Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Tomato 'Tennessee Britches'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Tennessee Britches
» View all varieties of Tomatoes

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Ferment seeds before storing

Atlanta, Georgia

Clarksville, Indiana

Elysburg, Pennsylvania

On Jan 30, 2016, zark from Elysburg, PA (Zone 5b) wrote:

Tennessee Britches was one of the first slicers to ripen for me, even though it is listed as a late season tom. The plants were large and vigorous. The fruits were sweet and very tasty. Looked like the plants were going to be heavy croppers. But then two plants I had got some sort of disease, I had to pull them just as the season was starting. I even had the two plants located in two different gardens, but the same results. I do plan to give them another try some time soon.

On Jul 22, 2007, girlgroupgirl wrote:

This was also the first tomato to fruit in my own garden. Mine looks much different than the photo posted here. The one I am growing is at least twice the size, elongated sideways, slightly pleated and tastes just fantastic! It was one of the best tomatoes I have eaten.
I am finding that the tomatoes are so large they are fruiting slowly, the vine is putting all it's energy into only a few fruit at a time. Worth the wait for the next ripe one!

On Sep 12, 2006, MikeyJoe from Clarksville, IN wrote:

Tennessee Britches was my first full-size Tomato to ripen this year. When you consider that it produces uniform fruit that is blemish free, tasty, and won't crack, it makes it a real winner. It will definetly be in my garden again next year.

On Jan 18, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

95 days, indeterminate Regular leaf plants with good leaf coverage producing huge (up to forty ounces), pink fruits. Rare heirloom.