PlantFiles: Passion Flower, Trilobed Passionflower, Twelve-Petaled Passionflower, Passion Vine, Passionvine
Passiflora triloba

Family: Passifloraceae (pas-ih-flor-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Passiflora (pass-iff-FLOR-uh) (Info)
Species: triloba (try-LO-buh) (Info)

Rose/Mauve

Thumbnail #3 of Passiflora triloba by abdielg

Thumbnail #4 of Passiflora triloba by abdielg

Thumbnail #5 of Passiflora triloba by abdielg

Positive trollop On Jan 2, 2013, trollop from Los Altos, CA wrote:

I got a passionflower plant at the farmer's market about 2 or 3 years ago. At first it didn't do much. But it's finally seeming pretty happy. As yet we have not fruits.

There are several varieties of this plant. Not all are edible. My friend has a non-edible variety which has taken over the front of his house. It's very pretty though.

Positive papa1 On Dec 31, 2012, papa1 from Dearborn, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

This plant is not supposed to grow in my area (zone 5b) but it did. We purchased a home that had it growing on the south side. There was a string trellis for it to grow on. The plant was coming up from the crack between the driveway and the house, so that the roots were under the driveway. Maybe that protected the plant along with the fact that it was right up against the house wall. It covered the whole side of the house. We were in that house ten years and the vine always came up. One year it somehow found it's way into our family room through a crack in the floor. It must be very hardy! Unfortunately, when we sold the house, the new owners ripped the vine out. It always provided us with many beautiful flowers.

Positive camd On Dec 31, 2012, camd from East Palo Alto, CA wrote:

For years I had a passiflora that I grew from the seed of a fresh fruit here in the SF Bay area. We got two crops a year of wonderful passionfruit. My plant got killed when our house had to be fumigated for termites.

Recently I rooted cuttings taken from the plantings at a local shopping center. Looking forward to fruit.

I have not had a problem with invasiveness, maybe because we picked the fruit.

Negative dddiana On Dec 31, 2012, dddiana from Loyola Beach, Baffin Bay, Tx, TX (Zone 10b) wrote:

Passion Flower has a beautiful flower and is a host and food source for monarch butterfly (which at times makes the plant look very ragged). But if you are thinking about planting it, be warned it throws seeds everywhere and it is an aggressive grower and climber that will quickly cover a large tree and your shrubs. A neighbor planted it along his fence a couple of years ago. I loved the flowers (and still do) but now there are plants growing all over my yard. I am constantly having to pull the thick vines off of my shrubs, out of my potted plants and beds, and out of the trees. I do not have a lot of time to spend in the garden; unfortunately the little bit of time I do have is wasted pulling up all of these unwanted plants - but if I do not, the next thing I know the vine has covered and killed a shrub or tree.

Neutral zemerson On Jan 3, 2006, zemerson from Calvert County, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

Passiflora triloba is unique within the genus passiflora for having six petals and six sepals, giving it the appearance of having twelve petals. Unlike the usual five sepaled, five petaled flowers of the passiflora genus.

Encino, California