PlantFiles: Begonia
Begonia 'Paul Hernandez'

Family: Begoniaceae (be-gon-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Begonia (be-GON-yuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Paul Hernandez

Thumbnail #6 of Begonia  by begoniacrazii

By giancarlo
Thumbnail #7 of Begonia  by giancarlo

Neutral KungFuGardener On Jun 23, 2012, KungFuGardener from Spring, TX wrote:

I live in the southern Texas area so maybe that's why mine keeps dying on me, I wonder if they can be grown indoors under fluorescent lights? If my new one that I just got flourishes I'll make a positive comment about it because I do like the plant a lot, I guess the plant just doesn't like the heat.

Neutral BayAreaTropics On May 29, 2011, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

I'm giving it my second go with this huge Begonia...my first wasn't a very healthy plant- a barely rooted cutting that wobbled when planted and eventually was knocked over by cats. With few roots,it expired.
My second plant is much more robust,and I plan on using a good stake to secure it. Great look plants.
EDIT: Well,I killed the second try fast!..put it in bad potting soils that held too much water..it got root rot. BUT, by luck,when putting it in that pot I broke a small piece. Wouldn't you know it?..3 years later its a good sized plant,in ground. Much water,fertilizer gets you good results.

Positive begoniacrazii On Jul 23, 2008, begoniacrazii from Northern California, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Hardy in zone 9b. B. 'Paul Hernandez' takes the bests of both it's parents, the palmate leaf shape from seed parent B. luxurians and unusual bumpy leaf surface from pollen parent B. gehrtii. Grows large and occasionally falls over to root and grow along the ground.

Neutral MotherNature4 On Jan 15, 2006, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

A shrubby hybrid, this begonia roots easily from stem cuttings, but does not produce seeds. The beautiful pustulated (bumpy) leaf surface is shiny olive green.

Hayward, California