PlantFiles: Whorlflower, Himalayan Whorlflower
Morina longifolia

Family: Caprifoliaceae (cap-ree-foh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info) (cap-ree-foh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Morina (mor-IN-uh) (Info)
Species: longifolia (lon-jee-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)

Alpines and Rock Gardens

Pale Pink
Rose/Mauve

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Thumbnail #1 of Morina longifolia by Joy

By bootandall
Thumbnail #7 of Morina longifolia by bootandall

Positive saya On Aug 6, 2008, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

I've planted out eight seedlings early summer 2007 but one by one they died nearly directly after planting out. I do not know why..they were looking healthy and already nice little plants. I suspect this was caused by the very rainy summer we've had in 2007. Only one seedling survived and flowered in its second year after sowing..wonderful. I'll save seeds and try to propagate more plants. I hope that the one plant that I have will increase and produce babies. Flowers are nicely scented..a Lily-of-the-Valley scent. After flowering the spike is still pretty and interesting to see. And yes...seedlings can be easily mistaken as unwanted plants (that we call weeds). I think they are a little frost tender..so I've planted them very sheltered.

Neutral altagardener On Apr 21, 2008, altagardener from Calgary, AB (Zone 3b) wrote:

An easy, warm germinator.

Neutral Joy On Jun 23, 2006, Joy from Kalama, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I started morina longifolia by winter sowing the seed 6 years ago. It took 4 years from seed to bloom for the first time in my garden. When people see this plant when it's not in bloom they ask why I'm growing stickers in my garden?
It does look similar to thistle except the foliage is a shiny darker green. The flowers are beautiful and look nothing like a thistle.
It produces only a small amount of seed for me each year. The seeds are hard to harvest because of the fine needle like stickers that surround the dried seed pod.

Neutral Baa On Aug 13, 2002, Baa wrote:

An evergreen perennial from the Himalayas.

Has linear, glossy, dark green leaves with sharp spines along the leaf margins. Bears tiered whorls of white flowers that turn pale pink and then rosy red after fertilisation.

Flowers June-September

Loves a very well-drained, poorish soil in full sun. It hates winter wet and in shade become susceptable to rot and slugs. They make good spot or group plants for a sunny border.

, Newfoundland and Labrador