Yucca, Patilla
Yucca endlichiana

Family: Agavaceae (ah-gav-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Yucca (YUK-uh) (Info)
Species: endlichiana (end-lik-ee-AH-na) (Info)

Cactus and Succulents

Blue-Green

Red-Orange

Mottled

Succulent

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Chandler, Arizona

Bostonia, California

San Marino, California

Spring Valley, California

On Apr 2, 2015, Kell from Northern California, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Per Jan Emming owner of the Destination:Forever Ranch and Gardens, a 40 acre desert botanical garden and sustainable living homestead in the Arizona desert with a nursery:

Last year I planted a nice Yucca endlichiana right outside my front door and walkway so that I could see it regularly. It's a good thing I did that, because otherwise I probably would have missed this adorable set of little flowers. Yucca endlichiana is a very small and fairly rare species endemic to the state of Coahuila in northern Mexico. The leaves are very thick and fleshy for a yucca, and more resemble those of agaves. The species grows only about a foot tall and the flowers stay low, hidden down amongst the base of the plant and do not rise above the foliage as they do with almost all other yuccas. ... read more

On Aug 30, 2009, BajaBlue from Rancho Santa Rita, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Endemic to a small area in Mexico's Chihuahuan Desert at 3,000', this is the only stoloniferous species of yucca. The tightly-packed clumps are reminiscent of Agave lechuguilla, with pencil-thick, 1' tall, upright blue-green leaves emerging directly from the ground. In May, the white bell-like floral clusters open among the foliage. If you've got hot, dry, slightly alkaline soils, you've got a chance at growing this strange yucca.

On Apr 13, 2006, chanin from Bangkok
Thailand wrote:

I received this odd-looking Yucca from a Japanese collector 6 years ago. As he said, it's the most remarkable species of all Yucca and also one of the most sluggish, that I really agree with him as it shoots only 8 leaves with only 2 pups within 6 years!

Then I've tried to find more plants and got success with stuffs from Huntington Garden last year via some help of my friend over there. All the young 6" seedlings seem to grow well here.

For me, I really like its "eyelash" on the left tip.

On Feb 4, 2006, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is a true collector's item- nice attractive small plant perfect for pots or small areas in dry garden. Very slow growing, plants tend to be pricey. The plant is a suckering blue-green plant with fine mottling. THe leaves curl a bit and are usually 6"-10" long ending in a sharp tip. Old plants still have small leaves, but huge root structures. Flowers are spectacular and a red-orange- very un-Yucca-like and hardly extend beyond the leaves.