PlantFiles: Glory Flower, Princess Flower
Tibouchina urvilleana

Family: Melastomataceae
Genus: Tibouchina (tib-OO-kee-nuh) (Info)
Species: urvilleana (ur-VIL-ah-nuh) (Info)

Synonym:Tibouchina maudhiana

Thumbnail #6 of Tibouchina urvilleana by Violet

By Ulrich
Thumbnail #7 of Tibouchina urvilleana by Ulrich

Negative kickme On Sep 15, 2013, kickme from Houston, TX wrote:

I was given a beautiful Princess Flower about 3 ft. tall in full bloom and planted it on north side of house with some sun. It has been dying stem by stem...first, the leaves wilt and then turn brown...then another branch wilts and turns brown. I have lost about half my plant this way and feel it must have some disease that is not apparent by looking at it. Can you give me some advice which will treat and save this plant. I know all about over-watering, etc. and I know this is not the cause of its decline. I am a senior with many years of growing experience. Thanks very much.
kickme

Positive Dragon1946 On Nov 20, 2012, Dragon1946 from North Highlands, CA wrote:

I like to call it "princess Flower.I have had one for about 3 years,almost 4 foot tall.I worry about it in the frost months.I have tried miniture xmas lights.The results are not what I want it to be.Just before spring,I will cut it back to where the stem is fresh and has a few good leaves.It rebounds nicely.

Positive RosinaBloom On Oct 10, 2012, RosinaBloom from Waihi
New Zealand (Zone 1) wrote:

The Tibouchina urvilleana - also known as 'Brazilian Glorybush' in New Zealand - is a vigorous-growing, evergreen shrub. The deep violet-purple flowers open over a long period from Summer through to Autumn, and give a wonderful display in any garden. I planted one in my new garden, and it flowered in its first Summer season. When frosts are expected it needs to be protected.

Positive Novicegardener9 On Aug 16, 2012, Novicegardener9 from Lima, PA wrote:

I bought this plant from a road side stand in NJ. I live in Pa. It was a little bitty thing, just about one foot. Now it is almost three feet tall with blooms every day! Absolutely beautiful. I did not know what it was when I bought it, but the road side stand had a huge tree, almost 6 feet with flowers abundant! Right now I have it in a pot on my deck. Does anyone know how to care for it during our Pa winters?

Positive stephenp On Jul 15, 2012, stephenp from Wirral, UK, Zone 9a
United Kingdom (Zone 9a) wrote:

Interestingly, I once knew a guy who grew this outside permanently in UK, he was near Liverpool UK, he would protect it in winters and he managed to keep it either evergreen, or semi-evergreen depending on the winter. It's more of a challenge here before winters are wet and cold, rather than the dry and cold in USA, and despite an average minimum of only -3 to -4C each winter, it can still present problems. Still with a little protection and care, this plant cant make it through even the most inclement conditions.

I got one today we'll see how it goes, at the moment it's in a pot and most likely it will sit in the greenhouse this winter.

Positive Eleonora69 On Jun 8, 2012, Eleonora69 from Toronto

Beautiful plant, non stop flowers.I have it as a houseplant in my apartment. Easy to take care of, only problem doesn't like to be moved around. The summer is coming but our night in Canada fresh in June. So I was trying to put it outside during the day and pull buck inside at night. It did not appreciated my effort to give it some natural conditions, prefers to stay where it is. But in my opinion this plant worth an effort to keep it happy. Flowers last only for 1 day but next day another one is coming.

Positive newgreenguy On May 13, 2012, newgreenguy wrote:

This plant grows very well here in SoCal's mild climate, but does much better along the coast than inland where frost is more prevalent. I bought two small 5gl at the beginning of spring and they took off immediately. Some people train them as patio trees which is what I plan to do. The only downside that I see is that they tend to get leggy if left untrimmed.

Positive donnacreation On Mar 26, 2012, donnacreation from Sumter, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I bought this plant last spring, and by late September it had grown into a beautiful flowering shrub about 4'x4'. I didn't think it would survive here in zone 8a, so I took cuttings last fall that rooted easily
indoors - no rooting hormone needed. Winter was milder than normal - lowest temps 3 nights @ 17f. This plant survived winter w/light mulch and the lower branches are already forming new leaves. It is definitely hardy to at least zone 8b, and it's a great addition to perennial gardens in the SE US.

Positive Manray On Mar 13, 2012, Manray from Washington, GA wrote:

I have a really dear friend who runs a small flower nursery from her home here in northeast Georgia. Several years ago she came across only a few of these Tibouchina plants. She gave me one and told me it was a tropical plant and to take it home and plant it just to see how much success I had with it. It has done really well here. I've realized since then that you do NOT see these plants around here anywhere! You can't even find them to buy unless it's online. They are such amazing, beautiful plants. I really do wish they were more readily available in this area. I would love to have one of the trees also. I enjoy mine so much. So if you see one of these pretty ladies just sitting there, my advice would be to GRAB it !

Positive marymary03102010 On Aug 2, 2011, marymary03102010 from Deltona, FL wrote:

I was fengshewi-ing my front yard and you are suposed to put blues and purple no your north part to draw money which is why I was doing all this my husband lost his job of 7years. so far no money but I love this plant if we lose the house I am digging it up.

Positive spear On Jun 9, 2011, spear from Merced, CA wrote:

I live in Merced which is zone 9. If you can get it planted right after the frost is over, it will establish enough so that when it dies to the ground in winter, it can shoot right back up and bloom the next spring.

Negative butch1 On Jul 5, 2010, butch1 from Eureka, CA wrote:

Tibouchina urvilleana and its relatives should never be planted in Hawaii. I have spent hundreds of dollars and countless hours of time attempting to eradicate it from my one acre homesite in Volcano Village, Big Island, Hawaii,elevation 4,000 '. It smothers everything in its path and is a serious ecological threat to native species of plants and the native birds they depend on. I have had to resort to using power herbicides to keep it under control. In our area it spreads not only by seeds but by underground runners. Please, if you are living in Hawaii never, ever, plant Tibouchina.

Positive atisch On Apr 6, 2010, atisch from Alameda, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Princess Flower is one of the most planted and beautiful flowering plants (shrubs/small trees) in the San Francisco Bay Area. While almost always in bloom, the plant itself is extremely attractive even when it isn't, as new growth takes on a wonderful crimson cast. It can easily be trained as either a bush or tree-like form. The most beautiful specimens are periodically pruned as wild growth can get leggy. It needs fairly heavy watering during the first year and seems to need average water thereafter especially when its feet are in the shade of a low-growing, evergreen perennial, for example azalea. Easily reaches 8 feet or more in a few years.

I personally find it misleading to give a negative rating after planting it in Hawaii. It has been known there as a "noxious weed" there for over a quarter century. Anyone who plants it there in the last decade or so should have known better. OTOH, it was certainly the most beautiful noxious weed that I observed in my first trip to the Islands in 1982 and subsequently. It doesn't seem to have any better a foothold there now than back then.

Positive wendymadre On Dec 7, 2009, wendymadre from Petersburg, VA wrote:

I bought a small Tibouchina two years ago, and in my Zone 7 garden, it stays outside after the danger of frost has passed, and comes inside for the winter. I am in the process of pruning it to be a standard, and keep it in a large pot (18 inch--equivalent to five gallon, roughly). When I brought it in this year right after Thanksgiving, it was still blooming generously. I winter it over in an uninsulated-but-attached glass porch. It is a lovely plant. I didn't get around to pruning it this year until I brought it in, and I am interested to see if any of the cuttings thrive in the cold. Not the recommended schedule for propagation, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Positive fullsun007 On Jul 25, 2009, fullsun007 from Gainesville, FL wrote:

This a great plant, I have several in my north central Florida garden. I picked mine up from Lowe's for $0.50 each as they had been neglected and left for dead at the end of last year. These are good plants for a partial shady area of your yard. They have velvety soft leaves which contrast well with the vivid large purple flowers. Semi woody stems root easily in damp soil. This year we had 2 back to back nights with lows of 21oF this knocked my princess flowers back to the ground. They rebounded this spring and are now4 feet tall and starting to bloom. For other north Florida or zone 8 gardeners the blooms on this plant, makes it worth a shot.

Positive Annepaola On Aug 20, 2008, Annepaola from Manahawkin, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

In 2005 on Mothers' Day I visited a Rutgers University Agriculture garden in New Brunswick, NJ. Every woman who made a purchase or asked for the free plant for being a mother was given one of these plants in about a quart pot. It took me some searching before I could ID it and get information. But it did grow nicely for me and even had one bloom when left outside and forgotten into the fall. I brought it inside and nursed it through the winter. The next year it grew quite large and flowered beautifully with intensely colored blooms. I brought to Florida to live out its life in a warm climate, and kept dozens of cuttings. Only one has survived and is about 4 feet tall. I am hoping it will begin bloominng soon. And soon I expect I will have to think who will be willing to adopt into their greenhouse or southern home.

Positive SanRamonCA On Apr 24, 2008, SanRamonCA wrote:

I planted one of these last summer here (San Ramon, zone 9a) in a sunny, wind-protected spot. It survived the winter with no damage.

It has gorgeous flowers and is in bloom most of the year.

Now I've planted two more.

Neutral htop On Oct 28, 2007, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I had 2 princess flowers growing in containers. Last winter due to my Mother being gravely ill, I did not have time to bring them in or cover them during the coldest night we had. Unfortunately, they did not return in the spring. I am hoping that they are providing my Mother with beautiful blooms in heaven. While in Maui in October, I observed many huge plants growing along roadways and in many other areas that receive lots of rain. Later I learned that anyone seeing them should phone in their location so they can be destroyed by the Agriculturtal Department. They are introduced native plants in the Hawaiian Islands and Puerto Rico.

Negative BettBi On Sep 28, 2006, BettBi from Pahoa, HI wrote:

I have spent a good part of the past year trying to eradicate this invasive plant and its cousin, Puna rose (Melastoma candidum), from my acre lot in the Puna district of the Big Island of Hawai'i. It threatens our native forest of ohia and hapu'u (tree fern), and exemplifies that the term "noxious weed" is relative to one's environment.

Neutral daylily10301 On Sep 22, 2006, daylily10301 from Staten Island, NY (Zone 6b) wrote:

I love the way the plant looks and grows outside. I did not transplant it as I was told it was not winter hardy in zone 6B (Staten Island, New York 10301). A nursery I trusted sold it to me and didn't let me know that it could grow as high as 12 to 15 feet and I don't see myself getting this in and out each Spring.

Positive Mexico_retired On Sep 15, 2006, Mexico_retired from San Juan Cosala, Lake Chapala, Jalisco
Mexico (Zone 11) wrote:

My Princess Flower is budding and blooming prolifically and is so beautiful. It is in a large pot on my patio with afternoon sun and almost nightly rain. At 5,000 ft elevation on Lake Chapala in Mexico (100miles from coast...35 miles south of Guadalajara) this wonderful plant thrives down here (70-75 degrees in summer...60s in winter. Such a deep rich velvety royal purple. One of my favorites.

Positive ncflowerlady On May 7, 2006, ncflowerlady from Durham, NC wrote:

We moved from Memphis where we had this plant in our front yard two years ago. Upon the move, we dug it up and brought it to the Durham, N.C. area and replanted it. Last year, it did not bloom but got about 3' tall. This year it is coming back with the velvet green leaves. It has been planted in full sun with minimal care. Mulched with pine straw. Will update as to blooms. It is beautiful and quite showy when it does bloom. It has survived two winters in this area. The other night we found that Home Depot had two of these for sale.

Positive MamaPecan On May 6, 2006, MamaPecan from Clayton, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

5/6/06. We put in 3 of these plants in spring 2001,expected an annual but were surprised the next late spring when the plant sprouted from the soil line and came back beautifully every year since. Due to unusually dry conditions we are still waiting for this years shoots.- will update.

Positive BSD On Oct 27, 2005, BSD from Conway, SC wrote:

Glory Bush also called Princess Flower is a shrub like perennial. It produces royal purple, 3" blooms with velvet-like medium-green foliage from spring to fall. Non-stop color.
Light: Sun to light shade
Propagation: stem cuttinngs.
Plant is herbaceous

Positive Witchie On Aug 7, 2005, Witchie from Belle Chasse, LA wrote:

Easy to grow: stem cuttings root quickly in any soil. An occasional trim is needed to shape plant.

Neutral sdlady On Jul 10, 2005, sdlady from San Diego, CA (Zone 11) wrote:

Also known as Pleroma grandifora, Tibouchina urvilleana is widely cultivated in warm areas with mild climates for its attractive purple flowers. In Hawai'i, this species is a pest in moist areas where it forms large thickets and spreads vegetatively.

Positive JaxFlaGardener On Feb 26, 2005, JaxFlaGardener from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have several of these plants. They survived winter temperatures this year as low as 28 F on a few nights with some protection from hay mulch around the roots (I am on the borderline of Zone 8b/9a). There seemed to be more damage from cold winds than the cold itself: some plants were partially frost damaged where exposed to wind while branches lower on the same plant and out of the wind remained fresh and green. I propagate the Tibouchinas easily by cuttings. When I prune them to maintain a shape (they can tend to get somewhat "leggy"), I just stick the pruned cuttings into moist soil around the mother plant and let them root if they choose. They bloom for me in both sun and shade. The flowers, even if short lived and not plentiful at any one time, provide a deep, vibrant blue/purple that is a joy to behold!

Negative BabybloomerCA On Jul 22, 2004, BabybloomerCA from Los Angeles, CA wrote:

Three days ago I bought a beautiful Princess all ready to bloom. The following morning and each subsequent morning I awaken to beautiful blooms. The problem: As soon as the Princess blooms, she loses her blooms. It seems the petals on the ground are as abundant as the petals on the plant.

Positive RichSwanner On Jan 12, 2004, RichSwanner from Citrus Heights, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This plant here( zone 9) is at every nursery. I took this picture today 01/11/04 at 11:58 A.M. I didn't think they were frost hardy, this one is in the parking lot of Windmill Nursey in Carmichael Ca. We have had some pretty frosty nights, and on into the day,but it looks pretty good. I went to see an Abutilon that's also in the same lot, it was good too.

Positive wanda0810 On Oct 22, 2003, wanda0810 from Ashville, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I bought one of these plants in the spring in a six-inch pot but it quickly grew into a very large plant. It has turned out to be one of the prettiest flowers I have ever seen; it's now the middle of October and is still blooming like crazy. I will no doubt bring it into the house for the winter since we are USDA Zone 5.

If you can find this plant dont pass it by - grab it and wait for the show to begin! It is well worth the wait.

Positive kathyctbc On Sep 29, 2002, kathyctbc wrote:

The flowers are good for cutting. Fertilize after each blooming period. It will recover from frost/freeze.

Positive Violet On Jul 31, 2002, Violet from Springfield, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is a gorgeous plant and flowers daily. Fast growing here in the midwest in full sun. I love it. Definitely a favorite.

Positive Chili On Jul 22, 2002, Chili from Raleigh, NC wrote:

Tibouchina urvilleana is not supposed to be winter hardy here in Raleigh, North Carolina (U.S.) but has overwintered. It has outstanding flower color. it has not flowered so far this year, but we are in a severe drought.

Clanton, Alabama
Fairhope, Alabama
Mobile, Alabama
Alameda, California
Amesti, California
Belmont, California
Berkeley, California (2 reports)
Brisbane, California
Fortuna, California
Fresno, California
Long Beach, California
Manhattan Beach, California
Martinez, California (2 reports)
Monrovia, California
Pleasant Hill, California
Redwood City, California
Sacramento, California
Salinas, California
San Francisco, California (3 reports)
San Jose, California (2 reports)
San Mateo, California
Auburndale, Florida
Bradley, Florida
Clearwater, Florida
Clermont, Florida
Daytona Beach, Florida (2 reports)
Deltona, Florida (2 reports)
Dunnellon, Florida
Fort Lauderdale, Florida (2 reports)
Fort Mc Coy, Florida
Fort Myers, Florida
Fruitland Park, Florida
Gainesville, Florida
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Interlachen, Florida
Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)
Lakeland, Florida
Ocoee, Florida
Odessa, Florida
Oldsmar, Florida
Orange Park, Florida
Orlando, Florida (2 reports)
Pompano Beach, Florida (2 reports)
Saint Augustine, Florida
Gonzales, Louisiana
Independence, Louisiana
Kenner, Louisiana
Lafayette, Louisiana
New Orleans, Louisiana (2 reports)
Moss Point, Mississippi
Ocean Springs, Mississippi
Clayton, North Carolina
Ellenboro, North Carolina
Kure Beach, North Carolina
Lake Lure, North Carolina
Willard, North Carolina
Brookings, Oregon (2 reports)
Florence, Oregon