PlantFiles: Leopard Plant
Ligularia stenocephala 'Little Rocket'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ligularia (lig-yoo-LAR-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: stenocephala (sten-oh-SEF-ah-luh) (Info)
Cultivar: Little Rocket

By Bazuhi
Thumbnail #1 of Ligularia stenocephala by Bazuhi

Thumbnail #2 of Ligularia stenocephala by DaylilySLP

Thumbnail #3 of Ligularia stenocephala by DaylilySLP

Thumbnail #4 of Ligularia stenocephala by DaylilySLP

Thumbnail #5 of Ligularia stenocephala by DaylilySLP

Positive skiekitty On Jun 29, 2011, skiekitty from Parker, CO (Zone 5b) wrote:

Very unfussy plant, doesn't seem to care if it gets watered or not. In my mini-rose bed, so, during drought, gets watered once a week if it's lucky. Beautiful flower spikes! A+ plant in my opinion!

Neutral Bazuhi On Jun 8, 2011, Bazuhi from Downers Grove, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

Year is 2011 and this plant was actaully planted in my garden in 2010, so this is it's first actual year of growth since I never count the first year. I saw this plant a couple years in a row at the local Home Depot and wouldn't purchase it due to actually looking it up on the net and finding that it prefers a damper soil. I also read that the snails and slugs also love this plant and to put sand around it to keep them away. Well I broke down and bought 2 of this variety and 2 of the Brit Marie. Yes when it gets really hot the leaves do droop but I see my coneflowers doing the same thing, I am not home a lot and so far it hasn't affected them but we have been getting rain in between the hot spells. The foliage is doing great and it is more of a green color then the maroon color they had last year. When I get a chance to see them this growing season I will better be able to decide if I like them or not but they did look cool in the pots last year! No soil additions were made at the time of planting but I did add garden soil to the bottom of the hole and part way up the sides just to help the roots in the beginning.

Negative chagrinriv On Aug 19, 2010, chagrinriv from Middlefield, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

We bought this plant to use in a very shady area. It looks great. But, if I don't water it EVERY day, it wilts. I would be interested to know others experience with it.

I usually go out in the early morning and water it with about 1 1/2 gallons of water from a watering can. If I don't it does a serious wilt about 2 - 3:00 pm. I'm afraid to not water it, lest it die.

Parker, Colorado