Tomato 'Red October'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Red October

Newton, Alabama

Sierra Vista, Arizona

Canton, Georgia

On Apr 6, 2009, WaltRoos from Canton, GA wrote:

Last year I planted a bit over 20 vareities for my first tomato growing in 20 years. Overall the Red October tomatos were the best standard size tomato of the lot. In fact I received the "Best Overall Tomato" at the Cherokee County, Ga. Tomato Tasting Contest. I don't have full sun but they had very good production and a good full tomato taste. There were no problems with the tall plants, and the The tomatos were crack free, unlike many of my other types. It will be my main variety this year. One funny thing, I pulled several tomato plants in the fall and hung them upside down in my basement. Several varieties ripened on the vines, but the Red October tomatos shriveled up and were thrown away. It could be it was freeze damaged before pulling.

On Aug 20, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Informational -- I've not grown this variety.

Tomato Red October Hybrid (Winter Storage)
68 days. The first long shelf life tomato with the indeterminate plant habit that goes hand in hand with top-notch taste. Big 8 oz. red fruits can hang a long time on the vine without softening or losing flavor. Harvested fully ripe in fall, they will keep 3-4 weeks longer than other varieties, without refrigeration. Good disease resistance.