Water Pennywort, Dollarweed, Manyflower Marsh Pennywort
Hydrocotyle umbellata

Family: Apiaceae (ay-pee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hydrocotyle (hi-droh-KOT-ih-lee) (Info)
Species: umbellata (um-bell-AY-tuh) (Info)

Ponds and Aquatics

Very high moisture needs; suitable for bogs and water gardens

Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Washington, California

Daytona Beach, Florida

Destin, Florida

Fort Walton Beach, Florida

Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)

Lehigh Acres, Florida

Beaumont, Texas

New Braunfels, Texas

Spicewood, Texas

On Jun 7, 2015, h9kr4jg8ir5 from Spring, TX wrote:

Adorable, unusual, native ground cover for mushy, swampy soil. It makes a nice carpet; it looks like a large clover or small ivy. It sprouts naturally, telling us that Mother Nature wants it in conditions like this. It provides ecological value to the soil chemistry, microorganisms, insects, and the web of life. For humans, it even has potential medicinal and edible uses. It's endangered in some states.

On Apr 26, 2011, plantladylin from (Zone 1) wrote:

Grrr ... Almost impossible to get rid of this stuff here in my Florida lawn, we've been fighting it for years and I'm so tired of trying to eradicate it, especially from the flower beds. The runners break off when you try to pull them out and even when digging them, there always seems to be parts that stay buried to re-sprout within days (or is it just hours?)

I'm about to give up entirely and just go with a Dollarweed lawn!

On Feb 5, 2009, Witchie from Belle Chasse, LA wrote:

This plant self seeds; for I have not planted it.It appears biannually ;thus someone planted it before I bought the house.(Last year it wasn't there) The leaves are thick in nature thus must consume alot of water.The flowers(white) sprout in the center of this thick leaf; (I never have seen this before).The characteristics of this plant suggest an Aquatic Nature(Which perplexes me since this area leans towards a drought!)

On Apr 3, 2006, sugarweed from Okeechobee, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

This is what we call Dollar Weed in Florida. It has tiny tender runners that throw a leaf and root every inch.

It is almost impossible to be rid of it in Jacksonville. The only way to get rid of it is to move. It can be pretty ground cover, but it is so intrusive it won't let desirable plants have any room.

On Mar 2, 2006, catcollins from West Friendship, MD (Zone 6b) wrote:

This is a very invasive little plant. We bought a small pot and placed it in the stream that connects our two ponds. We thought the long tendrils and small round leaves were very charming. This fall when we were closing down the ponds for winter, we discovered that those tendrils had rooted all throughout the stones lining the stream bed and were impossible to remove from all the tiny crevices. I was hoping the winter cold would kill it, but I fear this winter has been too mild. I'm going to have to work hard to remove this plant to keep it from clogging up our stream this year. Be diligent and cut off any tendrils.

On Jan 6, 2004, patp from Summerville, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I'd like to know how to eradicate this pesky plant. It has a delicate root system that breaks below the surface when the plant is pulled out. Digging the roots up isn't much help since some roots remain hidden in the soil to sprout more leaves. It thrives in wet areas, such as beneath a spigot or where marsh-like conditions exist, and looks messy among desirable plantings.

On Jan 6, 2004, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

I found this plant on the edges of a bog near the sea, growing spontaneously. I dont know if this is native to here, but this is quite an ugly little plant that seems to take over the places where it grows.

On Jan 5, 2004, KactusKathi from Goodyear, AZ (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant is growing in my pond! It can be very invasive if you do not keep it under control. The fish love hiding beneath it and it makes a beautiful addition to the pond.

On Aug 21, 2002, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

This genus is still listed as Apiaceae by some sources, although many are changing it to Araliaceae, based on DNA data.