PlantFiles: Blue Ginger
Dichorisandra thyrsiflora

Family: Commelinaceae (ko-mel-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Dichorisandra (dy-kor-ih-SAN-druh) (Info)
Species: thyrsiflora (thur-SEE-flor-uh) (Info)

Blue-Violet

Thumbnail #6 of Dichorisandra thyrsiflora by dovey

Thumbnail #7 of Dichorisandra thyrsiflora by Floridian

Negative eliasastro On Jul 26, 2012, eliasastro from Athens
Greece (Zone 10a) wrote:

It becomes very sad here when temperatures rise above 30C/86F.
It is a cool grower and dislikes hot weather very much, i don't think it will ever bloom here. At least i hope it survives the hot summer.

Positive Shizam On Feb 11, 2012, Shizam from Honolulu, HI wrote:

I live on Oahu in Hawaii. I just dug up my blue ginger. I had it on the west side of the house so it gets a fair amount of shade. It has been in the ground about 4 years. There were A LOT of the tubers! Generally they were connected to the "growing root" and I agree with one of the posters that it seems to provides or store nutrients/moisture. I am wondering if the tubers will generate a new plant. I will try it and see. Also...to the people growing it in the house. This plant roots very easily. Use moist potting soil, maybe a little more moist while rooting. Cut just below the knuckle. I like to scrape some of the skin off of the knuckle so the roots have a easier time coming out. You can cut the top off the plant below a knuckle and a new top will grow out of the top knuckle. It's not a knuckle...what is it called?? I LOVE PLANTS!!!!!!

Positive delcape On Dec 11, 2005, delcape from Dennis, MA wrote:

I bought a cane about 12 yrs ago, at the boston flower show. It has reached as high as 6 ft. and flowered a few times for me. I winter it indoors,, under flo. lites. Upon repotting, i found tht it had grown potato or dahlia-like tubers, which I've since re-potted, and it regenerates well. Also, I've given away many canes (just sections of a stem), which will form new plants, It also will form roots when cut and put in water w/ rooting hormone. It is a very worthwhile plant from any angle.

Delcape

Positive ardesia On Nov 3, 2005, ardesia from Saint Helena Island, SC (Zone 9a) wrote:

Mine has been outdoors year round, in a container, for the past 5 years. It starts blooming in late September and continues through December for me. It has never been a particularily thirsty plant for me. Like most Tradescantias, it seems to thrive in almost any conditions.

I have started many cuttings and it seems to root fastest for me in damp vermiculite.

Positive grikdog On Aug 28, 2005, grikdog from St. Paul, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

This is an excellent houseplant. It flowers indoors in the early winter.

It will grow well in an east exposure. It is tall and statuesque and gives a palm like effect because the big thick stems are somewhat bare.

It is tolerant of neglect and develops big thick tubers in the soil which make it tolerant of drought.

Neutral smiln32 On Aug 25, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Erect, clump-forming, rhizomatous, soft-stemmed, evergreen perennial - prefers fertile well-drained soil. It is not a fast grower. It is actually a relative of the wandering jew plant.

Positive foodiesleuth On May 23, 2004, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

This plant grows very well in the wild in Hawaii. Does not require any care that I can see. I live in the rainy area of the Big Island where it is not unusual to get rain measured in feet rather than inches.

Apparently the plant does better in shade than sun...the leaves are greener and the blooms are brighter when not growing in full sunlight.

Since they are just there, in the yard under the wider, taller canopies, we don't do much to them except for trimming off once in a while so no idea as to what kind of fertilizer would be best. They do well in humid conditions.

They do root easily. Just cut pieces of the cane and stick in the ground. We've never had to try rooting them in water or use any kind of rooting powder.

Neutral salakr On May 22, 2004, salakr from Alexandria, VA wrote:

I bought a shoot of this plant in Hawaii about 6 years ago without knowing anything about the plant. It has grown to 5 feet tall but has only bloomed once. I am not much of a gardener so haven't know how to care for it. I live near Washington DC so I bring the plant in the house during the winter months. I wonder if I should just leave it indoors year round since it is hard to move given the size. I grow it in a pot year round. I wondered if I had trimmed it, would it be fuller. Should I trim it now? The leaves often brown on the tips and the edges....what causes this and how can I prevent it? What type of fertilizer should I use? What type of soil should it be in? How often should it be watered?

Positive drjay On Aug 2, 2003, drjay wrote:

I bought a shoot of blue ginger in Hawaii and brought it back to Nebraska. It has been under flourescents since planted. Something of a slow starter, it is really taking off after 5 months. Tallest stock is about 3 feet tall, with several others rising rapidly. When one stalk got broken off, I was able to successfully root it in distilled water, and it has rejoined the pot. Don't know if it will ever flower in these conditions, but the foliage alone is gorgeous.

Neutral Monocromatico On May 28, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

Ive seen this plant in wilderness. The contrast of the white-blue flowers with the surrounding green foliage was awesome. I never tried this plant myself, though, but Ive seen many of them used in gardens and public places here in Rio de Janeiro

Anniston, Alabama
Archer, Florida
Boca Raton, Florida
Bradenton Beach, Florida
Brooksville, Florida
Deland, Florida (2 reports)
Gainesville, Florida
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Merritt Island, Florida
Naples, Florida
Orlando, Florida
Pensacola, Florida (2 reports)
Plant City, Florida