Devil's Trumpet, Horn of Plenty, Downy Thorn Apple

Datura metel

Genus: Datura (duh-TOO-ruh) (Info)
Species: metel (MET-el) (Info)
Synonym:Datura fastuosa

Blanco, Texas

Natalia, Texas

Racine, Wisconsin

On Aug 3, 2009, flyingpainter from Elizabethton, TN wrote:

I recieved my seeds in a free packet only I didn't know at the time that they were in there. When the plant started to grow I didn't know what it was so I looked it up. It finally grew so big I had to move it to a huge pot I had used previously in Fl. for a tree on my patio. A few days after I moved it I noticed there were more growing in the place where I had taken this one from. I find them to be beautiful plants and mine bloom at night and in the morning because they are on the west side of my house. My only problem with it is it grows so big and so fast that now I have to move the ones that are growing in the original place, but I stll love it.

On Feb 5, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is an annual here in zone 5, but it does self-seed. It is sweetly scented, and I kind of like it. My Mom says it is a weed in the South where she is from!

On Nov 12, 2004, stubblep from Durham, NC wrote:

Have had this plant in NC (zone 7) for several years, given to me by a neighbor, but could never find out what it was. Gave it to a friend in NY (zone 5), who has also had good luck with it there. White trumpet flowers, 6" across, blooms only at night. Grows in 3' x 3' loose bush shape. I put mine in double peony cages this year for support, because they get so large and heavy they tend to droop over by mid summer. Propogates freely (can be invasive) by seeds dropped from large pods. Seedlings transplant easily. I cut it back to the ground in fall. Blooms here from June through Sept. Seems to love our heat and humidity. At peak bloom period, each plant can have 20 or more flowers in bloom on a given night - which looks just spectacular. I get many comments about how spectacular ... read more

On Oct 29, 2004, sillylizard from New Bern, NC wrote:

My plant has grown in a mulch made primarily of pine that we brought in from the recycle center. Last winter it died back to the point that I thought it was dead. Mid-summer it came back and by August the plant was 3 ft tall with a spread of 3 feet with a mass of flowers. The deer do NOT touch this plant if you are looking for an attractive flower that will not disappear after a night of browsing.

On Oct 24, 2004, sherrynita from Groesbeck, TX wrote:

This plant has grown fast this summer to about 3 feet high. It is blooming profusely in October.The blooms are a beautiful dark purple with almost white insides. The blooms are about six to seven inches long and are either double or triple blooms. I was a little alarmed when I read that these plants are poisonous, though.

On Sep 21, 2004, lottylee from Fort Wayne, IN wrote:

I bought one of these a few years back. I have been growing them in pots ever since but have never gotten one to grow as tall as the original (usually about a foot high). The original was around three feet.

I have yet to meet someone from this area who has seen one before. Interesting to see all the areas they have been grown in.

On Jul 30, 2004, CatskillKarma from West Kill, NY wrote:

Mine are pale yellow, grown in whiskey barrel planters, and reseed themselves readily from year to year in zone 4b. Quite spectacular, although sort of coarse. They never sprout until after Memorial Day, but bloom by mid-August until the first frost.

On Jul 29, 2004, adinamiti from Balotesti
Romania (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have a few datura which have been grown from the seeds in march and replanted the little plants.

On Jul 23, 2004, CaptMicha from Brookeville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

My datura is planted in full sun and never gets watered unless it rains but it grew and flowered none-the-less.

Flowers are very large, open at night, close during the day and the sweet fragrance fills the night air. Leaves are largish, dark green and black veined and outlined. The plants don't get too big which is good for flower beds or pots.

On Jul 5, 2004, nipajo from Dallas, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I planted mine under a banana tree. It gets some sun but not much and it is doing beautifully. It has gotten alot taller since I planted it and has not stopped blooming.

On Jul 4, 2004, PLANT_NUT from Charlotte, NC wrote:

These plants are magnificent! Even without the blooms, the silvery-grey purple-veined foilage is interesting.

Mother and I bought a trumpet each last year. She planted her's in full sun and I planted mine in part sun. She lives in another city about 1 1/2 hours north of me. I was surprised to see that this year, my trumpet did not come back AND on a visit to my mother's home, I counted over 50 individual new trumpet plants!!! I have dug some of them up and transplanted them into my garden this season in a different spot than last year. Wish me luck!

On Jun 6, 2003, nicolas wrote:

found in Namibia desert and grow by seel in France

On Sep 28, 2001, poppysue from Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

Datura metel often confused as D.meteloides. Flowers up to 6 inches long, fruit capsules are round, nodding with smooth bumps (no spines). Cultivars available with double and sometimes triple corollas