Coral Bells, Alumroot, Coralbells, Alum Root 'Rave On'

Family: Saxifragaceae (saks-ih-frag-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Heuchera (HEW-ker-a) (Info)
Cultivar: Rave On
» View all varieties of Heucheras

This plant is resistant to deer

Flowers are good for cutting

Tifton, Georgia

Ogden, Utah

Locust Dale, Virginia

Spokane, Washington

On May 29, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This is the best Heuchea I've ever grown.

The leaves are purple with a pronounced silvery overlay.

Flowers are profuse, a deep reddish pink and on stems just the right length to be self-supporting (more than 12" though). They glow when backlit. Flowers are long-lasting both on the plant and in the vase when cut.

This keeps sending up more flower scapes over a couple of months.

This has been both hardy and vigorous for me---and my experience is that coral bells often lack vigor.

As with all Heuchera, move or divide only in early spring. When growth raises the the crowns/growing points above the surface, fill in with loam or compost, or replant deeper. Cuttings can be rooted in early spring before new growth occurs.

On Feb 29, 2012, marywalters from Holland, MI wrote:

I planted about 9 Heuchera Rave On about 2 years ago and could not believe the flower power! It kept blooming from early summer well into fall and got to enjoy the hummingbirds all summer! Flowers are beautiful and so is the foliage. I've never lost any plants over the winter. Rave On has never "heaved" on me (as is the case with a number of varieties). I have it planted on a slight slope where it gets a lot of sun and is never the worse for wear even late in the season. Hope to get around to planting more as an edging plant along a walkway

On Sep 29, 2010, shewhoplants from Tifton, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Beautiful garden plant. very hardy. The flowers are so delicate, growing along many spikes. Mine are planted in a raised bed with shade and filtered sun. At times the bed is dry, but these guys are very hardy and seem to withstand the dry conditions until they are watered. I love them and my garden wouldn't be complete without them.

On May 14, 2010, willmetge from Spokane, WA (Zone 5b) wrote:

Wow, this is an amazing Heuchera! Spectacular flower show. Vigorous. Sun tolerant. Fabulous soft rose leaves with a frosty silver overlay. It is the perfect mix of the classic showy Coral Bell bloom and the spectacular foliage of modern Heuchera hybrids. Mine is on its third year and I'm excited for this year's bloom. Last year I often got comments like "Oh my gosh, what is that?" or "I've never seen a Heuchera like that!"

I have mine planted at the edge of the canopy of a large Maple tree. It gets full sun until about noon and shade after that. I have never amended the soil or added fertilizer. The soil is decent but not very high in organic content. I have Ajuga 'Chocolate Chip', and Saxifraga x arendsii 'Triumph' in front and some Columbine and Petasites japonica var. gig... read more