Japanese Fiber Banana, Japanese Hardy Banana

Musa basjoo

Family: Musaceae
Genus: Musa (MEW-suh) (Info)
Species: basjoo (BAS-joo) (Info)

Pale Yellow

Tuxtla Gutiérrez, (2 reports)

Alabaster, Alabama

Gaylesville, Alabama

Tucson, Arizona

Bella Vista, Arkansas

Pine Bluff, Arkansas

Sherwood, Arkansas

Sparkman, Arkansas

Berkeley, California

Fresno, California (2 reports)

Martinez, California

Trenton, Florida

Winter Haven, Florida

Yulee, Florida

Alto, Georgia

Atlanta, Georgia (2 reports)

Clayton, Georgia

Cary, North Carolina

Gastonia, North Carolina

Louisburg, North Carolina

Oxford, North Carolina

Raleigh, North Carolina (2 reports)

Weaverville, North Carolina

Winston Salem, North Carolina

Bucyrus, Ohio

Cincinnati, Ohio (2 reports)

Conneaut, Ohio

Vermilion, Ohio

West Chester, Ohio

Westerville, Ohio

Jay, Oklahoma

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (2 reports)

Tahlequah, Oklahoma

Portland, Oregon (2 reports)

Salem, Oregon

Hummelstown, Pennsylvania

Macungie, Pennsylvania

Mc Keesport, Pennsylvania

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Beaufort, South Carolina (2 reports)

Bluffton, South Carolina

Charleston, South Carolina

Columbia, South Carolina

Hilton Head Island, South Carolina

Ladys Island, South Carolina

Leesville, South Carolina

Lexington, South Carolina (2 reports)

Liberty Hill, South Carolina

Little Mountain, South Carolina

Lugoff, South Carolina

Lydia, South Carolina

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina (2 reports)

Pelion, South Carolina

Bellevue, Washington

East Port Orchard, Washington

Lake Forest Park, Washington

Lynnwood, Washington

Puyallup, Washington (2 reports)

Quilcene, Washington

Seattle, Washington (3 reports)

Shoreline, Washington

Sandstone, West Virginia

Mc Farland, Wisconsin

Cheyenne, Wyoming

On Jun 8, 2015, zone_5 from East Aurora, NY wrote:

Great plant and great concept in the Buffalo NY area--a banana tree swaying poolside. I cared for it as prescribed. Watered it generously every day. It grew nicely. When cold weather came, I waited until it started to show the effects of the cold and, when there was no more promise of warmth, I cut it back to a foot, covered it with 3' or 4' of dry leaves and put a custom-made wire shelter over it & covered the whole thing with v. heavy duty clear plastic. Through the winter, I occasionally peaked and the leaf mulch stayed dry. A record 6' snowfall didn't take it down. It couldn't fail--except it did. I waited until late May and found...a completely rotted, mushy corm. Nothing to save. There are no guarantees in life. It was a nasty winter but I also wonder about a comment below about clay... read more

On Jun 3, 2015, DocBotany from Camby, IN wrote:

I had this plant for several years here in Indianapolis. I can personally attest that this plant survived several winters of below zero (mulched) with one winter that reached 17 below zero and it came back the following spring with flying colors. This little banana tree is extremely hardy and very prolific.

On Aug 2, 2014, nzivanovic from Smederevo
Serbia (Zone 8a) wrote:

Generally speaking, as far as the family banana Musa basjoo is one of the fastest banana for me. I got in late last year, it has risen by almost a meter so far and let the two lugs. I keep it in a pot because I want to strengthen it then goes into the ground with all the shoots. He knows he has a good thick trees, of course, if not jaw when removing sheets. I told her not cut the leaves until it dries. Generally suffer all the conditions are well proven as regards short frosts but as to the long frosts below 0C leaves but the tree remains frozen even if the protection when they know exactly harsher winters and to grow and has a huge list of what I extremely like about this species bananas.

On Mar 31, 2014, jv123 from Vancouver, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This banana loves the Vancouver/Portland area. I don't do anything to protect it in the winter, and it pops up in March at the same time as my hostas on the south side of my garage. I bet if I were to protect the pseudostem over the winter I would get flowers. We get plenty of rain here for these bananas too, I hardly have to water them. The only thing I worry about is too much water in the winter. It rains nonstop and I have had some issues with corms rotting in other banana varieties.

On Dec 19, 2013, Bill2462 from Bedford, OH wrote:

I grow these plants outdoors in the Cleveland, Ohio area (zone 6). After the first hard frost, I cut the trunks back to a few inches and bury them under 1 to 2 feet of mulch. I then tarp over the pile. In the spring, lumps start appearing in the tarp and I know it's time to remove it. I remove the mulch around the beginning to middle of May depending on the weather.
The plant seem to be completely deer proof although japanese beetles will chew the leaves. I tried adding an insecticide to the ground around the plants that's taken up into the leaves and that seemed to eliminate the beetle problem. I have had the plants for 4 years now and they reached about 9 feet tall this year.
Things I learned:
1. Banana plants do not like clay soil. I dug a large hole and filled it... read more

On Sep 25, 2013, ROBTROPICS from Pembroke, MA wrote:

I have been growing these in MA for several years. My first came in the mail from FL and I planted it outside in the spring. It took off. It had bananas this year in late June. There have been many pups for future growth. I use uplights to provide a real tropical look at night.After the first frost, I cut the psuedostem to 2' and put a chicken wire cage around and fill with pine needles and cover with tarp. I unwrap on april 15th.

On Jun 13, 2013, CrispyCritter from Clayton, GA wrote:

Here in North Georgia at the Southern end of the Appalachian mountain range these are growing like crazy.

I bought my first basjoos online about three years ago and as of this week one of those plants has flowered for the first time and making tiny bananas. (I was very surprised to see this as it is still late Spring)

For the first few years I took lots of care of them in the Winter- piling leaves up 3-4 feet around them, and putting a plastic teepee over them.

Last Winter I got lazy and only put some leaves around one of the plants, I didn't cut them down or do anything to them, just let the frost kill the leaves back.

It only got down to 18F last winter at the lowest but they have definitely survived 11F in previous years.... read more

On Dec 26, 2012, mmosley from Pine Bluff, AR wrote:

These guys are troopers! I know winter isn't over yet, but I had to comment on this banana.
Here in southeast Arkansas, it's perfectly cold hardy--even in unusually cold winters. We're in zone 8a (more like zone 9a lately).
I have specimens planted all around my house, and here are my observations of its cold hardiness--particularly its leaf/growth hardiness. At 32* F, expect the leaves to burn some, though not completely. But once colder temperatures set in, all the leaves will burn. The ones with pseudostems/"trunks" 2-3 ft tall are still pushing green growth very slowly. Their offsets will turn to mush, but will come back in spring since they're root hardy.
One planted on the north side of my house--the coldest part--has 3 feet of pseudostem, and it's still pushin... read more

On Jul 18, 2012, SuburbanNinja80 from Plainfield, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

I love this banana... for two reasons. One it survived the winter without problems with a rose cone on top of it. Other reason its staring to out completed my cannes which am very surepressed that live this last winter.

On Apr 1, 2012, NTRLVR from Roscoe, IL wrote:

We planted 2 of these in the summer of 2010 on an eastern exposure protected from winter wind by our deck and house. The winter of 2010-11 was bitter and extra long with cold and frost through the 3rd week of May. We had covered them with oak leaves in hopes of insulating them further. At the end of June, we gave up hope.However, while weeding in July I discovered growth on one. We dug it up and potted it and it grew very slowly. We brought it in this winter, but I believe if it had been a milder winter that year, it would have flourished. We are 5 minutes from the northern ill/ southern wisconsin border so this plant is very hardy!

On Oct 1, 2010, braun06 from Peoria Heights, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

Quite an easy plant to grow. A business near my house has them planted along the foundation and they come back year after year, now in very large clumps. I have planted one in my yard and in peak heat and humidity would get a new leaf roughly every week.

It doesnt appear to be bothered by insects in my yard. I had a rough summer with Japanese beetles, aphids, spider mites, and white flies. None of them attracted to the plant. Keep it watered and fertilized through the summer. Water once a week if there is no rain. In the winter just cut it down and mulch deeply. Here in zone 5a I am able to keep a plant alive as a dieback perennial in a deep mulch bed far from any structure or form of protection. Wait for daily low temps to reach into the 60s to see it break dorman... read more

On Jul 16, 2010, ilikebananaplants from Philadelphia, PA wrote:

I've had the Musa Basjoo growing in front of my home in Philly for 8 years now, I never bring it indoors even during the coldest winters! all I've ever done was to add two foot of mulch the first time I planted it and in the fall I use the leaves from the plant itself to cover the ground where it grows. Thats it! Every spring I get anywhere from six to ten plants poppin' out of the ground that grow to about 15 foot or more! How easy is that! ;0) (it really is that easy!) EDIT: I forgot to mention for the past 3 years I've cut the plants down to about 4 to 5 feet instead of 2 feet during the falls end when the weather gets really nippy, the trunks survived all 3 years! they loose about 2 feet but I have gotten them to grow out of the surviving trunk which I think is really cool! I'm sure i... read more

On Jul 13, 2010, truecamelion from Westerville, OH wrote:

Howdy All,
A quick thought on the cold weather prepping of the banana, and or all sensitive plants for that fact. I read in this thread about using Christmas lights (handy idea) to keep the base of the trunk warm enough to prevent freezing.
That made me think of heat tape. Not sure if anyone is familiar. We use it here in ohio and most cold places to prevent freezing of pipes and such out doors etc. It is an extension cord shaped piece of "tape cord" that kicks on when ambient temps fall below avg 40 deg f.
Any thoughts on whether this would solve the need to bring indoors in the really cold winters nights with heavy winds.
Thank you all. and continued success be yours.

On Jun 6, 2010, RBKC from Kansas City, KS (Zone 5b) wrote:

I've grown basjoo outside year around in Kansas City, Kansas for 9 years. Before the first freeze, I cut them down to about 18 to 24 inches and mulch with DRY leaves. They are then surrounded by insulation and covered completely with a tarp. Any water that gets in will take them to the ground as a mushy mess. They'll still come back, but not to the height they would have reached if they remained dry all winter.

Dependent on the weather, I've uncovered them as early as early April, and left them uncovered as late at the middle of November. Doesn't always happen that way, but five or six weeks of additional growing season makes a big difference with these fast growing plants. I water heavily all summer and feed with either regular MG or Peter's every couple of weeks. They a... read more

On Apr 17, 2010, purplesun from Krapets
Bulgaria (Zone 8a) wrote:

My hardy banana is just coming out of the ground after a long winter, where temperatures hit +3 degrees F. The trunk was protected by means of a chicken-wire cage, packed with dead leaves from my garden. The crown of the plant was covered with a reasonably deep layer of well-rotted manure. Despite these measures, the trunk had frozen by the middle of the winter and was just an indistinct rotten mass when I removed the cage. The crown looked well though, and now new shoots are coming around the base of the old plant. I expect at least three stems to grow and reach 6 feet by the end of the season, if I'm lucky.
All of this is happening in Sofia, Bulgaria, 2300 feet AMSL, zone 6b.

On Jan 30, 2010, my_own_hawaii from Tulsa, OK wrote:

I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma and first planted my musa basjoos in spring of 2008. I originally purchased 6 plants from a local nursery and they were very small 1qt. containers. They did not have much of a corm back then. They grew up to 15ft by that first growing season and I had multiple pups by fall. I harvested the pups to start more basjoos and grew the pups inside during the winter and left the mother plants outside. I really did not do much winterizing other than cutting the plant to about a foot back and dusting the base of it with about 3 inches of mulch and dead leaves. We barley had any winter temperatures under 28 F but there were a few days that it did get pretty cold. In spring of 2009 they tops of the basjoos were a nasty mushy mess and I thought I had surly lost them, so I ... read more

On Mar 27, 2009, austinl01 from Sherwood, AR wrote:

The best banana to grow in colder climates. It can grow to 20 feet in one season in an established clump. Provide mulch during the winter if temps fall below 15 degrees. It's simply an awesome plant to grow for a tropical effect.

On Jul 5, 2008, arthurb3 from Raleigh, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Raleigh, NC

I wrapped the trunk with the large C-9 christmas lights and they kept it warm enough during the winter that there was not die back. The leaves were burnt when the temps were below 25 but now, in June the plant is taller than the first floor of the house. I hope to see a bud and blooms soon!

At JC Raulston Arboretum at NCSU they have some large clumps that bloom every year and they only cut them back to about 4 feet in the Spring to remove burnt folliage.

On Apr 9, 2008, joegee from Bucyrus, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

I gave this plant the best microclimate on my property, against the south foundation in a window well protected from the north and west winds. With a foot of leaves mounded over it, it has rewarded me by surviving this typical zone 5b-6a winter.

This is truly a musa for the masses!

On Dec 13, 2007, mactee from Kingsville On

My Basjoo has been growing for two years near the North Shore of Lake Erie near Kingsville, On. I originally started with a 1 gallon pot and a 7" plant. I fertilize it with the filtered sediment from my fish pond. I winter it (cut to 3') using chicken wire, mulched dry leaves and a tarp. This year multiple plants reached 15+ feet with 6' leaves. I split some of the pups (with some root) late in the summer and put them in small pots. They are currently thriving indoors in an East Facing Patio Door Window. My goal is to plant them outdoors in the Sping. They are definitely the show piece of the yard. What a great plant!

On Nov 4, 2007, BearKnuckles from Fort Washington, MD wrote:

This is my first year with this plant and I want to make sure I over-winter it correctly. Currently it is about 7 foot tall, I've put straw around the base and trunk, but have not cut it back.

Also, I have brought one of the off shoots inside. I got through the mild winter just fine, I took chicken wire and a bail of straw, I wrapped the trunk up about 3 feet with the straw, using two sections deep, then putting the rest around the bottom. This past Saturday I uncovered it and cut the dead mushy part back leaving most of the plant standing, (three foot) I noticed a couple of new shoots at the bottom and today there is a new leaf coming from the main trunk. It is winter burnt on the tip but it is still growing from the main trunk...

The plant inside has done... read more

On Nov 3, 2007, plantsman1957 from Kingsport, TN wrote:

These have got to be the easiest banana species to grow anywhere. They easily stand neglect and drought better than most plants. Mine in a good year will have pseudostems exceeding 10' tall with leaves over 6' in length. We've been in a severe drought all summer and fall and I've not watered them at all this year and yet they stand proud and tall and look nicer than most of the more tropical species that you will see in Florida. A more vigorous plant you'll be hard pressed to find. If you do decide to water and fertilize them regularly, be prepared to be impressed.

I'm in northeast TN right on the VA state line where I've been growing them for almost fifteen years and people still can't get over the fact that I'm not only growing real bananas but that they are growin... read more

On Oct 30, 2007, luvpugs from Indianapolis, IN wrote:

This was my first hardy banana plant. I live in Indianapolis and my yard faces south and east. I get a lot of sun. It was in a gallon pot when I planted this beauty... it grew to the top of my gutters!! Beautiful plant.Here it is a few days away from November and it still looks great. I tried to dig up a smaller "baby" yesterday but I do not know if I should just cut the large plant down and mulch it.This morning my transplant looks a little wilty.The rootball is huge on the large plant.What should I do?

On Jul 23, 2007, fixnta from Macungie, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Macungie, PA zone 6(b)

I grow it on the south side corner of my home, the first year it grew 8' from a tiny 7 inch plant. I just cut the plant back before first freeze, covered with 4-5 inches of mulch and the following spring i pulled some mulch back and it grew to 12'! That year I did not get to mulch it and it still came back, 6 plants, however as of this date they are only 4-5 feet tall. I live on a main street and people often stop me while i do yard work and go on about it. I planted purple Castor on the oppisite corner for a tropical look up north here. Keith

On Jun 14, 2007, CodyMody7890 from Reno, NV (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is positively my favorite tree in the yard completly stunning ! it is sold at a local nursery and they said " just try it " and it is doing great has grown about 2 feet in a week i hose down the leaves on hot afternoons and have it in full sun is doing great considering the high winds i have but a great plant im sure its hardiness range is lower than mine and we get a few night below 0' and i just put a bucket of mulch over it *AND WATER IT TWICE A MONTH DURING WINTER* it preserves the roots

On Jun 3, 2007, tropicsofohio from Hilliard, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

i am interested in seeing the growth rate for its first year in the ground. i would love to see it grow a cupple of feet in the next month. lets hope its a quickie :-)

spring 08' update:
i think it survived, though parts of the corms were mushy. i hope the deeper parts of the corm can bring the plant back, and if not.........

march 09
simple protection of christmas lights and mulch worked! after -14F i expected it to die compleetly to the ground, but there is still 3 inches of pseudostem left above the ground.... but we are not aout of the woods just yet.... expecting +4 in the next couple of days. and still about another month of winter weather.

On Mar 11, 2007, cactusman102 from Lawrence, KS wrote:

Musa basjoo is a relaible perennial in zone 6a/5b (lawrence, ks). I am a landscape architect and have used this plant in our plant designs at least 50 times in the last 4 years. Small 1gal sizes should be awoided in cold climates; they usually do not have a chance to get established. We use 5-7 gal for all plans. we have never had to replace an established specimen. The plant dies to the ground by december and regrows in early april. Its growth potential in our area is 18 feet but more typical heights of 7-10 feet are achieved. We are experimenting with several other root hardy tropical plants to use as perennials.

On Feb 4, 2007, SW_gardener from (Zone 6a) wrote:

According to my information this plant is hardy to 5 if well mulched and maybe even zone 4.

On Oct 8, 2006, 1cros3nails4gvn from Bluffton, SC (Zone 9a) wrote:

in lexington, sc the fiber banana is very common and needs little if any protection during the winter. it is the same here in hilton head , and usually keeps leaves and keeps growing a little in the winter unless a severe cold snap hits. Then it gets damaged, and then continues growing. the reason it is planted in the lowcountry is because of the color of the flower sheaths and that it keeps its leaves usually. otherwise if the gardener is like all y'all yankees up north, they will just grow the edible friuting kinds so they can be more "tropical".

On Aug 20, 2006, hostajim1 from Port Orchard, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

for the first 2 years I didn't protect the stalks in winter and they would die back to the ground when we had that one cold blast that we get here in the Seattle area. so last year I dug them up in late fall and put them in long boxes and put wood chips around them and stored them in my unheated garage. in the spring I planted them out. there was no damage at all. but this year they are 7 feet tall. so I'll have to find a larger box or find a different way to store them. hostajim1

On Aug 19, 2006, Raper from Seattle, WA wrote:

Our tree is growing fast, and overall we're extrememly happy with it, but its looking more and more yellow with the leaves turning brown around the edges. Has anybody experienced this or have any suggestions on what we can do to compensate for this problem? The soil drains well and other plants within the planter are thriving.

On Oct 17, 2005, mylocaldj from Louisburg, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plan grows well in most soil conditions provided it is mulched well. In fact, I have had great success growing these trees where the soil was so hard that I had to use a pick to break the soil enough to plant it.

Do not expect the plants to really take off until year two. Then look out, they will multiply and grow around 14 feet in one year. If you count the top of the leaves in the measurement, they can achieve 20 ft in one year!

The most significant pest that attacks these trees seems to be the Japanese Beetle. Of course is there anything in this area that escapes these pests?

On Oct 11, 2005, Biker1 from McLean, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is a fabulous plant in McLean, Virginia. Mine is on its 4th year and thriving. I have given baby banana plants to at least 4 people who have also had great success with them. Mine is the focus of my "tropical bed." It makes all the workers from Latin and South America homesick. It has grown to about 13 - 14 feet tall each summer. In the fall I cut it down to about 1 foot and mulch heavily with leaves. I have sometimes covered it with landscape fabric as well. I do get tired of being asked "When will it produce bananas?"

On Sep 10, 2005, growin from Beautiful, BC (Zone 9b) wrote:

I've had my Musa basjoo for over a decade and it's a large clump. Protect stems from frost produces taller plants the following year. I use a cage filled with leaves covered with a black bag. Good fast grower when properly fertilized. I use fish fertilizer and very organic/compost soil. Once flowers/fruits stem dies. Propagate from division or tissue-culture.

On Jun 22, 2005, justinmc from Wichita, KS wrote:

With the cold winters and hot dry summers, it's hard to find anything nice to grow in Wichita Kansas. However, the musa's have done just WONDERFULL! They have come back year after year without fail. The only problem so far... all of the neighbors want a start! My hearts too big and I give the "pups" away. Guess I need to be more stingy. Love the plant and dont mind the extra watering in summer. This plant is just wonderfull! Am submitting a picture.

On Mar 3, 2005, hardyinokc from Oklahoma City, OK wrote:

I have had my musa basjoo in the ground less than a year. I mulched it in with about a foot of straw this winter, and it had a new leaf coming out BEFORE the end of February! I am SO pleased with this plant.

On Feb 24, 2005, RRRupert123 from Solon, IA wrote:

I have a musa basjoo at my house here in iowa. all you have to do to prepare it for winter, is to cut the trunk down to 10" or 1'. THIS THING CAN GROW 12 FEET IN ONE SUMMER!!!!!

On Sep 19, 2004, Chamerops from Leiden
Netherlands (Zone 8a) wrote:

Here in the Netherlands it's a fabulous plant. Not many Dutch believe this is possible in Holland..but it grows fine in my garden as a shade giving patioplant after 4 yours in growth.

On Aug 28, 2004, llr from Enumclaw, WA wrote:

I bought my musa basjoo in the early spring and is is doing fine here in Enumclaw, Wa. It is now time to put the plant in a larger pot. My plant has many pup growing up from its base and I am not sure how to remove them with out harming my plant or the pups. If any one would give me some advise in this area, I sure could use it. Thanks

On Jul 13, 2004, aviator8188 from Murphysboro, IL (Zone 7a) wrote:

Musa basjoo is said to be cold hardy to temperatures as low as -20F. I recently purchased a Musa basjoo back in May and planted it in the ground. It seems to grow rather quickly, currently 1.5 inches per day during this heat wave. Seems to thrive here in Murphysboro, Illinois(USDA zone 7a). I have driven by many yards here in extreme southern Illinois and saw this specimen thriving at over 14 feet tall. It is a perennial to this area dying to the ground in late fall and returning in the spring. One must keep it out of the wind to prevent the leaves from ripping.

On Oct 15, 2003, wnstarr from Puyallup, WA (Zone 5a) wrote:

My Musa basjoo was purchased in a gallon pot several years ago. I kept repotting until it got so big that it was impossible to move the pot. It survived year round on the deck here in western Washington state, losing its leaves in the winter, but would quickly re-leaf in the spring.

I finally moved it into the ground in a protected corner next to a Koi pond. It is now over 14 foot tall and has 9 trunks. Adds to the tropical look in a wet and cool state, but it still has yet to bloom and bear fruit. I doubt it will, but is worth the effort for its shock value in the garden. It needs good rich soil, plenty of water and protection from the winds to keep from shredding the leaves. it benefits by a nice topping of steer manure in the early spring.

Pr... read more