PlantFiles: Prayer Plant
Maranta leuconeura

Family: Marantaceae
Genus: Maranta (muh-RAN-tuh) (Info)
Species: leuconeura (loo-koh-NOOR-uh) (Info)

Partial to Full Shade

Variegated
Blue-Green
Burgundy
Bronze-Green

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Thumbnail #1 of Maranta leuconeura by Monocromatico

Thumbnail #5 of Maranta leuconeura by kniphofia

Thumbnail #6 of Maranta leuconeura by kniphofia

Thumbnail #7 of Maranta leuconeura by kniphofia

Positive exdoc55 On Oct 30, 2012, exdoc55 from Hattiesburg, MS (Zone 8b) wrote:

My plant given to me by a neighbor upon our move from Beaumont, TX to Raymond MS in 1989(his was growing outside, sheltered, in mostly shade. I planted outside in MS and it was deciduous in action. After 9 years I returned to BMT, TX and continued to grow outside, again dying back in winter but always returned. Now have returned to MS in 2011, some 100 miles more southerly and is yet with me. Have divided at least 4-5 times to give during this time. Mine is blooming now in mid-late Oct./Nov. and looks great.

Positive seanjs On Oct 19, 2009, seanjs from Orlando, FL wrote:

Ive had some in a bed next to a pond in mostly shade for about 4 or 5 years now. They die back each November/December and pop back up the following summer. They tolerated the Central Florida freezes (mid 20's) this past winter.

Positive rwielgosz On Apr 22, 2007, rwielgosz from Washington, DC (Zone 6b) wrote:

This was a great little houseplant for me. I was given it in a pot with two other plants, and eventually the philodendron squeezed out the prayer plant and the other one.

I noticed that if it got direct sunlight, the red and even the pale green of the leaves would fade away. Move it back from the window, and the leaves would regain their beautiful coloration in a couple of weeks.

Positive stacymarie On Feb 20, 2004, stacymarie wrote:

I acquired my prayer plant in one of those plant gift baskets and have since replanted it in a pot of its own. It is of a different variety than those pictured, with the patches of darker green, rather than the striping. Even though it has flowered and put out new leaves from the existing plant, it has just begun to put new ones out from the root. I received a pleasant surprise when these new leaves had burgundy patches, rather than the dark green. I did nothing different for the plant before the new shoots appeared, although shortly after they started sprouting, I added a plant spike. I don't know what I did to cause this two tone plant, but I am not complaining. It is very enjoyable!

Neutral jeany On Nov 5, 2003, jeany wrote:

An otherwise healthy "Prayer Plant" in our office was accidently knocked over and several clumps broke off from the root. We have been trying to root these in water; however, they are beginning to wilt and curl.

Positive adairia On Jul 25, 2003, adairia from Tyler, TX wrote:

I have had my Maranta ("Prayer Plant" or "Rabbit's Foot") for about 20 years. The tiny flowers look like little orchids. I pull mine off; always have. I was told the plant will go to seed and die if the flowers were not pulled off. It doesn't hurt it, and maybe helps. I will continue to pull the blossoms stems out.

Mine sits in a cache pot on gravel. I keep it fairly damp, and have never have repotted it. I cut off the old leaves, which can be easily rooted.

Jones, Alabama