Apple
Malus x domestica 'Gold Rush'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Malus (MAY-lus) (Info)
Species: x domestica (doh-MESS-tik-a) (Info)
Cultivar: Gold Rush
Additional cultivar information:(aka Co-op 38, GoldRush)

Pollination:

Lincoln, Nebraska

Sweetwater, Tennessee

positive

On Nov 5, 2012, treesmoocher from Spencer, WV wrote:

In spring 2009, I planted three dwarf apples, two semi-dwarf and one standard pear, and a sour cherry, all from Cummins Nursery. The apples have bloomed for two years now and the Gold Rush had 18 apples last year. This year it had about fifty. It's been the fastest growing of the three, the most productive, and clearly the most insect and disease resistant (I have never sprayed any of them with anything). The yellow apples vary in size, are sweet and spicy, and reputed to keep for most of a year in good conditions. Unfortunately since my tree is a dwarf it will never produce enough apples to last that long. If I find room for a standard apple tree, I will be tempted to make it a Gold Rush even though that would be redundant.

On May 22, 2006, Cybrczch from Lincoln, NE (Zone 5b) wrote:

Purchased in 1999. Tree is about 8 foot tall, irregularly branched - 3 major branches and a lot of spur-type growth. Susceptible to cedar apple rust, and late May/June the leaves (and occasional fruit) show rust. Blooms later, fruit set heavy, requires thinning. This job has been taken over by a volunteer group of furry tailed rats (squirrels) who have thinned it to the point that I haven't gotten a fruit from it yet. If and when I do harvest some, I will update.

On Feb 19, 2006, Big_Red from Bethelridge, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

(Also known as: Co-op 38)

Parentage / Origin: Co Op 17 x Golden Delicious; PRI (Purdue, Rutgers, Illinois Co Op), 1994.
Description: Fruit is conic-round, medium large, a deep uniform greenish yellow. Flesh is hard, very crisp and breaking. Sugar-acid balance slightly favors tartness at harvest, mellowing slightly in storage. Storage exceeds 6 months.