PlantFiles: Climbing Rose
Rosa 'Social Climber'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Social Climber
Additional cultivar information: (aka JACweave)
Hybridized by Jackson & Perkins; Year of Registration or Introduction: 2004

Class:
Cluster-flowered (incl. Floribunda & Grandiflora)
Modern Climber

Thumbnail #4 of Rosa  by patricia4

By crisymei
Thumbnail #5 of Rosa  by crisymei

Positive sshort On Mar 13, 2012, sshort from Kansas City, MO wrote:

My Social Climber, which I bought from Jackson and Perkins, is my pride and joy and brings loads of compliments when she is covered in blooms in May. There are flushes of bloom during the summer, not like the spring but very consistent. She is 7 years old and just keeps performing. I live in a micro climate, zone 6a and have trained her in a fan shape on a chain link fence. I treat her exactly the same as my other roses, pruning, fertilizing, mulching, spraying. She is also very disease resistant and does not really need spray for black spot but I do it anyway when I am spraying my other roses. I'm very sorry to hear others do not have the success with her that I do.

Negative monniemon On Mar 7, 2011, monniemon from Lansdale, PA wrote:

Social climber is in her 3rd season, she had taken our zone 6 winters well. This rose is a very fast grower, gives beautiful blooms but did not rebloom for me at all last year. So i have decided to shovel her and to put Aloha Climber in her place. Jackson & Perkins has Social Climber listed as a repeat bloomer, they really need to change that to (occasional/once blooming)!. Iam sure that others purchased this rose and wasted 3 seasons on it to see it grow and then was very disappointed that it has no reblooming cycle.

Neutral CREWSWHICKER On Feb 27, 2011, CREWSWHICKER from Winston Salem, NC wrote:

I'd say positive, but she was just too new last year to say that :)

From others' comments, I'm wondering if this is a rose that really needs to be fanned strongly. If a rose blooms less as it gets older, but still very young, maybe it's growing too upright? I'm going to go on and put mine where she can be trained more horizontally than I'd planned.

It could possibly be that she's a heavy feeder? Maybe she blooms less later because she needs a bunch of goodies each year.

Just a couple of ideas.

I'll let y'all know way later this year if I learn anything more about her.

If folks can tell me if she grows taller than 6-8 ft, please do! That just seems so short for a climber in my climate, but it's not unheard of :)

Neutral LauraSteele On Nov 12, 2010, LauraSteele from Fort Wayne, IN wrote:

I purchased this rose in June of 2010 in the nice, big Jackson and Perkins container from a seasonal nursery here in Fort Wayne. There were no tags or info of any kind on this rose container. I should have known better. I ALWAYS research plants here on Dave's Garden before making a purchase but my daughter liked the rose so I bought it. I ripped out that stupid 'New Dawn' climber and put 'Social Climber' in it's place on the trellis. It sent out new growth and several nice blooms but just looked spindly and sparse. I checked Dave's Garden (something I should have done in the first place). Zone 7. Go figure. I'll wrap it up for our Zone 5 winter (something I don't usually do), pray it makes it through the cold, dig it out in the Spring and pass it on to a friend who believes in fussing with roses. The really stupid thing is, I think I made the same mistake this year with 'Cinco de Mayo' and 'Blue Girl'...At least I'm consistant.

Neutral levon1972 On Jul 8, 2010, levon1972 from Rio Rancho, NM wrote:

Initially, was very happy with this rosa social climber "Jacweave". Planted on two trellises, each plant produced small, lovely, pink roses in its 1st season, then in 2nd season did the same but must say blooms did not last long from April. Now in our 3rd season we had in April a mass of new buds everywhere at first, but we pruned them after blooming and then"" Nada,Zip, Nothing" since then.

HELP! Am heartbroken. Read others comments and fact sheet. Fact Sheet states to avoid pruning, WOW, Comments posted by members showed pruning with good results and similiar comments to mine. Anybody know for sure? I will write J&Perkins as well. Also, if you prune, is it down to a 3rd or 5th spray?

I'm new can you tell?
Levon 1972

Positive patricia4 On May 3, 2009, patricia4 from Beaumont, CA wrote:

Absolutely love this rose! I have two climbing on the block wall fence here in Beaumont, CA where temperatures reach over a 100 degrees every summer and it sometimes snows in March. Plus we get a great deal of wind. In April and May the roses put on a magnificient show. The flowers seem to glow in the sun. Even though the repeat bloom is not as showy as in April, the roses still put on a fine show. Social Climber has been trouble free. My husband and I love to sit out in our yard and look at these beautiful roses. I am moving to Tennessee and hope to be able to grow them there.

Negative Kell On Nov 12, 2007, Kell from Northern California, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I am not too happy with this climber. I have 2 of them. The one in the front yard I grow as a fountain rose, pruning it every winter to a few feet. It has many canes now and puts on a grand spring show. The blooms are long lasting and it takes a long time for all the roses in the cluster opens. However the repeat bloom is poor.

In the back yard, I have this growing on an arbor but not for much longer. Again the blooms are sparse but here even in the spring. The plant has had powdery mildew and just looks unhappy.

Positive shellabella On Jul 12, 2006, shellabella from West Central, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

The blooms are a very pretty pink and are very fragrant. This one has gotten a little black spot from time to time, but not bad though. It is young and has not gotten it's height yet.
Being in FL I do look for Roses on Fortuniana root stock. I wrote J&P and they directed me to a website that sells their Roses that are grafted onto that root stock and it was listed there . When this one reaches it's mature height it will be quite a beauty.

Beaumont, California