Chinese Flowering Chestnut, Shiny Leaf Yellowhorn

Xanthoceras sorbifolium

Family: Sapindaceae (sap-in-DAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Xanthoceras (zan-tho-KER-as) (Info)
Species: sorbifolium (sor-bee-FOH-lee-um) (Info)

Chartreuse (Yellow-Green)

4.5 or below (very acidic)

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Benton City, Washington

Kennewick, Washington

Richland, Washington

On Nov 16, 2015, janelp_lee from Toronto, ON (Zone 6a) wrote:

So far, seeds are easy and fast to germinate. I hope the growth will be fast enough and cold hardy!

On Jun 30, 2014, dcsschmidt from Benton City, WA wrote:

When the seed pods have fallen off the tree and the seeds inside the pod are black you can harvest them. We grind them for our chickens but our neighbor roasts and eats them. I do need to know if the leaves are OK around horses though! BTW the Chinese use the pods for fodder for their cattle.

On Mar 7, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Rhymes with "rhinoceros".... or near enough...

In May it covers itself in showy white flowers whose centers change color from yellow through orange to red as they age. The display rivals that of any flowering tree. The healthy trees in the Arnold Arboretum put on a great show.

I suspect it's the pronunciation of the name that's preventing this wonderful tree/shrub from becoming better known.

Slow growing, upright, blooming when young, reaching 18-24' at maturity. Stiffly and sparingly branched, often multitrunked. Foliage is handsome and glossy, holds late in the fall but does not color up. The seeds are said to be tasty when roasted.

Adaptable, tolerating high pH soils, performing best in full sun. It's said to be hard to transpl... read more

On Apr 26, 2011, vmokkamom from Kennewick, WA wrote:

Love the Yellowhorn trees! We received a round pod with seeds in it about 10 years ago from my sister-in-law. I thought their bush was so beautiful. She was not sure what it was named or if the "round Thing" was a seed or fruit or nut or had seeds in it. My husband put it away in our extra fridge and opened and planted some of the seeds in small potsThe following spring. I think we had approx. 7 come up. We had just about given up on them. We have 3 all 12+ feet tall. One is from the 1st planting and 2 others are second plantings from the same group of seeds. We also gave a bunch to family and friends. We also have 2 small ones that will probably be bushes versis the other 3 are groomed as nice trees. The first planting all were called the "Todd Trees" after my nephew who went through a t... read more

On Jul 14, 2010, jessfreya from worksop Nottinghamshire
United Kingdom wrote:

Bought this as a 2 year old ( 2ft ) dry root plant grown from seed by the nursery. I have had it about 5 years and its now 12ft tall and still going. Looks lovely when in full flower the white flowers fading through to a carmine red before they drop, and people who see it in flower come knocking. We live on a clay based soil and it seems to thrive, occasionally having a bit of die back( dont know why) the garden temp got down to -10 this winter but it came back as good as ever. Flowers seem to last for about a month to 6 weeks on average. Been totally hardy up to now. Grown a new plant from seed ( self set ) for a neighbour this year, seems to have a few suckers, so will try to get them going as well at the end of the year. This year it has suprised me with a large nut case similar ... read more

On Jul 29, 2009, grik from Saint Paul, MN wrote:

I grew this small tree from seed. The seeds sprout easily and the trees flower while it still quite small. My trees are about 6 feet tall and 5 years old. The flower profusely in the early spring.

The flowers remind me of catalpa flowers. I have never noticed any fragrance to them. After the flowers fade the tree has nice glossy green compound foliage that looks good all season. The fruits are small round nut like things. Mine are growing in partial shade on a very dry slope and seem to sucker a bit. The tree is totally hardy in St. Paul, MN - never any die back.

I belive that the squirrels are taking the fruit - a round capsule with large seeds. I wonder if they eat it? If I will start to find new plants about like I do with black walnuts?

On Jun 19, 2006, Artdeco from Palatine, IL wrote:

In part-shade (Zone 5) it's very slow-growing, maybe 3' high in 5 years. But started blooming when small - not much flowers, just enough to remind me why I planted it. The flowers are beautiful & dainty.