Tomato 'Berkeley Tie Dye'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Berkeley Tie Dye
Additional cultivar information:(aka Berkeley Tie-Dye)
Hybridized by Brad Gates

Troy, Ohio

Pilot Rock, Oregon

Elgin, Texas

On Sep 30, 2015, mountngrower from Valemount, BC (Zone 2b) wrote:

As dorisv (Oakland) observed poor flavour, somewhat bitter, and exceptionally acidic. Highly crenulated and cracking. Low-yield of fruits and poor resistance to early blight in northern Rockies. Too high maintenance for the effort. Seedlings were strong, healthy, but plants late/slow to set fruit. Performance below that of other tomato cultivars yields in 2015 (despite locally, very favorable weather, El Nino warm, with average rainfalls). Pretty novelty may fare better in a greenhouse- not a cultivar for local prime, garden conditions, soil, and weather.

On Aug 13, 2014, avazquez from sonora, IA wrote:

"Really" Lovely fruit's

On Aug 12, 2014, dorisv from Oakland, CA wrote:

BTD is a lovely fruit, but it did not have the flavor I was hoping for. It was a bit on the sour side and had very little in the full tomato taste one seeks. It did set a few nice size tomatoes for me, which generally is not an easy task for the mild summers we get in the immediate SF Bay Area. I would not discourage anyone who would like to grow it for its novelty, but I will likely pass on it next year.

On Sep 29, 2013, crapsdealer from Pilot Rock, OR wrote:

The flavor was unbelievable, with just enough acid to keep it still tasting like a tomato and not like some exotic fruit. It was really pretty, with variegation inside and out. It truly looks like a tie-dyed tee shirt on the inside. The plant was vigorous, and I grew it in a pot, where it has produced ten tomatoes ranging from four to ten ounces, which was my goal. More may ripen before frost. I think it would benefit from educated pruning, as I think it would grow bigger tomatoes with pruning. It did have some blossom drop with the hot weather, as my pots would dry out completely between my twice daily watering. Setting the pot in a shallow trough kept any further blossom drop from occurring.

On Aug 11, 2012, SLO_Garden from San Luis Obispo, CA wrote:

BTD was relatively early for me and produced a good volume. They are a very pretty green and blackish-red striped tomato with a pleasant, acidic bite. The plant is fairly compact and showed some resistance to disease. Overall, it is an excellent tomato.

On Jul 10, 2010, b54red from Dothan, AL wrote:

Great looking plant with the best looking striped tomato I have grown yet. The plant showed strong fusarium wilt tolerance but was susceptible to nematode damage. Despite that my one plant produced 29 tomatoes from 9 to 15 ounces that were delicious. One of the best disease resistant plants this season and one of my most productive. One of my favorites which will get a spot in my garden from now on.

On Apr 2, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

BTD is a stable (or mostly stable) unknown cross that arose in the fields of Bradley Gates of California. As far as possible parentage goes -- he says of some of the crosses that have appeared in his fields that he has saved/shared seed for: "I do know that most came from Big Rainbow, Marvel Stripe, Brandywine, Cherokee Purple, Black Krim, and Green Zebra..."

Brad describes BTD as follows: "Berkeley Tie Dye- red gold and green stripes- green flesh with pink blush. Strong flavor, almost salty."

Good flavor, better than Green Zebra.