Fuchsia
Fuchsia 'Dark Eyes'

Family: Onagraceae (on-uh-GRAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Fuchsia (FEW-she-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Dark Eyes

Lubbock, Texas

Chimacum, Washington

Freeland, Washington

North Bend, Washington

Seattle, Washington (2 reports)

On Oct 29, 2013, mehitabel45 from Whidbey Island, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I bought several varieties in root tubes a few years ago. 'Dark Eyes' is the only variety to survive the last two winters and rebloom. I have to admit, I've given it absolutely no care. It didn't bloom until early September, but it's blooming still. I'll be taking better care of it this year. I'll put the planter in a low tunnel to keep it warmer. Three warmer-than-usual winters in a row are extremely unlikely. I'll take a few cuttings from both plants.

On Oct 21, 2013, otisbird from Los Osos, CA wrote:

No one mentions fushsia mites?

On Dec 21, 2011, freweeln from Raleigh, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have been buying this plant in hanging baskets for years and for the life of me do not know why I cannot keep it alive. This is the only plant, in both container or garden, that I have this problem with! It either ends up that I purchased it with spider mites (which I know how to deal with but am always unsuccessful in THIS plant variety) or it just dies for no known reason to me. It starts losing leaves, dries up, withers away. I water it when it looks as though it needs it, or at least once a week.

I live in the central part of North Carolina. I saw a posting from someone from Kansas who has transplanted it into the ground. I wonder if anyone in the NC area has done so with any success.

Also, this plant looks exactly like our native honeysuckle...... read more

On Nov 11, 2006, ArqAsh from Manhattan, KS (Zone 5b) wrote:

I transferred "Dark Eyes" from a hanging planter into the ground about 3 years ago - planted it in a protected area with lots of morning sun and light shade the rest of the day. It's been coming back around late spring with beautiful, large purple flowers for 2 years now. I cut the dead twigs down to the ground late winter and I don't notice it till its ready to bloom again and keeps blooming till first frost.

On Jun 25, 2006, Leehallfae from Seattle, WA wrote:

Dark Eyes is in a container, and is sheltered from direct sun. The soil is kept moist, and a fertilizer, 12-55-5, is added twice a month.

It is already flowering, in June, even though my fucshias do not usually bloom until September.

On Apr 16, 2006, snuzi from Belle Rose, LA wrote:

I am on my second fuchsia plant. I have been unsuccessful with this but I really think it's due to my own errors. I'm sure I drowned my 1st one and couldn't find a "happy place" for it. Now that I have done my research and realized that it doesn't have to be wet, only moist and would love light mistings throughout the day. Also I think I found that happy placefor it with light morning sun...I can only hope and pray that I won't kill this one. It is HUGE...biggest I've ever seen. I paid $17 at a Hardware store but would have gladly paid $25. Its beautiful. Wish me luck with this one!!