Species Orchid, Vanilla Orchid, Commercial Vanilla, Flat Plane Leafed Vanilla
Vanilla planifolia

Family: Orchidaceae (or-kid-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Vanilla (van-IL-a) (Info)
Species: planifolia (plan-ee-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Vanilla duckei
Synonym:Vanilla rubra
Synonym:Vanilla sativa
Synonym:Vanilla sylvestris
Synonym:Vanilla viridiflora

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Full Shade

Chartreuse (Yellow-Green)

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Brea, California

Homestead, Florida

Lecanto, Florida

Marco Island, Florida

Merritt Island, Florida

Miami, Florida (4 reports)

Naples, Florida

Ocala, Florida

Okeechobee, Florida

Pompano Beach, Florida

Sarasota, Florida (2 reports)

Titusville, Florida

Harrison Valley, Pennsylvania

Christiansted, Virgin Islands

On Jun 17, 2015, carliF from Gin Gin
Australia wrote:

I'd just like to ask, if I got a rash from the vanilla plant... what should i use to remedy it? So far my regular anti rash creams etc. aren't working and I'm highly considering Dettol... Advice on this would be great as someone told me to use the extract from the plant to counter act the itching rash and it got worse...HELP!!!

On Nov 19, 2013, Grannos from Naice
Croatia (Zone 7a) wrote:

I bought vanilla cutting and was wondering what is the best way to plant it? For now I placed it on top of the light potting mix and mist it every day. I also made a dome (from transparent plastic bag) that covers the entire container in which cutting is planted. I made it to keep the humidity at high level. Is that good or bad idea? I would really like for it to grow because I paid a lot of money for it so is anyone can give helpful advice (here or PM) I would appreciate it a lot. Thanks!

On Jun 26, 2013, gwenski from Raleigh, NC wrote:

I finally found one of these at Atlantic Avenue (www.atlanticavenuegarden.com) and so far it's doing well. I've only had it for a few weeks, it's in the corner of my sunroom and I mist it every other day and have been keeping it moderately moist. It's grown a little so far and I'm really anxious to see if I can get it bloom!

On Oct 27, 2012, DreamBeans from Ainaloa, HI wrote:

I grow vanilla in the lower puna area of the big island in Hawaii. We currently have one greenhouse and about 30 plants. We plan on creating a business soon. Please check us out on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/dreambeanshi . We are just starting out but we have already harvested and processed a few oz of dry beans, so if you have any questions please ask us on Facebook or via email at dream.bean.hi@gmail.com. Please check us out and give us a like! Thanks!

On Feb 11, 2008, btc129psu from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I purchased a small rooted cutting last summer and have had it down here in Houston ever since. I have it potted in a ceramic orchid pot with terrestrial orchid mix and a fernwood pole. I had to train the first two nodes to root to the fernwood but it has been deftly climbing the pole since.

Although the description says you should keep it damp and never let it dry out I have had good success letting it dry out completely before watering. From mid November through January it was too cold here to keep it outside so I put it in a bright (although it was dark most of the winter) window and barely touched it. I probably only soaked the pot and misted the climbing roots two or three times and it did just fine. The only noticable difference was, not surprisingly, its growth ... read more

On Oct 26, 2007, Just_Grow_It from Manassas, VA wrote:

I grow this indoors under glass. It's a curiosity, but not really suitable for a houseplant. I find mine does best with REALLY high humidity.

On Oct 29, 2006, acfrancis from Trenton, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I brought my potted vanilla orchid with me from florida to the pacific northwest. It has done well for three years now. It is in wood chips, charcoal, etc in a wood planter. Ive set the planter on a platter with stones/water to help with humidity as its very dry here in the summer months and dry the rest of the year due to running the heater. It sits just off the side of my east window. I have never given it enough attention to get it to flower but may not have success anyway due to the dry conditions. It is a beautiful vine, though, w/thick shiny green leaves.

On Jun 9, 2006, Marianne68 from Okeechobee, FL wrote:

I grew my vanilla orchid on the east side inside screened porch. It attached itself to the screen and I took it down when expecting a hurricane. Unfortunatley, it then died.

On Aug 16, 2005, drmanjunath from shimoga
India wrote:

Dr Manjunath dental surgeon by profession,an active
innovative farmer. Ihave been growing vanilla in my
garden since 8 yrs. I have taken support @shade
from arecanut plants. pruning and dry spells are given
during november . pollination done in feb &march.
Harvesting during oct. processing is done by bourbon
method. It is fun &lucarative to grow vailla.

On May 25, 2005, kwelstr from Miami, FL wrote:

Note on pollination of the flower:

The flower opens in the morning and closes in the afternoon, never to reopen. If it is not pollinated, it will shed the next day. The optimum time for pollination is midmorning.

The Vanilla flower is self-fertile, but incapable of self-pollination without the aid of an outside agency to either transfer the pollen from the anther to the stigma or to lift the flap or rostellum, then press the anther against the stigma.

Most of the commercial vanilla crop relies on hand-pollination and it is said that this accounts for half the total labour cost in vanilla production.

Peak flowering is usually late winter or early spring.

On Jan 19, 2005, happymi from Miami, FL wrote:

I planted a small cutting about a year ago. I planted it against an avocado tree that is in my yard and part of my avocado grove. It is mostly in shade but does get some direct sun. I have just noticed what I believe is the beginning of a flower. I am interested in when the bean would appear or will appear. I have a large collection of different orchids and this one really has captured my interest. If anyone can tell me more about the bean I would much appreciate the information. My location in in the South end of Miami Florida. I have not sprayed this orchid too often and it seems to love where it is. I would amagine it is about twenty feet up into the tree. I want to start new plants after this one has had beans.

On Oct 31, 2004, IslandJim from Keizer, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

Mine's growing on a support pillar on my front porch. A year or so ago, the pot it was planted in had to be moved, so we just severed to vine. And, it turns out, the vine doesn't need terrestrial roots. Does fine just clinging to the post. Of interest, the post is painted; many vines will not cling to a painted surface but vanilla does, and through a horrific hurricane season this year as well. It has yet to bloom, however.

On Jun 28, 2004, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

Natural vanilla stracts has been replaced for artificial vanilla flavored substances in the past years, but they can't really be compared (artificial vanilla tastes like plastic and sacarine).

On Jun 28, 2004, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

The only commercial vanilla enterprise in Hawaii is located about 20 miles or so up the road from where I live. Beautiful, plump beans, even when dried.....

The Hawaiian Vanilla Company cultivates, propogates and manufactures all its products from Hawaiian-grown vanilla.

UPDATE-November 1, 2004.
My son planted several vanilla vines at the base of two guava trees, using the trunks of the trees as trellises. As the vines reach a height of about 5-6 ft, he then coaxes them back down so that the vines will reach the bottom again...after the growing end touches ground again, then he will start the growing end back up the tree....thus ensuring that the vines never get too high to pollinate and pick the beans once it blooms. They have not bloomed as yet, bu... read more

On Jun 27, 2004, RxBenson from Pikesville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

In January 2004 I purchased a speciman from the Ford-Edison museum complex in FL, and the culture tag on it said: needs partial sun, moisture (humidity) and is an "understory" plant in its natural habitat. It also 'warned' me that the plant would bloom when "mature," at approx. 40 feet! I was not amused that the three lengths of vine in the pot had been rooted AT BOTH ENDS and inserted into the soil to form inverted loops leaning against a wooden trellis. It is spending the summer outside here in coastal NJ and one of the loops has sent out two healthy new shoots and there are now a few new adventitious roots along all loops. I have several Phall. orchids and intend to duplicate their culture for the Vanilla to see if I get lucky. I'll update as needed.

On Jan 23, 2003, nirmalminoo wrote:

Vanilla is the aroma of the planet. Though the available information and variability is very narrow, there is a lot of mystery waiting to be unravelled in this unique plant.

Vanilla cultivation is profitable because of the high cost of healthy, disease free cuttings, not to speak about the cost of processed beans (fruits), it being the second costliest spice in International market.

Vanilla research is luring, because of the vast areas of work that can be put in to improve and broaden the genetic base of the plant, helping in crop improvement programmes

On Aug 22, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is the plant source for vanilla extract, created by placing the ripe pods in alcohol.

The bean pods produced on this tropical vine are second only to saffron in price per pound. It can be cultivated indoors or in a greenhouse. Under optimal conditions, the plant will produce pods when it reaches approximately 10 feet.

In its native habitat, it can reach upwards of 75 feet.