Tomato 'Kimberly'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Kimberly
» View all varieties of Tomatoes

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Ferment seeds before storing

Turlock, California

Clarksville, Indiana

Elgin, Texas

On Feb 28, 2015, DonShirer from Westbrook, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

Victory says name should be Kimberley. "Bred in Kimberley, British Columbia by John de Rocque sometime in the mid-1980s"

On Sep 11, 2006, MikeyJoe from Clarksville, IN wrote:

Kimberly was by far the first Tomato I picked this year. But I can't really say how early it would normally be. A fellow CHOPTAG member started several in his greenhouse in January and shared them with us in May. He had to top them to get them into his van but it was still over four feet tall when I got it. So after sticking it in the ground I was picking my first Tomato in about three weeks.

Normally I do not try to explain flavor as interpretations vary widely from person to person, but Kimberly does seem to have a stronger flavor than most golfball sized Tomatoes. The red color is good and the fruit is quite uniform.

On Jan 18, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Surprisingly good flavor for such an early tomato. Better tasting than Stupice or Matina, in my opinion. Was earlier in my garden too. First ripe fruits in spring ~90 days after germination of seed. Sets well in the heat; would be an excellent choice for fall crop in warmer zones.

Plant is on the compact side for an indeterminate and great for containers and those large box store cages. Very open habit, sort of similar to Stupice. Fruits are large cherries.

Developed in the mid-1980's by John de Rocque of Kimberly, BC, Canada from a Siberia x Tiny Tim cross.