Late, Small-flowered Clematis
Clematis 'Avant-Garde'

Family: Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Clematis (KLEM-uh-tiss) (Info)
Cultivar: Avant-Garde
Additional cultivar information:(Festoon Collection; aka Evipo033, Avante-Garde)
Hybridized by Evison-Poulsen

No fragrance

Bloom Shape:

Double

Bloom Diameter:

Medium - 2 to 5 inches (5 to 12 cm)

Pruning Groups:

Agar, South Dakota

Hereford, Texas

South Burlington, Vermont

On Jun 30, 2011, Myokyo from Montreal

This is my second year with this clematis, which I, in fact, moved from a less sunny spot to a sunny spot early this spring. It is now the end of June (after a relatively cool and rainy few months in Montreal, QC) and no sign of flowers although plenty of growth. In my internet research, I read that this clematis is a Group 3 clematis (this from a breeder) whereas this site and all others name it as a Group 2 i.e. cut back in the spring.

Anyone experience with two blooming times in the season, first on old growth, cut back and then on new growth?

Thank you. Do look forward to seeing my first flower, whenever it comes...

On Apr 4, 2008, Pruning_Queen from Bay Village, OH wrote:

I got this plant for free - it was in the "free to a good home" bin at my local nursery at the end of the season. Sad thing - brown and only a couple of sad little leaves. But I'm a sucker for a plant that needs love (must be the Charlie Brown in me) so I took it home and planted it. It is fantastic, as you can see by the photo I took.

Mine is much more purple than red, with a lavender center. The flowers are not large - about 2 inches from tip of petal to tip of petal. Once it starts blooming in June, it is a prolific bloomer! Needs very little care, just the occasional pruning. Mine is in a full-sun spot on the corner of my house, used to disquise a down-spout, so when it rains it gets quite wet. But it is happy. It is also a little star in my garden - I get lo... read more

On Jun 30, 2007, DrDoolotz from Oxford, NS (Zone 5b) wrote:

This clematis is growing very well for me here in zone 5a. In its 2nd year, it is more robust than any other 2nd year clematis I have had. It also has far more flowers than I would have expected. I am surprised to see it listed as "late flowering" because it's flowering here at the end of June, so I would have not called that late. I also would not call it large flowering. It is the smallest flower of any of my clematis except my paniculata.

On Jan 13, 2007, ineedacupoftea from Denver, CO wrote: