PlantFiles: Yellow Scabiose, Yellow Cephalaria
Cephalaria alpina

Family: Caprifoliaceae (cap-ree-foh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info) (cap-ree-foh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cephalaria (sef-uh-LARE-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: alpina (AL-pin-a) (Info)

Synonym:Scabiosa alpina

Pale Yellow

By Joy
Thumbnail #1 of Cephalaria alpina by Joy

Thumbnail #2 of Cephalaria alpina by frausnow

Thumbnail #3 of Cephalaria alpina by frausnow

Thumbnail #4 of Cephalaria alpina by frausnow

Neutral frausnow On Jan 17, 2009, frausnow from Winterville, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is the first time I have grown the yellow Scabiosa. I purchased 6 seedlings from an online nursery. The plant itself got to be about 8" around and the flowers grow on long thin stems that reached about 18" long. Each plant had about four or 5 stems at a time. Looked kind of spindly. As soon as the flower was spent, I clipped the long stem down. I didn't want to let them go to seed right away so by deadheading them, more flowers came up. The flower heads are pretty, but much smaller than I expected, about the size of a nickel. The coloring is more of a light cream than yellow. This being the first year I thought that may have something to do with it. I did fertilize with a liquid product, but can't remember the name as it was something new I tried. I planted them around a post, but this year I'm planting more in between each one to make it look fuller. I'm not altogether pleased just yet. I'm anxious to see if their performance improves. They bloomed all summer long, but it was a slow process.

Positive Joy On Oct 4, 2006, Joy from Kalama, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

A small compact plant with an incredibly long bloom period. Blooms from late spring all the way up to first hard frost in my garden.
Easy to grow from seed. That's how I started mine.

Winterville, Georgia