PlantFiles: Dypsis
Dypsis 'Mahajanga'

Family: Arecaceae (ar-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Dypsis (DIP-sis) (Info)
Cultivar: Mahajanga

Thumbnail #2 of Dypsis  by WebInt

By WebInt
Thumbnail #3 of Dypsis  by WebInt

Positive Code3 On Oct 7, 2012, Code3 from Huntington Beach, CA wrote:

This is a fast grower for the coast 10a. I have mine planted in part sun and it's loving it's location along with deep watering.

Neutral palmbob On Sep 7, 2007, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Until proven otherwise, this palm is officially classified as Dypsis madagascariensis, one of the most variable of all the Dypsis species. Even this 'species' sometimes suckers, and sometimes is solitary. It looks and grows just like D madagascariensis.... so it probably is... but once studies are done on the flowers perhaps it will eventually earn its own official species name.

Positive WebInt On Sep 7, 2007, WebInt from Vista, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I find this to be a great grower in 10b SoCal. Mine pushes about 3 - 4 new fronds per year and each suffered minimal damage from the Jan 2007 freeze where I hit 28 degrees. Leaves grow tristichous as found in Dypsis madagascariensis. Trunk is ornamental lime green on its younger parts with a glaucous crownshaft. Some are single trunk but others can have 1 or 2 suckers. I am not sure why this plant does not get more praise, but I guess when you are part of the Dypsis genus, it is tough to stand out. Large plants can have a Queen palm look as the lime green trunks turn to gray on the older parts and the crowns have the plumose look of a Queen.

Neutral cfkingfish On Mar 25, 2006, cfkingfish from Venice, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

This palm is named after its discovery in the Mahajanga area of the NE coastal plain of Madagascar. As mentioned, it has many affinities to D. madagascariensis, and many nurseries sell it as a variety of madagascariensis. It is nice looking nonetheless, although its growth rate is nothing to boast about.

Positive deezpalms On Feb 8, 2006, deezpalms from Oceanside, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

I've got a nice speciman with 2' + clear trunk growing in a 20 gallon tub. Does well on the coast of San Diego and holds only 3 to 4 fronds at any given time. A close relative to the Dypsis Madagascarensis and very similar with recurved leaflets and a nice white crownshaft. The trunk is green at the top but turns a dark brown toward the bottom as it ages. It is both solitary or clumping depending on each individual. My tree has a solitary trunk with widely spaced, stepped rings of leaf scars and a slightly swollen base. I promise to post a picture soon!!

Encinitas, California