Pink Rain Lily, Rainlily
Zephyranthes rosea

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Zephyranthes (ze-fi-RANTH-eez) (Info)
Species: rosea (RO-zee-uh) (Info)

Bulbs

Rose/Mauve

Phoenix, Arizona (2 reports)

Kihei, Hawaii

Princeton, Texas

Spring, Texas

On Jun 6, 2013, ulvehun from Ebeltoft
Denmark wrote:

I have only grown it indoors in a pot. Tried to place it outside last summer in the pot, but it seemed to be burnt by the sun, so I would like to hear from anyone who has tried - in a climate like mine (Denmark) - and succeed to plant it in the garden and what to do in winter?
My bulbs are more than 60 years old, but growing and renewing all the time

On Jul 26, 2003, StAndrew from Lutherville Timonium, MD wrote:

A very beautiful flowering bulb! In my experience with this rain lily, it seems to like being pot bound ... with its many offsets. I was living in Zone 6 ... Cleveland, OH (less than a mile from L. Erie ... though it may be considered Zone 5b or 5a ... depends on your source) when I first started growing this bulb. I let it go dormant in the pot it was planted in. The following Spring, I resume watering (same pot)... the new growth zooms up, quickly, followed by the flowers that look like large Q-tips before they open up. I have not noticed a fragrance ... maybe I need to take a closer sniff!

I divide the bulbs and re-pot every two or three years ... depending on how closely they were originally potted.

The initial blooming consists of numerous flowers almo... read more

On Mar 3, 2003, mbandaka wrote:

This Zeph. is widely available. I have not tested its hardiness, but others consider it to be very tender. As a pot plant under glass it does not bloom as profusely as many of the other species.

On Aug 22, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Z. rosea is sometimes confused with the larger Z. grandiflora, but their flowering habits easily distinguish the two species, as Z. rosea has significantly smaller, rounded blooms, sometimes with eight blossoms. In contrast, Z. grandiflora has six-petalled blooms nearly three times the size.