PlantFiles: Vietnamese Gardenia
Gardenia vietnamensis

Family: Rubiaceae
Genus: Gardenia (gar-DEEN-ya) (Info)
Species: vietnamensis (vee-et-num-EN-sees) (Info)

Cream/Tan

Flowers are good for cutting

By simple layering

Thumbnail #5 of Gardenia vietnamensis by PerennialGirl

By PerennialGirl
Thumbnail #6 of Gardenia vietnamensis by PerennialGirl

Positive Anthurium1 On Oct 14, 2012, Anthurium1 from West Palm Beach, FL wrote:

I bought this gardenia at a botanical garden plant sale in 2006 and grew it in a pot where it was very happy and healthy. Several years later, when it outgrew the pot, I planted it in the garden where it went downhill immediately. I moved it to another planting area and it did no better. I dug it up and put it back in a pot, almost bare-rooted at this point. I didn't think it would survive. It not only came back with vigourous growth, but it was ready to be potted up to a larger vessel within a few months and had a healthy root ball again. The soil on my property is sandy and marly and I believe too basic to support good growth on this plant which seems to prefer acidic conditions which I can give it in a container.Even though I had problems trying to place this plant in my garden, I'm giving it a positive rating because it is a "survivor" and a very nice, fragrant patio plant for a large container.

Positive astcgirl On Nov 16, 2007, astcgirl from Brandon, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I purchased this plant from the wonderful people at Crowleys. They told me that it was an easy Gardenia to grow and wouldn't have the troubles that most other gardenias have..ie, pests & yellowing leaves. So far it has lived up to that reputation. I have it in the ground in morning sun/afternoon shade. It does like more water than my other gardenias, it can only go 2-3 days before wilting but then wants a thorough watering. Also I love the smell of this gardenia, it's not as strong and over-powering as the common gardenia.

UPDATE April 2009: over a year long I've had this now and I had to take it out of the ground, it would continually wilt and just wasn't happy, I placed it in a pot and it has taken off like crazy. I feed it coffee grounds and banana's every couple of weeks and water it whenever it looks dry....it really does like to be moist. I have noticed that it gets lots of thrips on an open bloombut they do not do any damage that I can tell, they do not deform the leaves of flower at all. No other pests have bothered it. Overall a wonderful plant.

Brandon, Florida
Naples, Florida
Tampa, Florida
West Palm Beach, Florida (2 reports)
Saint Helena Island, South Carolina