PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'San Marzano'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: San Marzano

Thumbnail #6 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by LenaBeanNZ

By mgarr
Thumbnail #7 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by mgarr

Negative ocean_314 On Sep 7, 2014, ocean_314 from Ukiah, CA wrote:

Lots of small fruits, little bigger then the pear shaped cherry tomato. Tasty but almost not with picking as it to so many tomatoes to equal one Roma. Very disappointed.

Positive goulot On Aug 12, 2013, goulot from Canton, MI wrote:

I grew these for cooking. In addition to those I grew from seeds (Johnny's Seeds), I bought a grafted plant at the supermarket.

The plants: they all grew well (some of my seedlings were killed by a late frost). The grafted plant is far more compact and carries more tomatoes, but some are difficult to reach, precisely because the plant is compact.

The tomatoes: my first batch of sauce was pink, not red. I was disappointed, but then I realized that the tomatoes were probably not ripe enough. My fault. The next two batches gave me a beautifully red sauce. The taste: OK with seasoning. (I am getting old and I think my taste buds may no longer be what they used to be.)

Positive lindypuddin On Mar 5, 2012, lindypuddin from stony mountain, MB (Zone 3a) wrote:

started late march..planted out late may 2011 the second roma variety i've grown planted in a raised planter on the west side of house. was slow to set fruit but then it took off.
did very well with our short manitoba season.
mid-to large sized plant
heavy leaf cover
left on the plant to ripen to soft thin-skinned
made the best deep red sauce ever.
required lots of water
fertilized three times with all purpose fertilizer.
stayed healthy till mid-september

Positive vadryn On Oct 31, 2011, vadryn from Logan, UT wrote:

I can't see myself trying another plum/paste tomato after my experience this year. Produced pounds and pounds of fruit all season long. Ripens well indoors and was the foundation of the most amazing tomato sauce I've ever had. I see why San Marzano is the standard by which other paste tomatoes are measured against (see Stanislaus tomato sauce). Can't recommend it enough.

Positive sierrasecretary On Apr 26, 2011, sierrasecretary from El Portal, CA wrote:

I have had sucess growing this tomato both in containers and in the ground. It has a long fruiting season in the Sierra foothills and seems to be remarkably pest-free. Green fruit ripens beautifully indoors. We enjoyed our last one of the 2010 season in January of 2011.

Positive Beta_Vulgaris On Mar 7, 2009, Beta_Vulgaris from Eaton Rapids, MI wrote:

San Marzano is the absolute best paste tomato I have ever grown. It had tremendose yeilds of large and very meaty fruit. Also this tomato is intermediate, a characteristic not found in many tomatoes. Probaly the only problem I had with this variety was that it is prone to getting blight.

P.S. If anyone has a variety they think is better please let me know.

Positive jjpm74 On Aug 9, 2007, jjpm74 from Stratford, CT (Zone 6b) wrote:

An above average medium yield paste tomato. Not quite as flavorful as other varieties, but more disease resistent. Fruits typically end up being around 4 inches long and 2-3 inches wide.

Holbrook, Arizona
Clarksville, Indiana
Des Moines, Iowa
Eaton Rapids, Michigan
Saint Joseph, Missouri
Omaha, Nebraska (2 reports)
Claremont, New Hampshire