PlantFiles: Red-tinted Pussy-toes
Antennaria dioica 'Rubra'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Antennaria (an-ten-AR-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: dioica (dy-oh-EE-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Rubra

Alpines and Rock Gardens

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Pale Pink

Silver/Gray
Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse
From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

By SallieKr
Thumbnail #1 of Antennaria dioica by SallieKr

By dicentra63
Thumbnail #2 of Antennaria dioica by dicentra63

Positive Fires_in_motion On Jul 11, 2014, Fires_in_motion from Vacherie, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I got mine at a big-box store in early May 2014, and planted it on a high, sunny mound. At the end of that month we had a storm which brought an incredible 14" of rain in 48 hrs., which I believe ended up killing it. Will try this plant again if I can find it.

Positive SallieKr On May 12, 2012, SallieKr from Cherry Valley, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I agree with Bombix... very happy with the foliage- much like a tiny version of Lambs Ears. I bought it 2 years ago as a "Pathway Plant", which it excels at, the foliage being only about 1" tall. The blooms this year are kind of like Lambs Ears as well. Pretty, but too tall for the plant (at 8".)

Positive Erutuon On May 24, 2011, Erutuon from Minneapolis, MN wrote:

I bought a plant labeled as Antennaria dioica 'Red Hybrids' last spring (2010), so I assume it's this variety. I planted it in our boulevard garden, and it spread, but the original plant died from winter moisture, or so I assume. Some plantlets remained, though, and I transplanted them to a new spot this spring (2011). They haven't bloomed yet, presumably because of insufficient sunlight. Hopefully next spring!

Positive Bombix On Jul 8, 2010, Bombix from Rockford, IL wrote:

The first year we didn't have any flowers, but we loved the foliage so were very happy. This spring we were treated to deep pink flowers on silver green stems that did indeed look like pussy toes., Incredible and adorable. Our summers tend to be very wet in May and June and our pussytoes have looked great throughout (though admittedly, we have great drainage). The pest-free mat of foliage has spread outward by a few inches and I plan to encourage it's success by dividing the root ball this fall. As I am a great fan of colorful, carpet-like ground covers, I have to say this plant is in the top five!

Cherry Valley, Illinois