PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Goliath Red'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Goliath Red

Canning

Leaf Type:
Regular Leaf

Positive reynolds357 On Jan 26, 2009, reynolds357 from Elberton, GA wrote:

I have grown this variety in Georgia for about 12 years. This tomato simply outperforms everything else that I have grown or currently grow. With proper fertilizer and soil preparation, the vines will easily top 8 ft in length. They are loaded with large, well shaped fruit. In my opinion, the taste is better than average. I have never had any disease problems with this variety. It yields prolific amounts of fruit. Some are mis-shapen, but since I do not sell my tomatoes that is not a matter of concern to me. In my soil, hands down, it outperforms Early Girl, Better Boy, Big Boy, celebrity, Jet Star, and super steak. I have definitely not found an heriloom that can touch it on productivity. I can plant this tomato anywhere and not worry about disease. I am sure that it is susceptible to something, but I have never talked with anyone in my area who has lost a goliath to anything other than a cut worm.

Neutral Suze_ On Jan 17, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Seeds available from Mariseeds, blurb says...

"An outstanding producer all season long of smooth, round red globes. An excellent market variety."

Elberton, Georgia