Mexican Hat, Grey Headed Coneflower, Upright Prairie Coneflower, Yellow Coneflower, Red Hat
Ratibida columnifera 'Red'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ratibida (ruh-TIB-ih-duh) (Info)
Species: columnifera (kol-um-NEE-fer-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Red

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

New Lisbon, Wisconsin

positive

On Nov 29, 2013, MurrayTX from El Paso, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have several mounds of these growing in intense full sun in a raised bed of mostly sand and minimal organic matter, and they look beautiful for 8 months of the year. Heat barely fazes them. Multiple light freezes cause no damage. Although they do seed heavily, they have been very slow to invade, allowing other plants to live nearby. I use their 2-3ft height to provide some shade to their neighbors and a windbreak in the winter. And oddly, they did appear and survive very well in a heavily shaded area under a tree where I had mistakenly tossed many seedheads. They bloomed less than the full sun ones, but still did bloom and looked healthy. I suggest these wildflowers for all cottage/bee gardens. I haven't killed any accidentally despite erratic watering and rare feedings.

On Apr 23, 2008, pennefeather from McLean, VA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Although the flowers are pretty, they are small, and the stalks are weak. I found that many of the flowers trailed close to the ground. When surrounded by other upright flowers, it is not impressive.

On Feb 8, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

Bushy 4' plant, red drooping petals on a central cone. Hardy to zone 4. Used as a cut flower. Attracts butterflies.