Peach 'Red Baron'

Prunus persica

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Prunus (PROO-nus) (Info)
Species: persica (PER-see-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Red Baron

Cibolo, Texas

Clarksville, Texas

Raphine, Virginia

On Mar 13, 2014, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This tree grows very well and w/ little problems in my zone 9a garden. Not sure if my area meets the chill hr requirements for fruit production, but I planted it for its ornamental value. Flowers are beautiful and very showy.

On Sep 10, 2012, dwhenry from Encinitas, CA wrote:

Our Red Baron has been an outstanding performer here in Encinitas, CA, about two miles from the coast. Our single tree has heavy crops of big, very sweet fruit. It has needed only the universal peach requirements of winter pruning, dormant spray and annual fertilizing. Ripening peaks fairly abruptly about the 2nd week of July; we usually freeze quite a bit, despite gorging on and sharing the fresh fruit. Finding this particular variety was pure luck. When I started planting our fruit tree garden 15 years ago, I really didn't know what to look for, and this tree came from Home Depot on a "That looks OK, I guess." basis. Since then, a variety of other peaches and nectarines (hopefully chosen more rationally) have done well also.

On Jan 14, 2006, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Flowering/fruiting. Large, juicy, firm, richly flavored yellow freestone fruit. Showy double red blossoms. Mid-July. Long-time favorite in Southern California. Low chilling requirement, 250-300 hours. Self-fruitful.