PlantFiles: Water Pennywort, Dollarweed, Manyflower Marsh Pennywort
Hydrocotyle umbellata

Family: Apiaceae (ay-pee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hydrocotyle (hi-droh-KOT-ih-lee) (Info)
Species: umbellata (um-bell-AY-tuh) (Info)

Ponds and Aquatics

Very high moisture needs; suitable for bogs and water gardens

By Ulrich

By frostweed
Thumbnail #6 of Hydrocotyle umbellata by frostweed

By plantladylin
Thumbnail #7 of Hydrocotyle umbellata by plantladylin

Negative plantladylin On Apr 26, 2011, plantladylin from South Daytona, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Grrr ... Almost impossible to get rid of this stuff here in my Florida lawn, we've been fighting it for years and I'm so tired of trying to eradicate it, especially from the flower beds. The runners break off when you try to pull them out and even when digging them, there always seems to be parts that stay buried to re-sprout within days (or is it just hours?)

I'm about to give up entirely and just go with a Dollarweed lawn!

Positive Witchie On Feb 5, 2009, Witchie from Belle Chasse, LA wrote:

This plant self seeds; for I have not planted it.It appears biannually ;thus someone planted it before I bought the house.(Last year it wasn't there) The leaves are thick in nature thus must consume alot of water.The flowers(white) sprout in the center of this thick leaf; (I never have seen this before).The characteristics of this plant suggest an Aquatic Nature(Which perplexes me since this area leans towards a drought!)

Negative sugarweed On Apr 3, 2006, sugarweed from Jacksonville & Okeechobee, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is what we call Dollar Weed in Florida. It has tiny tender runners that throw a leaf and root every inch.

It is almost impossible to be rid of it in Jacksonville. The only way to get rid of it is to move. It can be pretty ground cover, but it is so intrusive it won't let desirable plants have any room.

Negative catcollins On Mar 2, 2006, catcollins from West Friendship, MD (Zone 6b) wrote:

This is a very invasive little plant. We bought a small pot and placed it in the stream that connects our two ponds. We thought the long tendrils and small round leaves were very charming. This fall when we were closing down the ponds for winter, we discovered that those tendrils had rooted all throughout the stones lining the stream bed and were impossible to remove from all the tiny crevices. I was hoping the winter cold would kill it, but I fear this winter has been too mild. I'm going to have to work hard to remove this plant to keep it from clogging up our stream this year. Be diligent and cut off any tendrils.

Negative patp On Jan 6, 2004, patp from Summerville, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I'd like to know how to eradicate this pesky plant. It has a delicate root system that breaks below the surface when the plant is pulled out. Digging the roots up isn't much help since some roots remain hidden in the soil to sprout more leaves. It thrives in wet areas, such as beneath a spigot or where marsh-like conditions exist, and looks messy among desirable plantings.

Negative Monocromatico On Jan 6, 2004, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

I found this plant on the edges of a bog near the sea, growing spontaneously. I dont know if this is native to here, but this is quite an ugly little plant that seems to take over the places where it grows.

Neutral KactusKathi On Jan 5, 2004, KactusKathi from Goodyear, AZ (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant is growing in my pond! It can be very invasive if you do not keep it under control. The fish love hiding beneath it and it makes a beautiful addition to the pond.

Neutral Terry On Aug 21, 2002, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

This genus is still listed as Apiaceae by some sources, although many are changing it to Araliaceae, based on DNA data.

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Washington, California
Daytona Beach, Florida
Destin, Florida
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)
Lehigh Acres, Florida