Windowleaf, Ceriman, Split-leaf Philodendron, Mexican Breadfruit
Monstera deliciosa

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Monstera (mon-STER-uh) (Info)
Species: deliciosa (de-lis-ee-OH-suh) (Info)
Synonym:Philodendron pertusum
Synonym:Monstera lennea

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Cream/Tan

Variegated

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

From leaf cuttings

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Mobile, Alabama

Oakland, California

Pasadena, California

Rancho Cucamonga, California

San Clemente, California

San Diego, California (2 reports)

Thousand Oaks, California

Tampa, Florida

Titusville, Florida

Venice, Florida

Wauchula, Florida

West Palm Beach, Florida (2 reports)

Winter Haven, Florida

Usk, Washington

Cabin Creek, West Virginia

negative

On Jun 13, 2014, SRodenbough from USK, WA wrote:

I have had this plant for 30 years in a pot. It's 7 feet off the floor and 5 foot wide. Big pot with two poles that go straight up 6.5 feet off floor. Quite a few vines wind to the top and wind back down and wind back up again, etc.. It has many leaves 20" across. It takes 2-3 people to move it and I would need to go on it's side slightly to make that trip outside. I have never tried it summers outside yet. I have a number of other tropical types I summer outside in the bare garden spots in the heavy shade at first and then into light shade later. I have an Angel Wing Begonia that I just place out in 10 hour direct sunshine when chance of last frost is over. It burns leaves off and then within one month has brand new beautiful burgundy red leaves for the rest of summer. Loves full sun. The... read more

On Jan 7, 2014, Perhapsolutely from Portland, OR wrote:

These are extremely easy to propagate. Stem cuttings with a couple leaves can be started in water where they will survive and root quite happily for an indefinite period. Short leafless stem segments two or three inches long (at least one full internode) can be pressed horizontally into the soil about half buried, and if kept moist will soon sprout roots and leaves. If indoor space is at a premium and it's too cold to overwinter these outdoors, just take the largest cuttings you can accommodate and vase them each fall and they're happy to pick up where they left off when spring rolls around. That said, I've seen them survive on unprotected outdoor decks more than one early snow squall--a couple inches of snow on the leaves for several hours--with minimal leaf burning. They're hardier ... read more

On Jul 16, 2013, Surfgyrl from Mims, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I wanted to know if these Monstera delisiosa's will kill their host trees?
I plan on putting it next to an oak tree that grew wild here, not sure what kind the oak is.

On Sep 11, 2012, joegee from Bucyrus, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

WRONG! Not all parts of the plant are poisonous! Please read the comments above for clarification on how to enjoy monstera *deliciosa*.

On Jun 11, 2012, Jungleman from Pasadena, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Excellent understory plant in my Sunset 21 / USDA 9B garden. The most successful placement I have experienced is in full shade, but not in a cold pocket of any kind. If they freeze and lose their leaves when exposed to frost, the stems slowly rejuvenate. I place them in the warmest though shadiest part of my garden.

The huge, tropical , glossy leaves are a great companion to palms of all sorts to give the tropical feel.

On Apr 1, 2011, Brendulichka from Houston, TX wrote:

I love mine. But after 6 months of happy growing, it has drooped and appears to have root damage. The leaves and stems are still healthy. What can I do?

On Nov 23, 2010, smurfwv from Cabin Creek, WV (Zone 6a) wrote:

Monsteras are very pretty plants, i've had the opportunity to see a flower on a plant in a local greenhouse, they are peace lily like and 3 times bigger, beautiful flowers!

I have a question however, at what age/size does a monstera start producing flowers?

The leaves on mine are a foot wide, and the plant is 3 feet tall with a thick trunk. The roots are really cool, they're marbled maroon and green before they go into the ground, but interesting.

I noticed through looking at comments, a lot of people grow them in shade, however mine gets 3-4 hours of full sun and does fine, but I keep it consistently moist and mist often.

On Aug 8, 2010, Metrosideros from Keaau, HI wrote:

A very easy to grow, warm climate plant!

The Ceriman fruit tastes like pineapple & cinnamon.

The fruit is prepared by slicing the ripe spadix into thin sections then cutting away the skin and inner core. It's a great addition to a fruit salad. Ceriman & Bananas are a good mix!

On May 27, 2010, Dekejis from Roswell, GA wrote:

I've had the same Monstera for years in a pot - outside in the summertime and tossed in the unheated garage during the winter. It's come through fine each time. Sadly, this past winter here in Georgia was *exceptionally* bad, and I lost a great many of my plants, both hardy outdoor plants and those I usually overwinter indoors. Early on in the winter, I realized I'd forgotten to take my Monstera in and discovered it, all blackened, from a freeze. Alas! So I just left it outside all winter through many subsequent freezes and exceptionally low temps. Much to my surprise, I'm seeing two new little Monstera leads poking up from the soil around the old dead stem.

On May 1, 2010, Rymyles from Oakland, CA wrote:

My Monstera grew from a tiny house plant and now is several feet tall on the front porch mostly shaded but exposed to some direct sun. I first placed it outside in San Francisco, then my deck, and finally my porch in the East Bay. It now puts out beautiful giant leaves regularly. We don't get frost often this close to the bay, so with that respect it doesn't surprise me too much how well it has done outdoors. However, what really surprises me about Monstera Deliciosa is that it seems to continue to grow just fine even in the cooler temperature seasons. Mine just put out its first flower a few weeks ago, in the midst of a particularly cool and rainy winter! I really don't think this one gets enough credit for how well it will grow in cool but mild climates despite its very tropical or... read more

On Jan 22, 2010, SarahUCM from Santa Cruz, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Had as a potted houseplant for a few years. By the time we moved it had grown so leggy and ugly we were ready to throw it out. We stuck it in a shady spot in the ground just to temporarily fill in some empty space... its now survived two Central Valley winters and had turned into a BEAUTIFUL landscape plant that's green year round.

I would recommend trying it outside, even for those in marginal climates... its worth the risk!

On Jul 2, 2009, BajaBlue from Rancho Santa Rita, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Huge breadfruit (monstera deliciosa) are planted all over the University of Texas Pan American campus in Edibnurg,TX as outside landscaping plants,along with many other classic tropical plants.

On Oct 13, 2008, johnpeten from San Andres, Peten
Guatemala wrote:

These plants grow naturally in my garden in Guatemala. The fruit takes a year to ripen then it can be eaten. When unripe it is very unpleasant to eat.

An extract from:-
FLORA OF GUATEMALA
FIELDIANA: BOTANY
VOLUME 24, PART I
Published by
CHICAGO NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM
AUGUST 29, 1958

Monstera delicosa.

Usually a large and coarse, epiphytic vine, the stems stout, often greatly elongate,
sometimes 6 cm. thick; petioles often a meter long and 2-2.5 cm. thick; blades
of the earliest leaves small, cordate, entire, those of the succeeding leaves ovate cordate,
entire, or becoming pinnatifid; adult blades 40-60 cm. long or more, rather
thick and somewhat coriaceous, lustrous and bri... read more

On Mar 7, 2008, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Mexican Breadfruit (Monstera deliciosa), an introduced plant in Florida, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, has become naturalized in these areas.

On Dec 11, 2007, jdiaz from Chowchilla, CA wrote:

Monstera Deliciosa is the one with split leaves
Monstera Obliqua is the one with the windows.
Hope this clears some doubts.

On Nov 10, 2007, jemcd9603 from Charlotte, NC wrote:

I have a screen room outside and during the summer mths in Charlotte this plant thrives really well. I found the readings from others a great tool as during the hot mths my leaves turn brown but I know now that I need to spray them with a mist. The plant is very easy to grow; I do not over water so that is most likely why I have no issues with the plant growing. It is now getting cold and as I read from one reader moving it inside is a big task. My plant is 4 ft wide by 2 - 3 ft high, it creeps sideways in my pot and I am thinking about trying to cut it back and start other plants with the cuttings. Others have written that this plant propagates well, so I will try it. Thanks to all for the great tips.

On Oct 11, 2007, WaterCan2 from Eastern Long Island, NY (Zone 7a) wrote:

Grew five plants from seed, over 10yrs old now. Mine tolerate 45F for better than 6hrs without damage. Tenacious, it can send a root out over 4 feet looking for water! I know... It sent one through, (not around), my living room curtain! The more the sun the greater the demand. The only thing I don't like about this plant is that it's crooked stems are not strong enough to carry it's huge load by themselves. Leaves regularly reach 12"+ in length. Always a conversation piece.

On Sep 22, 2007, sparkfan from Hillsborough, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I began working as a merchandiser for tropicals in my local Home Depot store. The Monstera was the only one in the store and in need of transplanting. It was about 18 inches tall and about 12 inches wide. I repotted it and now in September it is about 36 inches tall and about 48 inches wide. I have had it on my deck and will soon have to find someplace with enough room for it in my house! I have found that it is an extremely easy plant to take care of. I water mine about once a week and it continues to thrive. Late July and early August found it covered with tree frogs which came to find mates. I have added a picture of two of them on one of the large leaves.

On Mar 26, 2007, plantladylin from (Zone 1) wrote:

I love this plant for it's Tropical look! It can grow very large, 25' or more and the leaves can get to 3'. It seems to like very bright light, but no direct sun! I water it thoroughly about once a week. The newer leaves don't have the splits, but attain them as they get larger and older.

On Dec 15, 2006, tmccullo from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

We have one growing inside by a window and it is doing very well here in Houston, Tx. We also took a piece of it and planted it in our back yard under our banana trees and it is huge. The leaves are about the size of a garbage can top and it is trying to climb the bananas. It went through 3 mornings of 30 degree weather and suffered no damage. The one outside seem to be much larger that the one we have kept indoor,

On Nov 16, 2006, Zoe1025 from Tulsa, OK wrote:

I love this plant! Can anyone give me some information about the trimming of the plant? They've become rather large and unrully. I must find a way to make them more attractive (and smaller) and I don't want to harm them by doing too much. Do you tie them up to a central stake? What's the best way to do that and make them attractive in your home?

On Sep 19, 2006, keonikale from Lexington, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

Small, medium, or large this plant is a real joy to grow. The smaller the plant the faster it typically grows. I have several smaller m. deliciosa's I picked up from Lowe's and Home Depot and they have grown very quickly, doubling in size in a year.

The larger plants I purchased from a tropical dealer and they grow much slower, about one new leaf every 45 days or so. They can get very large. Letting them climb something will help with their creeping out of the pot and putting aerial roots all over everything. Moss covered polls have worked best, but I've also used bamboo with no problem.

The only problem I've had with monstera's are mites. Last year I think I brought home a new plant with mites and/or aphids and they spread to my smaller plants almost decimati... read more

On Aug 29, 2006, jungleboy_fl from Naples, FL wrote:

Few tropical plants conjure up images of the exotic tropical jungle better than Monstera deliciosa. It is a popular design in hawaiian printed shirts and fabrics, showing up in paintings and printed on everything from shower curtains to ceramics. In the right climate, these are majestic, lush and vigorous aroids which pair extraordinarily well with palms, tree ferns, and large tropical shade trees. In fact, locally we have a massive Ficus benghalensis (Banyan) completely draped in the old monstera vine- quite a sight.

This plant is commonly confused with the Split Leaf Philodendron, (Philodendron bipinnatifidum). Despite the vague similarities, Monstera deliciosa IS NOT A PHILODENDRON.

Growth is extremely rapid during the long humid summers. I've noticed ... read more

On Aug 3, 2006, jannerb from Newport Beach, CA wrote:

My monstera is in a tiny brick planter in front of my 1950's ranch front patio, in Newport Beach CA. (northeast facing, so afternoon shade). The planter isn't irrigated at all, it just gets rainwater from the roof. The plant is a full story tall now, with no care whatsoever. I just took my first cutting to propagate for the back yard, so wish me luck. I probably get about 10 fruits per year, but I haven't been adventuresome enough to try one yet...I just like the tropical look of the plant.

On Jul 18, 2006, wtliftr from Wilson's Mills, NC wrote:

Just found some fruits in a nearby Kroger...I've been looking for the fruit for YEARS!! Does anyone have a photo of the seeds? And how many are in the plant? The fruit still isn't fully ripe, so I haven't seen the inside yet...Can't wait to taste the fruit.
How hard is it to grow them from seeds?

On Jul 13, 2006, RoyRogers from Tampa, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

The images uploaded are of 2 different plants. I grow both of them in my Tampa, FL, USA backyard. If you look at the plant images, one plant leaf is very large and has actual holes in the leaves. The other plant images shows a plant with the leaves split from the edges. I don't know the actual scientific differences in the names of the plants, but they are not the same plant.

Roy

On Jun 19, 2006, kznchik from Bellflower, CA wrote:

It performs amazingly well here in coastal LA, California. I've purchased one about a year ago as a youngster at a Home Depot and since then it has developed into quite the handsome mature-looking plant. It's currently living under bright, partially sunny conditions and gets plenty of water when the weather gets hot and dry (otherwise the sun will burn ugly brown holes into the leaves). In spring/summer, each stem sends up new, beautifully perforated leaves about every other week. Looks beautiful and never complains; one of my favorite plants!

On Apr 3, 2006, NorCalBrad from Berkeley, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Fifteen years ago, my monstera deliciosa outgrew the small, dark apartment to which I had recently moved, and with some reluctance I put the plant outside, not expecting it to survive.

It thrived. At one point, its aerial roots had extended the entire length of the twelve-foot walkway along which it was planted, and had to be cut back so as not to trip visitors. Despite being potbound, subject to foot traffic, and the occasional victim of objects thrown or dropped from the apartment upstairs, it continued to grow, creating its own microclimate for other plants around it.

It has since gone through several moves, and has always ended up in a semi-sheltered outdoor spot here in the San Francisco Bay Area (zone 9b), where it remains a vital, active plant. I rec... read more

On Jan 8, 2006, GreenEyedGuru from SF Bay Area, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Saw a gorgeous speciment growing and blooming/fruiting in a courtyard in San Francisco.

On Dec 8, 2005, jenonjono from Hillsboro, OR wrote:

HELP! We have a windowleaf that was doing fantastic outside in mostly shade. It's got at least 10 leaves on it. I'm surprised after reading how tropical this plant is that it did so well in the outdoors of Oregon. It did however suffer an unfortunate night outside while we were moving, and it dropped to 27 degrees that night.

ALL the leaves are now burned or dead, however the stems seem solid and are still nice and green. Anyone have suggestions on how to save this plant? It's now indoors at least for the winter and we keep it humid in the attempt to save it. Should I cut off all the dead leaves? Should I attempt to start over with a cutting from it?
Please help.

On Sep 12, 2005, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

Easily hardy to zone 9a. Grows more like a big groundcover in Nor Cal. Fruit in good years ripens to a banana/pineapple syrupy flavor. But a great looking tropical with three foot leaves underused in the bay area. In rich soil the color is almost black green. I have read that this common house plant is now rare in the wild's of Mexico .

On Aug 9, 2005, Cyanidae from Malabar, FL wrote:

I love this plant for the tropical feel it gives the landscape, and for the way it climbs up the trees. So far I haven't had any trouble with it being invasive, in fact, it had a slow start. I have mine going up a large Longleaf pine in eastern exposure, and it seems to like the light level.

Does anybody know how long it takes before fruiting? I have tried the fruit and it is outstanding! About the glassy fibers, the easiest way to avoid them is to wait until the scales fall off by themselves- don't force them no matter how good it is! It takes a little while, but as "scales" pull away from the fruit, slice it at that point, and pull off the little kernels. It's tasty- kind of exotic.

On Apr 22, 2005, TropicalLover21 from Santa Maria, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I have this plant and I love it. I bought it in a 5 gallon container 2 years ago. I had it inside the house for awhile, until I found a spot outside in the garden for it. Well, I moved it outside right before winter (we get down to about 32 here), and it didn't grow until spring. All throughout winter I thought I killed it, yet the leaves were still green and healthy.

It has done well since then, and the winter months don't seem to affect it. It grows slowly, but it has huge, huge, awesome leaves!! I don't know what to do with it when it starts to out grow its space!!! It's a very pretty plant, and gives a good tropical look outside or inside. I would tell all my friends to buy one, or I would buy one for them!! I really think, if you are going to get one, to get one in a b... read more

On Apr 22, 2005, gabe9198 from Houston, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant does a lot to add texture to a garden with a lot of open space and a lot of shade. Mine has outgrown the 5 feet I orignally gave it. Make sure you're not in a hurry to fill space. Best used a specimen plant with lots of room to grow.

On Jan 4, 2005, janetplanet from Saint Petersburg, FL wrote:

Easy to grow and adds a nice tropical look! Seems to thrive in sun or shade. Zone 9b

On Oct 3, 2004, monstera from gloucester
United Kingdom wrote:

I love this plant. Two large cuttings are growing in my conservatory. The mother plant was rescued from a dustbin 10 years ago and has been producing fruit. This is in Gloucester, in the UK. Anyone know what size pot it will need to allow it to fruit? The mother plant has burrowed into an underground well.

On Aug 1, 2004, punaheledp from Kailua, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

Love this plant and wish I had place for one. Where I've seen it to best effect is in contained, semi-shady outdoor areas and kept to about 3'-5' in height.

On Mar 30, 2004, tiareman from Melbourne Beach, FL wrote:

Monstera Deliciosa is a really cool plant that really adds the tropical look to its surroundings.

I have been growing this plant outdoors in Melbourne Beach Florida for a few years now. I started them from little plants about 1-2' high. What really gets them growing the big leaves with the big holes is if they feel they have room to expand.. I wouldnt expect the giant leaves if keeping them bound up in a small pot. They will grow a kind of winding "trunk" and it seems that the big leaves come when this trunk is starting to form.

They don't like full sun. Too much sun will pale out the leaves, theyll get yellowy and burns tips. For vigourous healthy growth they need alot of humidity, some shade/filtered light and protection from drying wind.

Col... read more

On Feb 27, 2004, mabaccus from Corpus Christi, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant can be found growing outdoors all over town (Corpus Christi, TX). It grows to monstrous size, both height and width, which is one reason I haven't planted it, though I admire it greatly. I'm told it spreads all over your property, which is the other reason I haven't planted it, but like to look at it!

On Dec 3, 2003, patischell from Fort Pierce, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

This plant grew around the base of a Poinciana tree in my yard in Miami, FL. It grew so fast and large it was necessary to keep it in check with a machete. The stems and leaves were over my head, 5'2". My husband harvested the fruit and ate it to treat his Arthritis. I don't know if this is an accepted treatment, but he said it worked

On Nov 12, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

The fruits must be totally ripe to eat them; until that point, the plant bears oxalate crystals that will bring you the unpleasing sensation of eating razors :^P Anyway, when ripe it smells good and has a taste that resembles Pineapple.

On Nov 12, 2003, amorning1 from Islamorada, FL wrote:

New growth is supposed to be pale, it doesn't mean its sickly.

On Aug 11, 2003, Dustman wrote:

I've started seedlings in a covered tray and have had a high sucess rate. The seeds are placed on top of the soil plugs and are covered with a thin, clear plastic cover (cut sandwich baggies)that keeps the seeds moist and protected from cold air currents when I lift the cover to water them. I keep the soil plugs moist with about 3 shots from a mister on a daily basis. The seed tray is kept at a constant 78F to 83F by a regulated warming pad. When the sprouts hit the clear cover, I transplant to small plastic pots with regular potting soil that I also keep moist, but well drained. During this process I have taken pictures of the growth and will post soon.

I hope this helps the people who would like to see the "beginning" of these fascinating plants. It is VERY difficult to ... read more

On Jun 12, 2003, teddyJ from Rockhampton
Australia wrote:

The fruit of this plant is very palatable and tastes like fruit salad; hence the epithet deliciosa.

The common name for this fruit in our part of Australia is "Fruit Salad". The hexagonal green scales start to lift from the stem end of the fruit when ripe. After picking the fruit, the scales are removed as they come loose. The whitish sections revealed are removed from the central core and are delicious. Care needs to be taken to remove most of the black dust from the white flesh. This dust is quite peppery when eaten.

On Feb 25, 2003, sclarke from Macungie, PA wrote:

Monstera deliciosa sweats when the compost is too moist. (Alocasia does this too.) Not a big deal, just lighten up on the watering. It could cause root rot if not careful though.

The leaves turn brown when air is not moist enough, so spray the leaves a couple times a day - especially in winter when the heat is on. Puny new growth is either too little or too much light.

(Note: this posting really does nothing to support my rating - suffice to say i'm a plant addict and this is one of my most cherished favorites:)

On Feb 15, 2003, parkersellers wrote:

I am growing a small one from a clipping, the leaves do not yet have windows. It seems very healthy with a lot of water and light. AND it "sweats". Each morning the leaves have water droplets on them. None of my other plants have this.

On Dec 19, 2002, Fossilhill wrote:

I have found it difficult to keep healthy. Leaves turn brown at edges and new growth often is pale and sickly.

On Oct 8, 2002, Denko from stermarie
Denmark (Zone 6b) wrote:

This is one of the easiest houseplants - can take a lot of abuse.