Hardy Bamboo 'Green Panda'

Fargesia rufa

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Fargesia (far-GHEE-zee-uh) (Info)
Species: rufa (ROO-fuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Green Panda

Ornamental Grasses and Bamboo

USDA Zone 5a: to -28.8 °C (-20 °F)

Partial to Full Shade

Galesburg, Michigan

Royal Oak, Michigan

Garden City, New York

New York City, New York

Elizabeth City, North Carolina (2 reports)

Sumter, South Carolina

On May 17, 2012, aumigod from Montréal

Planted this beauty outside three years ago, here in Montréal, Québec. Bought it in a 10-inch pot.

It's now 3-4' high and about as wide. This year's new shoots are a good foot higher, already (mid-May). Some browning of leaf-tips appeared over winter. Hoping they'll just magically vanish...

On Dec 25, 2010, turektaylor from Elizabeth City, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

it's a non invasive clumping bamboo, which makes me love it all the more. it's hardy from zone 5-9 but here in zone 8 i have to protect it from afternoon sun or it starts to croak . i water it at least every other day, since we've had bad droughts the past 2 summers.i highly recommend ( not so much for greenhorn beginners though because as someone said above, you have to be able to "read" what it's needs are))

On Apr 24, 2009, reg767 from Garden City, NY wrote:

We will be planting several 4' pots on April 25, 2009, using them mainly as screens. We hope for fast growth and a height of 7' or more from ground level. How wide do they get (clumping bamboo)? I have a cedar lattice - how far from the cedar lattice screen should I plant them? Thanks - I'll advise results in mid-summer. (We are on Long Island, NY - close suburb to NYC)

On Nov 14, 2007, ltalent from New York, NY wrote:

This plant has grown almost two feet since we planted it in containers in June. I have not seen a lot of discussion on care so here is what I've found out. If leaves curl lengthwise, it's thirsty. Brown tips, too much water. We are partial shade with lots of ambient light and it's been beautifully lush and green. It needs some space in front to accomodate its fountain shape. Great bamboo rustling sound and it was still pushing out culms in October. Now in November it's yellowing but we've had lots of rain. I would love to hear from anyone else who has gotten it through the winter.

UPDATE Spring 2010: New culms are around 5.5 feet high. Bamboo has wintered well without exception. Does need to be brushed off in heavy snow. I water mine just a cup or two of cold water in Januar... read more