Friendship Plant, Panamiga
Pilea involucrata 'Moon Valley'

Family: Urticaceae
Genus: Pilea (py-LEE-uh) (Info)
Species: involucrata (in-vol-yoo-KRAY-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Moon Valley
Synonym:Pilea mollis

Groundcovers

Variegated

Burgundy

Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

4.6 to 5.0 (highly acidic)

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

Wilmer, Alabama

Big Pine Key, Florida

West Palm Beach, Florida

Craigsville, West Virginia

On Feb 27, 2012, WildBittersweet from Lesslie, SC wrote:

A small fragile-looking plant of Moon Valley was given to me a month ago. I set it in a spot to get a bit of sun (in the house) to give it a boost and it soon had more brown spots. It is now near a window out of the sun and has filled out where I had taken off the bad leaves and looks like it has always been healthy. It gets water frequently and only from the bottom.

On Nov 13, 2010, Peanut169_98 from Craigsville, WV wrote:

My experience with this plant is that, being an indoor plant, it needed a lot more sun than we first believed. I bought the plant at Walmart and it had 3 plants in the pot. I had to repot it and got rid of 2 of the mostly dead ones and the 3rd one I kept. Now, after about 6 months in my kitchen window that has mostly sun all day, it is thriving. One thing I did that might sound odd. And this is where I'll need some advice. We had an avocado seed and decided to put it in with the moon valley, as the houseplant grew on one side of the pot and we had plenty of room for another plant in there, at least for the winter months. We didn't expect the avocado to grow, but to provide extra nutrients for the house plant. However, about a week ago, the avocado started growing. My moonvalley now has sev... read more

On Jul 30, 2010, gnash from Asheville, NC wrote:

Love Dave's Garden.
Took a long while to identify this plant. I've had one for at least a year but thought it was a coleus until it flowered. And today after repotting it, I saw a strange thing. The flowers seemed to give off tiny puffs of ? almost like a puffball mushroom does. Has anyone else noticed this? Very odd for it to bloom so often and the blooms to be under the leaves. Odd plant all round.

On Apr 7, 2010, cruz4him from Toronto, ON (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have two of these, one at home and the other at the office. I absolutely love them, they are so easy to care for and the foliage is so unusual! My husband hates them though, they give him the creeps LOL! That in itself is pretty strange because I'm the one with the reptilian aversion and the leaves do kind of resemble some kind of reptile skin.

On Sep 4, 2007, elmoda2nd from Pittsburgh, PA wrote:

I have three moon valley pilea planted around my dracaena (fragratissima/massengeana), along with some coleus. The leaves of the pilea become stiff when not misted often enough. The plant flowers every 2-3 weeks depending on frequency of watering (so I assume). The pilea crawls along the soil, none of the nodes have secured roots into the soil (yet?). Overall, it's an interesting plant to show off due to it's somewhat fuzzy texture and interesting bumpy hills.