PlantFiles: Friendship Plant, Panamiga
Pilea involucrata 'Moon Valley'

Family: Urticaceae
Genus: Pilea (py-LEE-uh) (Info)
Species: involucrata (in-vol-yoo-KRAY-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Moon Valley

Synonym:Pilea mollis

Groundcovers

Variegated
Burgundy
Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

4.6 to 5.0 (highly acidic)
5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

By growin

By kniphofia
Thumbnail #6 of Pilea involucrata by kniphofia

By NatureWalker
Thumbnail #7 of Pilea involucrata by NatureWalker

Positive WildBittersweet On Feb 27, 2012, WildBittersweet from Lesslie, SC wrote:

A small fragile-looking plant of Moon Valley was given to me a month ago. I set it in a spot to get a bit of sun (in the house) to give it a boost and it soon had more brown spots. It is now near a window out of the sun and has filled out where I had taken off the bad leaves and looks like it has always been healthy. It gets water frequently and only from the bottom.

Positive Peanut169_98 On Nov 13, 2010, Peanut169_98 from Craigsville, WV wrote:

My experience with this plant is that, being an indoor plant, it needed a lot more sun than we first believed. I bought the plant at Walmart and it had 3 plants in the pot. I had to repot it and got rid of 2 of the mostly dead ones and the 3rd one I kept. Now, after about 6 months in my kitchen window that has mostly sun all day, it is thriving. One thing I did that might sound odd. And this is where I'll need some advice. We had an avocado seed and decided to put it in with the moon valley, as the houseplant grew on one side of the pot and we had plenty of room for another plant in there, at least for the winter months. We didn't expect the avocado to grow, but to provide extra nutrients for the house plant. However, about a week ago, the avocado started growing. My moonvalley now has several blooms on it, and the avocado plant is shooting up rapidly. I know I have to separate them soon, but I don't want to damage either plant. At what point should I replant the avocado, and should I get new soil for the moon valley as well? I'm not familiar with growing avocadoes so I dont' really know how big of a pot I need to put it in. The two plants seem to be feeding each other, for sure, so should I transplant them into a bigger pot together? Please help. I don't have a great ability to keep plants alive...I have 3 houseplants, and the moon valley is the only one doing really well....I don't want to kill the moon valley or the avocado in the repotting process.

Thanks

Positive gnash On Jul 30, 2010, gnash from Asheville, NC wrote:

Love Dave's Garden.
Took a long while to identify this plant. I've had one for at least a year but thought it was a coleus until it flowered. And today after repotting it, I saw a strange thing. The flowers seemed to give off tiny puffs of ? almost like a puffball mushroom does. Has anyone else noticed this? Very odd for it to bloom so often and the blooms to be under the leaves. Odd plant all round.

Positive cruz4him On Apr 7, 2010, cruz4him from Toronto, ON (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have two of these, one at home and the other at the office. I absolutely love them, they are so easy to care for and the foliage is so unusual! My husband hates them though, they give him the creeps LOL! That in itself is pretty strange because I'm the one with the reptilian aversion and the leaves do kind of resemble some kind of reptile skin.

Positive elmoda2nd On Sep 4, 2007, elmoda2nd from Pittsburgh, PA wrote:

I have three moon valley pilea planted around my dracaena (fragratissima/massengeana), along with some coleus. The leaves of the pilea become stiff when not misted often enough. The plant flowers every 2-3 weeks depending on frequency of watering (so I assume). The pilea crawls along the soil, none of the nodes have secured roots into the soil (yet?). Overall, it's an interesting plant to show off due to it's somewhat fuzzy texture and interesting bumpy hills.

Wilmer, Alabama