Kale, Collard, Cole 'Red Winter'

Brassica oleracea var. acephala

Family: Brassicaceae (brass-ih-KAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Brassica (BRAS-ee-ka) (Info)
Species: oleracea var. acephala
Cultivar: Red Winter

Not Applicable

Lawndale, California

Mountain View, California

Longmont, Colorado

Waterbury, Connecticut

On Jul 14, 2012, cynsational51 from Waterbury, CT wrote:

This is the first time I have planted this type of kale. It is beautiful and I hope it is very tasty. I have had it in my garden since May and it is as tall as my knees but I have not tasted it yet. Flowers keep blooming and I keep pruning them off (I am not sure if I should be doing this but maybe that's why it is so tall- is this how I should handle the flowers?) I am not sure when to harvest this plant and I wonder if I harvest it in July will I be able to be harvest again in October? and how should I cut it? Can't wait to try this. Please advise.

On Aug 30, 2010, sketchkat06 from Lawndale, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Easy to grow. Keep a close eye on it for aphids and caterpillars, they love this stuff. It's hardy enough to withstand pruning several leaves at a time for either harvest or pest control. Withstands heat well as long as you water it enough. The flavor is alright, I toss it into a leaf mix for steaming.

On Sep 8, 2008, CurtisJones from Longmont, CO wrote:

From your friends at Botanical Interests: This rare strain of kales has VERY tender, sweet leaves compared to other kales. An improved Red Russian Kale, it has green oak-like leaves with wavy margins and red stems and veins. The young leaves are excellent for mesclun salad mixes, tasty garnishes, and lightly cooked dishes. Though kale can be grown in spring, we love it as a fall crop, because a little fall frost makes the leaves even sweeter.

On Feb 4, 2006, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A rare strain, purple stems with red frilly leaves with a distinctive oak leaf shape. Extremely hardy.