PlantFiles: Blanket Flower, Indian Blanket, Gaillardia
Gaillardia x grandiflora 'Oranges & Lemons'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Gaillardia (gay-LAR-dee-uh) (Info)
Species: x grandiflora (gran-dih-FLOR-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Oranges & Lemons
Additional cultivar information: (PP17092, aka Saint Clements, St. Clements)
Hybridized by Hardy; Year of Registration or Introduction: 2004

Orange
Gold (Yellow-Orange)

This plant is resistant to deer

Patented

Thumbnail #6 of Gaillardia x grandiflora by flowerfrenzy

By laurawege
Thumbnail #7 of Gaillardia x grandiflora by laurawege

Neutral yoestoyaqui On Jun 1, 2013, yoestoyaqui from Mansfield, OH wrote:

I grew gaillardia grandiflora in Southern Maine for years. It was very reliable, reseeds some, but not weedy. It was very hardy, lived through the Maine winters and I used it as a cut flower My soil was very sandy as I lived across the road from a Lake. Maine Zone 5a
In Ohio now, I would say I am Zone 5b. The weather has more extremes than in Maine, but I can not grow that gaillardia. None of them come back in my Ohio gardens. They are not hardy at all here. I am thinking from reading all the comments that it is really fussy about soil. Sandy well drained soil in Maine, Clay soil in Ohio. In the area where I planted the orange & lemons variety, i had good drainage, but the soid was rich, I am going to try a better draining soil and find some poor soil.

Neutral sonya5 On Mar 15, 2013, sonya5 from Gardnerville Ranchos, NV wrote:

As much as I love the look of this plant, where I live it becomes a weed with a very deep root system and is extremely hard to get rid of any suggestions?

Neutral TiaLee1 On May 16, 2012, TiaLee1 from Rathdrum, ID (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have been gardening for forty years and was always told that gaillardia was a "foolproof" perennial. Yet, I have never been able to get it to winter over. Perhaps the winters here (zone 6-north Idaho) are too wet for it, I don't know. I still buy a few each spring, but I don't expect them to be perennial.

I wish I knew what I was doing wrong, since it is a spectacular plant, but I don't buy many annuals.

Positive TexasGarden18 On May 1, 2012, TexasGarden18 from The Colony, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This hardy gaillardia has bloomed in amended clay soil from when it was planted in mid-July of last year, through a mild Dallas winter, and into spring! These gorgeous heavy-bloomers play nicely with Henry Duelberg sage and hot pink Samba portulaca.

Neutral tacomagardener On Apr 25, 2012, tacomagardener from Tacoma, WA wrote:

I am beginning to wonder if mine will return after reading so many people saying that theirs did not winter over. I am in zone 8b, and I don't see any sign of it returning yet. It's suppose to be Zone 4 hardy..so what's going on?..I did love it though. Kept blooming as I deadheaded.

Positive Zuluqueen504 On Apr 6, 2012, Zuluqueen504 from Monroe, LA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I bought this plant last summer and it bloomed until late December. It started blooming again this February. It blooms profusely and I get tons of compliments on it. I have it in a mixed front bed with purple veronica, blue salvia, and white petunias. It's a great look. The orange really pops!

Neutral Bazuhi On Jun 9, 2011, Bazuhi from Downers Grove, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

Planted this back in 2009 after I saw it at the local Home Depot... It bloomed spasely it's first year and I was also deadheading to get more blooms.. In 2010 the plant seemed weak and without as many blooms as it had in 2009.
2011 the plant did not come back..

Negative Massgirl On May 5, 2011, Massgirl from Franklin, MA wrote:

As others have stated, I am in zone 6, and all three plants I bought did not overwinter. Really stinks because the mail-order company I bought them from lists them as a zone 3-10!!
My Tokajers are all coming in nicely though. Oh well. I'll try something else instead.

Negative DaylilySLP On Jan 30, 2011, DaylilySLP from Dearborn Heights, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

Love it, but I have bought one every year since 2006, and it never has made it back in the spring.
In 6a and mulched.

Negative John_in_Garland On Jun 9, 2010, John_in_Garland from Garland, TX wrote:

Planted 5 in spring '09. Not vigorous, but quite attractive. Only one overwintered in my N. Texas zone 8b. While I love the flower, negative because of the poor winter survival.

Positive mslehv On Nov 2, 2009, mslehv from Columbus, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I'm amazed that two of these plants purchased on sale in October are still blooming on the first of November in frostless (as yet) 5b Columbus. We don't have much sun even when it's clear.

Positive shelbsyd On Oct 12, 2009, shelbsyd from Oakley, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is one of the only plants that I have that my dog did not destroy, when she trampled on it, it came back. It is very drought tolarant,I live in zone 9. It blooms constantly and the more you cut the flowers, the more it blooms. I planted mine in the spring and it has been blooming constantly since about May. I love this plant so much I plan on buying several this spring! I even bought another Blanket flower that blooms red and yellows. I just love, love, love this plant!! Great for desert conditions!

Positive cmsjjdr On Jun 7, 2009, cmsjjdr from Panama City, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I love this plant. I bought a small plant last fall and it grew all winter. I covered it when we had the few freezing nights and it did not seem at all fazed by the cold weather. By spring I had a plant about 3 times the size as the one I bought and it started blooming in February. The warmer the weather got the more it has bloomed. I pick 5 to 10 flowers per day. I have also been able to root some pieces and they are now blooming in an area I hope they will spread. I am letting those make seeds.

Neutral gardadore On May 27, 2009, gardadore from Saylorsburg, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I love this plant as it blooms so well all summer and is really showy. The problem is that it does not come back well. I am a Zone 6a. One of two came back last year and I replaced the dead one. This year only one seems to be trying to come back but is VERY weak so I don't think it will amount to much. I am still willing to buy new ones, but only on sale, and treat them as annuals because they are so magnificent!

Positive Jon0523 On Dec 28, 2008, Jon0523 from Green Valley, AZ wrote:

Excellent. Zone 9a Steady blooming (even in the scorching summer )from late March until late December '08 when the first frost occured. Began to bloom again by early Feb. '09. Planted in heavy clay soil with drip irrigation as indicated by the season. This is a tireless heavy blooming addition to an Arizona garden.

Neutral Joan On Jul 25, 2008, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

According to the information in the Plant Patent, this cultivar is sterile and does not produce viable seeds.

Neutral onewish1 On Jun 23, 2008, onewish1 from Denville, NJ (Zone 6b) wrote:

I planted two of them.. only one returned... but I am buying a new one and going to give it another try

Neutral BlueMaypop On Jun 21, 2008, BlueMaypop from Laytonsville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

Great long-bloomer in the hot summer. But, as many others here have said, it didn't come back and we had a mild winter in zone 7.

Neutral GrassLovers On Jun 3, 2008, GrassLovers from Saint Charles, IL wrote:

Well, I planted this last year around May (Chicago Suburbs) and it bloomed wonderfully for the first few months. In late August I was doing some maintenance and discovered this Gaillardia's root system had completely died. It pulled right out of the ground with out effort. I don't know if the soil was too dry but I have catmint and Joe Pye Weed near it an they are both thriving in the same type of soil. Its worth trying (maybe start with one) because the bloom is awesome and there are few plants that will give you the same color.

Neutral Gabrielle On Sep 7, 2007, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is a patented plant.

Positive dryad58 On Jul 10, 2007, dryad58 from Cheyenne, WY wrote:

Awesome. First year, so can't speak to return, but it's been 100 degrees with not a cloud in the sky for about 3 weeks now and it looks better than ever! I am very impressed.

Negative cforsett On May 29, 2007, cforsett from Manitou Springs, CO wrote:

This plant did not come back, and two other people have told me theirs did not survive either (in Colorado and Illinois--, Zone 5). Don't know if I will try again or not.

Heard must be grown in sandy non fertile soil or rock gardens- dont know if that is true or not.

Positive laurawege On Sep 5, 2006, laurawege from Wayland, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

great plant, I love the softness of the colors , very hard working

Neutral DreamOfSpring On May 24, 2006, DreamOfSpring from Charleston, SC (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is one hard working plant!

In Oct 05, I moved mine from a 3" pot to the garden. Apr 3, 06 the 1st bloom opened. It has been blooming non-stop for 2 months now and hasn't missed a beat. It is now covered with dozens and dozens of blooms in myriad, brilliant shades of yellow and orange. I'd like to dead head it but it just won't stop producing those gorgeous blooms long enough, and I just can't cut them off. In my garden, many flowers have come and gone this spring. This plant has been the one constant, always loaded with fresh blooms, never looking dull or worn or tired.

This is a winner!
------
Above are my initial remarks entered near the end of the growing season and unedited (except to fix a typo, oops). I am, however, changing my rating from Positive to Neutral because, much to my chagrin, this plant did not appear to come back the following year. I'm a bit surprised, especially considering the huge number of seeds heads the plant brandished. To be honest, I did a poor job of weeding and caring for the plants in that area, so the failure may have been mine.

El Mirage, Arizona