Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Momotaro'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Momotaro

Elgin, Texas

Hutto, Texas

Irving, Texas

On Feb 20, 2014, tombirdwell from South Middletown, OH wrote:

I have grown grafted Momotaro plants the past two years, and can say without hesitation that it is my all-time favorite. The grafted plants produce fruit moderately early, through September in October, although production does seem to taper off towards end of season. The only negative issue seems to be its cost, with both seeds and grafted plants expensive.

On Jul 6, 2013, somgarden from Loyola, CA wrote:

We've been growing Momotaro tomatoes for >7 years. Each year we select 5 tomato varieties--adding new ones, and eliminating ones that produce poorly, get diseased, or have a mediocre flavor. Momotaro is a family favorite based on repeated comparison tastings, productivity, ease of growing. Flavor: "smooth," mild, not acidic, "sl. smokey" (?). In 2012, this variety was still producing in October, after all other tomatoes were finished. This year, I planted only tomatoes on grafted root stock. Although this variety didn't need to be on grafted stock, the momotaro plants have begun to produce earlier than usual. We did our first tomato tasting with a friend 6-6-13; momotaro was rated "first" in flavor of the 4 varieties we had available..

On Jul 18, 2012, lennox3rd from Berkeley, CA wrote:

I have grown this tomato in Kensington, CA, which is near Berkeley. Its productivity is medium, but the flavor is absolutely fabulous. The only variety I have tasted to rival it is goose creek.

I only grow them in containers on my roof, because that is the only way I can get them enough sun. They, like all tomatoes, need at least 8 hours of it a day. They are worth the trouble to grow them.

On Aug 15, 2011, Californian from Fullerton, CA wrote:

Some of the tomatoes had a nice sweet taste and were pretty meaty. But some had a disgusting taste that made you want to spit them out. Not very prolific, and plant was one of the few in my garden to get any disease. Not very prolific either. To top it off seeds for this variety are some of the most expensive. Fruit ranged from golf ball size to tennis ball size, and was red color.
To be fair, I ran out of cages so let this plant sprawl. Maybe the results would have been better if grown in a cage.

On Apr 4, 2011, Topnife from Alpine, CA wrote:

I planted a Momotaro last year in a raised bed. It immediately grew strongly, and reached a height of about six feet and about 5 feet in diameter. It produced numerous blossoms in clusters, and one or two small green fruits that never ripened. Not a single edible tomato.

I live outside San Diego, 32 degrees latitude, 2000 feet elevation, and sunshine most days. My other varieties grew well and produced good yields. Momotaro was a total flop.

I will plant one again this year, in a different spot, and give it one last chance.

On Dec 20, 2009, azruss from Marana, AZ (Zone 8b) wrote:

The flavor of Momotaro tomatoes is just wonderful--sweet, rich, full flavored. Production was on the low side for me, and I did not find this plant to be particularly heat tolerant. Loved the fruit that I got, however.

On Nov 26, 2008, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

A terrific tasting tomato - one of my very best fall crop varieties in '08. A very nice surprise indeed.

Sweet, but also rich and "complex". Moderate to high production of mostly tennis ball sized pink fruit.

If you like Earl's Faux, Brandywine, or Brandy Boy - you'll probably also like this one. Some similarities in that sort of sweet/rich balance, at least to my tastebuds.

On Aug 8, 2008, jjpm74 from Stratford, CT (Zone 6b) wrote:

One of the most tasty tomatoes I have grown. A little sweet and large three lobed tomatoes are prolific on plants that are trouble free.

On Jun 17, 2008, SLO_Garden from San Luis Obispo, CA wrote:

The flavor of Momotaro is surprisingly good for a hybrid. Although they are often descibed as being sweet, I thought that they were very well balanced in terms of the sweet to acid ratio. They produce lots of medium sized tomatoes all season. I will definitely grow again.

On Aug 1, 2007, cottonpicker from Audubon, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Nice, trouble free plant. Picked my first 3 tomatoes from it yesterday & found it sweet & delicious on whole wheat bread. Will grow again..

On May 16, 2006, phatfarm from Van Nuys, CA wrote:

I have found these plants to produce only a dozen or so tomatoes per plant but they are probably as delicious a tomato as I have ever eaten.

On Apr 17, 2006, bluekat76 from Ijamsville, MD (Zone 6b) wrote:

This is the most popular tomato in Japan. Hybrid plants produce abundant crops of round, 6-8 oz, smooth tomatoes. 78 days Also known as "Tough Boy" here in the states.