PlantFiles: Coneflower
Echinacea 'Sunset'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Echinacea (ek-in-AY-shee-a) (Info)
Cultivar: Sunset
Additional cultivar information: (PP16424; aka Big Sky Sunset)
Hybridized by Saul; Year of Registration or Introduction: 2005

Coral/Apricot
Orange

This plant is resistant to deer

By LazyDebby

By kniphofia
Thumbnail #6 of Echinacea  by kniphofia

By Marilynbeth
Thumbnail #7 of Echinacea  by Marilynbeth

Negative Fire_NA_Seapark On Aug 9, 2013, Fire_NA_Seapark from Indianapolis, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

I'm good at this gardening thing. Have been since I was a kid. I know how moving a plant one foot to the south so that it gets two more hours of sunshine can make the difference between life and death. Same (but slower to notice) is changing soil ph, soil density and of course making sure your guys have enough ventilation and drainage.
BUT.....my echinacea Sunset has beaten me down. I bought her at a very fancy place last summer so it was planted late. But it held the flowers it came with and the buds opened into gorgeous gradients of orange and red.

This summer (and the weather has been 100 times better than last summer's drought), my Sunset just sits there like a 13 year old who is forced to go to dinner at Aunt Mimi's.

It grouchily ekes out one pale,orange flower.
I have her parked next to some day lilies , hollyhock, Johnson's blue.All of them are doing great.

Also Sunset girl was squawking out a few blooms about a month ago..maybe two. Now-one wan orange..it gets as much sun as my new coreopsis mercury rising and blue chiffon rose of Sharon.
Our soil is Indiana clay, plus I think a little backfill from house. I amend with lovely peat, use good top soil and clean out center often.
Still it just sits, angry that I've grounded her for the summer.
Any advice?

Negative plantgnome1 On Aug 5, 2012, plantgnome1 from nowhere land, NY (Zone 6b) wrote:

One of the ugliest, most disappointing coneflower I ever grew. It starts out kind of orange then turns a faded pink. I am ripping them all out and replacing with Hot Papaya, which I also have and it is eyecatching and beautiful and the color lasts thru blaring sun and heat.

Negative Rubenbosc On Aug 2, 2011, Rubenbosc from Oakville, MO wrote:

Plants do not overwinter well in zone 5b/6a, color reverts back. Spent 100's on these (Sunset this, Sunrise that) over-rated plants.

Positive sllawrence On Jun 30, 2011, sllawrence from Kerrville, TX wrote:

I planted Echinacea "Sunset" last year as a small plant. I loved the variation in the color - just like a sunset. I'm in zone 8a of Texas hill country where the sun is known as a 'death star', so I planted this in part shade so the color would not fade out. It was very late coming back this spring because of the harsh winter; in fact, I thought I had lost it, but no, it is back and better than ever. Love this color! No petal roll, thank goodness.

Negative ms_greenjeans On Aug 30, 2010, ms_greenjeans from Hopkins, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I have three of these coneflowers. Two of them never bloom, and the third one does bloom but the flower color fades terribly. I'm going to remove these and find something else to provide a similar color in my garden. Very disappointing.

Negative grapevinegarden On Jun 24, 2010, grapevinegarden from Alvarado, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

In my zone of Texas (7b/8a), this plant proved disappointing. Unfortunately, many 'improved' varieties of our native wildflowers are weakened and can no longer endure our intense Texas heat and humidity. Native Echinaceas have done well in my garden. 'Sunset' did not survive.

Neutral Clary On Nov 2, 2009, Clary from Lewisburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Though the new flowers were pretty and unusual they quickly faded to a dull parchment color. This was not attractive in my garden, though I could see their place in a more wild planting. I replaced it with a more vivid coneflower variety.

Positive BostonBetty On Aug 10, 2009, BostonBetty from West Roxbury, MA wrote:

I bought 6 "Sunset" echinacea 2 years ago. On the whole, I am enjoying this plant, but this summer, the flowers on 3 of my original 6 plants have turned pink. I'm enjoying the mix of colors, but I am hoping that all 6 plants don't revert back to pink/purple. They bloom for several weeks, going from a deeper orange as they open to a soft peach as they fade. They look great in the fall if you leave the seed heads on.

Positive Eldine On Jul 28, 2009, Eldine from Wellsville, NY (Zone 4b) wrote:

Mine is blooming now and the color is beautiful! I haven't had the "petal roll" problem noted. I've had this since '06 and I wish it had spread more than it has but I love it. I have it planted next to "Sunrise" which isn't as nice.

Positive anelson77 On May 12, 2009, anelson77 from Seattle, WA wrote:

i planted 4 of these a year ago in full sun, good soil. They get little summer water. They bloomed most of the summer. The color lives up to the name, and the scent is sweet too.
They are just now coming back for their second year.

Negative AuNatural On Jul 16, 2007, AuNatural from W'Ville, WA wrote:

Itsaul Plants have discontinued production of this variety due to the poor petal development (petal roll) pictured in some of the pics on this page. If you happened to have purchased yours from PDN, they are offering a credit/refund (as of May 07 notes.) If you got yours somewhere else you're SOL.

Positive montsho On May 10, 2007, montsho from Tracy, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I had to mulch and water alot in the heat I get in Sac but the flowers are absolutely one of a kind. I hope this second summer proves their heat/drought tolerance.

Negative willisjw On Apr 26, 2007, willisjw from Frederick, MD wrote:

We found this pretty dull and disappointing. Looking for a stronger color from these plants.

Neutral berrygirl On Mar 23, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I haven't grown this- for info. only:
Developed by Itsaul Plants of Georgia, the Big Sky series of Echinaceas are crosses of E. purpurea -- the traditional Purple Coneflower -- and E. paradoxa. They are heavy-blooming, unusually long-lasting, and sport a range of brand-new colors for the family.

Positive Marilynbeth On Jul 27, 2006, Marilynbeth from Hebron, KY wrote:

I just had to have this one too to add to my collection of Echinaceas! It's beautiful! Planted this year. Love it!

Positive yotedog On Jul 20, 2006, yotedog from Raleigh, NC wrote:

I'd have to give this one a positive because the flowers are an incredible color! Absolutely just like a sunset--everything from light orange, to deep orange and lots of purple/mauve overtones (its hard to explain, but when you see it, you'll know what I mean). One negative--I planted two gallon size plants from the same nursery. One was planted with other plants fairly close around it, and immediately developed fungal/mildew stuff. I took it out of the ground within two weeks, cut it down to the base and repotted it. It is now doing great. The other plant had slightly more ventilation and has had no problems, even though it was planted in the same basic location. Lesson learned--if its humid where you live, give them plenty of ventilation.

Positive nanny_56 On Jul 6, 2006, nanny_56 from Putnam County, IN (Zone 5b) wrote:

I mail ordered this plant so it was small. It is now a little bigger and has produced about 4 flowers and I also love this one. I can't wait for it to get mature!

Positive JenniferE On Jun 13, 2006, JenniferE from Lebanon, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Very unique flowers - the usual purple-pink on the bottom of the petals, but a beautiful coral orange on top! Beautiful!

Sacramento, California
Kerrville, Texas
Missouri City, Texas
Paris, Texas
Lexington, Virginia
Seattle, Washington (3 reports)
Vancouver, Washington