). I forget to water it for weeks and leave it baking in the sun on the patio so it dries up to the point where it looks dead, but then snaps back when I water. It seems to need a semi-shaded area.

Positive stressbaby On Jun 29, 2006, stressbaby from Fulton, MO wrote:

Suitable for greenhouse culture, where it will bloom steadily throughout the year. Cuttings root consistently, but take longer for me than others in the genus. Watch for mealybugs.

Neutral Lacrecia On May 25, 2006, Lacrecia from Madison, AL wrote:

I purchased my plant, about a month ago. Fully blooming and extremely fragrant. I re-potted in a larger pot, kept out on my balcony in morning sun and have almost lost every flower, they have dried up and died. Don't know what's wrong...someone please advise, I miss that fabulous fragrence in the evenings when I'm enjoying my balcony.

Positive IO1 On Jul 8, 2005, IO1 from Waaaay Down South, GA wrote:

This plant has wonderful fragrant, white flowers that have bloomed constantly since I purchased it from our local nursery in April 2005. It is currently growing in a pot on my deck, but I'll probably transplant it in the yard and trailis it as it loves to drape.

Positive Psychenaut On Jul 8, 2004, Psychenaut from Kansas City
United States wrote:

I've had my plant for about 2 months and it's almost tripled in size. Because I live in zone 5. . almost 6 I will have to take my vine inside for the winter but that shouldn't be a problem. I've noticed today that there is a seed pod hanging from an old flower shoot. . it's like a 2 inch green straight bannana and I'm very much sure it's a seed pod. . this should be an interesting experience. It's constantly flowering along side my Sambac bushes.

I feel the Made In New Orleans Jasmine Vine is a greate plant ***

Positive Pikake55 On Jun 13, 2004, Pikake55 from Pahoa, HI wrote:

This is a very fragrant flower, closely related to the jasmine known in Hawaii as pikake. Its fragrance is ammenable to making perfumes. In Hawaii, this particular jasmine is known as star pikake. I have cut my own plant back numerous times, trying to make it bush, but it seems to prefer to grow in an almost vine-like fashion. It does okay in heavily shaded areas, which might tend to cause it to grow in this manner for me. It needs well drained soil, more acid conditions. My plant is in rocky cinder-soil.

Positive fury On Apr 10, 2004, fury from Taft, CA wrote:

I love this plant. It looks beautiful with it's white flowers and deep green leaves. I put the vines growing along my fence and trailed some of them so they lay on top of the rocks in my outdoor water fountain.

I have it in the shade because the sun gets very hot here.

The plant stays pretty all year round here and grows and grows.

Positive Monocromatico On Jul 30, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

I got mine from a stem cutting. Put it on drained organic soil, and watered everyday until it started to grow again. It's now sharing the vase with an invasive cotton plant (planted it there by accident, actually), but even competing for water and soil, it blooms constantly. At nights I can sense the delicious smell from the star shaped white flowers. Sometimes nocturnal moths visit them.

Neutral justmeLisa On Aug 21, 2001, justmeLisa from Brewers, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

Evergreen vine in warm climates. It can reach to heights up to 20 ft. Very fragrant white star shaped flowers in endless clusters. Responds well to drastic pruning.

Birmingham, Alabama (2 reports)
Huntsville, Alabama
Bastrop, Texas
Blossom, Texas
Colmesneil, Texas
Corpus Christi, Texas
Georgetown, Texas (3 reports)
Port Lavaca, Texas
San Antonio, Texas (4 reports)