Coneflower 'Matthew Saul'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Echinacea (ek-in-AY-shee-a) (Info)
Cultivar: Matthew Saul
Additional cultivar information:(PP17652, Big Sky Series, aka Harvest Moon)
Hybridized by R. Saul
Registered or introduced: 2007

Gold (Yellow-Orange)

This plant is resistant to deer

Denver, Colorado

Concrete, Washington

Dallas, Wisconsin

Ellsworth, Wisconsin

On Jun 9, 2011, Bazuhi from Downers Grove, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

Planted this plant in 2010 in my new garden. I loved what it looked like in the pots at the local Home Depot so thought I would give it a shot. So far the plant has returned and we will see what flowers it will bring.

On Feb 14, 2011, RosemaryK from Lexington, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I like this plant just fine, but apparently so do the critters, since the petals looked "munched" upon all summer. Finally I spotted my labradoodle with his mouth on the plant. Remends me of Doris Day singing "Please, don't eat the daisies!" I think he chooses this one because it is exactly as tall as he is so he must think it's meant for him. Because of this I am more thrilled with the Big Sky eckinaceas that grow shorter and in other more unexpected colors.

On Jul 22, 2009, echinaceamaniac from (Clint) Medina, TN (Zone 7b) wrote:

VERY negative. It returns the second year half the size with quilled petals. YIKES! I've never seen such a mutant disaster. UGLY. The blooms fade within a couple of days and don't keep the nice yellow color long at all.

DON'T waste your money on these ugly things!

On Jan 27, 2008, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

Hybridized by Richard Saul, USA. Introduced in 2007.

On Oct 13, 2007, Kell from Northern California, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Also known as Mathew Saul, this echinacea has golden petals with a bright orangey cone that starts its blooming period in July. They plant can grow to 30 inches in height with 4 inch flowers on 30 inch stems. The flowers are slightly fragrant.

On Aug 26, 2007, cocoajuno from Buckeye, AZ (Zone 9a) wrote:

The color of this plant is true to its name, it glows just like a harvest moon, it cannot be captured with a camera. It has a very nice scent as an added bonus. Be sure to put this one where you can see and smell it easily.

On Jul 5, 2007, kimmy222 from Reading, PA wrote:

I currently have three of the Big Sky series echinacea. I have Twilight, Sundown, and Harvest Moon. I have had great success with them. Harvest Moon in particular has a gorgeous deep gold color that compliments the pure green color of the foliage. It's absolutely beautiful. My favorite coneflower yet. I had to move it to the front of my house, so I had more opportunities to appreciate its beauty up close on a daily basis. This cultivar will not disappoint. Another great aspect of it is that it doesn't have an overwhelming size. Mine is only about 2 feet tall and 18 inches wide. Much small than Magnus coneflowers. I've only had it in the ground for about 2 months, and it has tons of blooms. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this plant. In fact, I wish I had room for more!

On Jun 20, 2007, HortTiger from Inman, SC wrote:

So far I have not had much luck with Harvest Moon. I planted Twilight at the same time, and that plant seems to be much healthier. Harvest Moon's flowers are okay, but a lot of the leaves on the plant are withered and the flower petals have curled under. I have spoken with a few other people in my area that are having the same problem with theirs, and someone mentioned that it could be a problem with the tissue culture...? Time will only tell.

Only a somewhat lighter note, someone gave me Summer Sky and I bought Sunrise this weekend. Both of these plants are promising already!

On Jun 20, 2007, efbiosis from Oakland, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

The color is actually a bit off putting to me; more of a acid trip tangerine than anything else. Doesn't really complement any of the other colors in my garden, even when located next to similar tones plants like Rudbeckia or Coreopsis.

On the plus side it does grow and flower well (though I hate the color). Better than E. x 'Art's Pride' or 'Mango Meadowbright' but not as pleasing as 'Tiki Torch'

On Aug 29, 2006, bigcityal from Menasha, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

This really does have a light orange - mustard color to it. In time it fades to look exactly like Sunrise.