Washingtonia
Washingtonia x filibusta

Family: Arecaceae (ar-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Washingtonia (Washing-ton-ee-a) (Info)
Species: x filibusta (fil-ih-BUS-ta) (Info)

Palms

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

North, South Carolina

Bremerton, Washington

Vancouver, Washington

On Jul 18, 2014, Cali_Boy137 from Vancouver, WA wrote:

It Grows Great in Vancouver, WA and I've Seen big and tall ones in Portland, OR i saw one in portland that was like 130 feet! :)

On Apr 10, 2012, SuburbanNinja80 from Plainfield, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

Something I noticed. California fan palm has green thorns as the Mexican fan palm has red thorns. The hybrid I have orange thorns. Most say I love this palm. I wonder it can reproduce to a california fan palm that I also own. The joy of cold hardy palms.

On Mar 5, 2012, haleybug1109 from Bremerton, WA wrote:

I have a Washingtonia Filibusta growing outside in my Bremerton Wa.(Seattle area) yard. This palm has been in the ground 2 winters now with only minor damage. This particular plant I have is 6 feet tall 4 1/2 trunk feet and has frond color of Robusta (green green not olive green) and frond shape of Filifera and has had only minor damage at 14F. Our winters here are our wet season and tolerates this fairly well and grows back quite well in the summer with the dry season and the low humidity.

On Jun 12, 2011, NorthSC from North, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

Washingtonia FiliBusta hybrid grows here without protection and is completely defoliated (browned) but grows back in spring and it starts growing as early as February, but it may get in trouble or even be killed on colder winters. I have one dead, but I suspect it may have been killed by voles?

Will try W. filifera from now on, probably a good one for this area too as long as its kept in a well draining soil.

If anyone in mid SC has flifera growing in ground successfully I'd like to see if possible. I know only one W. filifera (or is it a hybrid?), which is very large and grows right next to Hwy 378 which is a Sunset Boulevard between Columbia and Lexington, SC.

I think SC needs plenty of Wash. Filiferas as they should do well here and would be... read more

On Jan 20, 2006, ineedacupoftea from Denver, CO wrote:

This is a hybrid of W. filifera and W. robusta. Just what odds that an ironic and comical name like "Washingtonia x filibusta" would come to be, we will never know. Perhaps the same reason that a peice of toast always lands on the floor jam-side down; landing jam-side up only when a dog is nearby to eat it before one can retreive it. The palm is said to be somewhat drought tolerant and rumored to be hardier than both parents. Relatively new to cultivation; coming to a Senate near you...