PlantFiles: Large Flowered Climbing Rose
Rosa 'Scent From Above'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Scent From Above
Additional cultivar information: (aka CHEWgoldtop)
Hybridized by Warner; Year of Registration or Introduction: 2005

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Class:

From hardwood heel cuttings
By grafting
By budding

Negative sgkent On Apr 28, 2013, sgkent from Citrus Heights, CA wrote:

states repeat bloomer. We have one that gets the minimum 4-6 hours of sun a day. In the edge of a garden. Blooms lightly for about two - three weeks in spring then again in fall before it goes dormant. Shows some black spot which is unusual because we have dry summers and the irrigation on it is drip other then to wash it off once in awhile. We are getting ready to rip it out because after 5 years it has never gotten over 6' tall and is just a bush most of the year. I don't recommend it although the yellow blooms are beautiful during the week or two it blooms in late March early April.

Negative IrisZ7 On May 30, 2012, IrisZ7 from Ellicott City, MD wrote:

I planted two of these potted roses in my garden in zone 7A about two years ago. Both last year and so far this year they have been prone to disease. The leaves get fungus (not sure if BS or mildew) and yellow. These roses have that beat up look from the struggle to survive. I am constantly cleaning up diseased leaves, spraying and feeding/medicating.

On the positive side, this Spring, it grew nicely full and was loaded with large pretty yellow roses which I was able to cut for bouquets. Shortly thereafter, it became quite diseased, leaves turned yellow and dropped everywhere so now the bush looks very scrawny and leggy. The bushes are on the recovery track now. Since my property is located on a pond, I try to spray only when needed, but these need weekly spraying.

Of the 50+ roses I have, these are probably my most disease prone and are what I consider "High Maintenance".

Negative zaheer On Sep 29, 2008, zaheer from Bartlett, IL wrote:

I did not have much luck with this bareroot rose in Bartlett,IL (zone 5a).
It never came out of dormancy. Of the 20 or so different varieties of roses shipped by J&P, only Scent From Above (Climber) and Golden Celebration (English Rose) never came out of dormancy. Could be just my luck !!!
Replaced both with Red Double Knockouts which are doing splendid so far.

Positive plntsrok On Jun 22, 2007, plntsrok from Detroit, MI (Zone 6b) wrote:

We planted a bare-root plant, received through the mail, last July. We gave it no winter protection and it is now about 30" tall and has one beautiful yellow flower at the top. (We had a rather severe cold snap in April after some 70 degree days and we thought it wasn't going to make it, so it may be "behind" schedule.)

Pinellas Park, Florida