Cushion Spurge
Euphorbia polychroma 'Bonfire'

Family: Euphorbiaceae (yoo-for-bee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Euphorbia (yoo-FOR-bee-uh) (Info)
Species: polychroma (pol-ee-KROH-muh) (Info)
Cultivar: Bonfire
Additional cultivar information:(PP18585, aka Bon Fire)
Hybridized by Faria
Registered or introduced: 2005

Pale Yellow

Burgundy

Bronze-Green

This plant is resistant to deer

Patented

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Pelham, Alabama

Annandale, Virginia

Lexington, Virginia

Stafford, Virginia

Chimacum, Washington

Madison, Wisconsin (2 reports)

On Jun 9, 2014, JenDion from Litchfield, NH (Zone 5b) wrote:

This plant is amazing. It starts out plum/burgundy in the spring, flowers chartreuse-yellow that almost complete covers the plant, then when you cut it back (so it doesn't flop open after flowering), it has blue-green lower leaves (I cut mine back to 6" or so). Fantastic color plant.

On May 17, 2014, iowhen from Iowa City, IA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Outstanding colors. We came close to a frost last night, and it doesn't seem to be bothered.

On Dec 7, 2012, northgrass from West Chazy, NY (Zone 4b) wrote:

The color was not as bright as suggested on the tag but still very nice. It does not reseed and stays compact and neat unlike Chameleon, a nicer plant all around in my opinion.

On May 26, 2011, gardeningfun from Harpersfield, OH (Zone 5a) wrote:

I had this plant in partial to mostly shade and it didn't do well at all. It looked awful. Someone said to move it into full sun and it has done fantastic! Love it. It does well in my heavy clay soil in zone 5b. It has multiplied in the year it's been in it's new place.

On Apr 10, 2011, diamond9192002 from (Anita) Fort Wayne, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

The color of this plant is more stunning. I love this plant but it doesn't like being moved. I thought I had killed it after moving it it. It looked as if it was dead for a long time but it did come back. I have it planted in full sun.

On Apr 8, 2011, floraphiliac from Ludington, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

I bought 2 of these last summer and planted them in 2 different locations, one full sun and the other part sun. A month later they both started to lose foliage and by late summer both plants appeared to be dead. I left them alone and am hoping they somehow revive this spring but so far I haven't seen any new growth. I have 5 other types of euphorbia that are doing fine. Zone 6a.

Update spring 2012:
Bought two more of these early last year and planted them. They survived the winter and snow this time and are blooming now in early May. Perhaps the trick was planting them earlier in the season than I had done before. Although they are still rather small they are so cute with the burgundy colored foliage and bright yellow "flowers" that I changed my rating from neutral to... read more

On Aug 23, 2010, playwithdirt from Stillwater, MN wrote:

I planted 6 of the Cushion spurge in my front garden last fall. They came up and were beautiful this spring. I enjoyed the leaf color and the yellow blooms. A couple of weeks ago the plants just started dieing off for no discernible reason. They grew quite nicely all summer and just started dieing, one after the other. Not sure what is going on. I would definately note a postitive experience if I weren't losing all of them. They are not going all at one time, they are defiinatley going just one at a time. Any suggestions?