Cow Pea, Cowpea, Southern Pea
Vigna unguiculata 'Blue Goose'

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Vigna (VIG-nuh) (Info)
Species: unguiculata (un-gwee-kew-LAH-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Blue Goose
Additional cultivar information:(aka Gray Crowder, Grey Crowder)

Vegetables

Columbus, Georgia

Benton, Kentucky

Jonesville, South Carolina

On Sep 25, 2014, GeorgiaGinger from Columbus, GA wrote:

I first heard of Blue Goose crowder peas when we were visiting family in the country in GA, and were allowed to pick in a field of them. They were huge, round crowders with a dark, rich, and nutty taste.
The next year, we ordered seeds, and the plants did well and produced well, but the peas were not large at all, more like black eye size. Will the Blue Goose I order have the large size and same taste?
All the above was many years ago... we have not grown peas until this year, with all our other container plants and vegetables.
Can anyone guess what kind of crowder or field pea was common 50 to 75 years ago in south AL? I still remember eating my granddaddy's peas and tomato sandwiches every night in the summer. They tasted just like peanuts!!! I was too young to k... read more

On Dec 16, 2012, lssfishhunter from Jonesville, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

These peas are a little smaller than other varieties. They produce really well and taste a little stronger than some varieties but I like them.

On Jan 23, 2003, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

An old variety pre-dating 1800.First mentioned in documents from Jamacia.

The information I had on these said vines up to 36",but mine grew over 6 feet and climbed just like a pole bean.I'm not sure what is normal,but prepare for more vines than the 36".

A good cowpea that cooks up with a nutty flavor.It has a dark pot liquor and is quite tasty with ham hock and cornbread.

The Grey Crowder is also known as Blue Goose. This is a very old
variety.They make a brown pot liquor and are a very nutty tasting pea.