PlantFiles: Catmint
Nepeta nervosa 'Blue Carpet'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Nepeta (NEP-eh-tuh) (Info)
Species: nervosa (ner-VO-suh) (Info)
Cultivar: Blue Carpet

Herbs

Blue-Violet

Aromatic

Flowers are good for cutting

By Gabrielle
Thumbnail #1 of Nepeta nervosa by Gabrielle

By echoes
Thumbnail #2 of Nepeta nervosa by echoes

Neutral REBLOOMER On Feb 21, 2011, REBLOOMER from Cary, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Actually, to me, Gabrielle's plant looks more like Catnip. I don't believe it's the same as Catmint. I have inherited the Catnip plant at my home I bought 5-years ago and can never seem to get rid of it. I will be growing Blue Carpet Catmint and Golden Jubilee Agastache this year and will be able to see the leaves on this to compare.

Positive treetop518 On Jul 6, 2010, treetop518 from Schenectady, NY (Zone 5a) wrote:

I agree with Phloid, the photo Gabriel posted is most likely agastache, I also believe the second photo was incorrectly identified. Nepeta nervosa has severely 'crinkled' darkish, green-grey leaves which are 3-4 inches in length, upper leaves are sessile while the lower leaves have short petioles. (I believe the Latin name translates to nerves, which is a description of the extremely veined leave structure). An easy way to identify this plant is by crushing a leave, which gives off a distinct smell of cat-urine. Plants grow very well in the NE region and have a long bloom period which can be extended by cutting back spent flower stalks. An excellent border plant and seems to grow well in a variety of soil conditions.

Neutral Phloid On May 28, 2010, Phloid from Candler, NC (Zone 6b) wrote:

Gabrielle's photo looks like Agastache foeniculum 'Golden Jubilee' to me, not Nepeta nervosa.

Anchorage, Alaska