PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Neves Azorean Red'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Neves Azorean Red

Thumbnail #4 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by Suze_

By aries44
Thumbnail #5 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by aries44

Neutral CaliforniaGuy On Jul 15, 2014, CaliforniaGuy from Lakewood, CA wrote:

This was one of the healthier plants I grew this year. The tomatoes are large, attractive, and decently productive. It doesn't seem to be fazed by high heat. However: for me, the tomatoes are o.k. tasting but not mind blowing or anything, but I generally prefer pink tomatoes over red, so do not let that put you off of trying this variety if you read this. Lots of people really like it. Due to its popularity, I will give it another chance from another seed source and see if I get different results.

Neutral Grow_Pittsburgh On Jul 15, 2010, Grow_Pittsburgh from Pittsburgh, PA wrote:

No luck this year on this one all 6 transplants died a week to two weeks after transplant. I think the seedlings need a little extra hardening off time. I'm not giving up on it I will definitely try this one again next year because I had 100% germination. The seedlings where very strong looking with one of the thickest stalks out of all my tomato seedlings. No signs of diseases the leaves where very healthy even after death they had a very nice green to them.

Positive b54red On Jun 18, 2010, b54red from Dothan, AL wrote:

This is now one of my new favorites. May be the perfect beefsteak. Large, beautiful red fruits with a terrific taste and when cut it makes the most beautiful slices. The taste is wonderful with a terrific balance of flavors. Seems to do a fair job in resisting splitting even after a heavy rain. It has good production and is also setting fruit in heat near 100.

Positive SLO_Garden On Aug 11, 2009, SLO_Garden from San Luis Obispo, CA wrote:

This was my first year growing NAR and all I can say it "Wow!" It definitely lives up to the hype. The flavor is amazingly complex, well balanced, and bold. The plant had some problems with blight early on but recovered and is producing a decent crop. NAR is now one of my favorite tomatoes.

Positive kygreg2000 On Nov 3, 2007, kygreg2000 from Hopkinsville, KY wrote:

2007 was the first year to grow; great flavor; produced 20-25 fruits in the l lb range in a very hot and dry season; definite regrow;

Positive MichaelBates On Feb 5, 2006, MichaelBates from Lawrence, KS (Zone 6a) wrote:

Excellent flavor with a beautiful deep red colour. High yeilds of 1-2 lb fruits were a favorite of our market customers, we're doubling our production this year to keep up with demand.

Positive Suze_ On Jan 17, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Large, deep red, fairly uniform, crack resistant beefsteaks with very good flavor. Originally brought from the Azores by Anthony Neves.

Dothan, Alabama