Blue Passion Flower, Hardy Passionflower, Passion Vine, Passionvine
Passiflora caerulea

Family: Passifloraceae (pas-ih-flor-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Passiflora (pass-iff-FLOR-uh) (Info)
Species: caerulea (see-ROO-lee-uh) (Info)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Blue-Violet

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

From hardwood cuttings

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Lincoln,

Casa Grande, Arizona

Chandler Heights, Arizona

Glendale, Arizona

Sierra Vista, Arizona

Tucson, Arizona (2 reports)

Fayetteville, Arkansas

Chowchilla, California

Citrus Heights, California

Clayton, California

Elk Grove, California

Fremont, California

Fresno, California

Los Angeles, California (2 reports)

Richmond, California

Lincoln, Nebraska

Pahrump, Nevada

Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey

Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Elizabeth City, North Carolina (2 reports)

Bucyrus, Ohio

Glouster, Ohio

Sandusky, Ohio

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Portland, Oregon (3 reports)

Saint Helens, Oregon

Sumter, South Carolina

Lafayette, Tennessee

Memphis, Tennessee

Arlington, Texas

Austin, Texas (2 reports)

Fort Worth, Texas (3 reports)

Garland, Texas

Humble, Texas

Killeen, Texas

Sugar Land, Texas

Weatherford, Texas (2 reports)

Lexington, Virginia

Portsmouth, Virginia

Virginia Beach, Virginia

Camas, Washington

Kirkland, Washington

Olympia, Washington

Puyallup, Washington (2 reports)

On Apr 11, 2015, Lil_rag_doll from San Jose, CA wrote:

I'm in San Jose, California and we have quite warm temperate weather here. I planted my blue Passion flowers from seeds taken from the fruit of a blooming plant. I had them in a 2' pot for about 2 years where they only managed to get about 3' tall. When I moved I planted them in the ground and they took off running! My plant is now about 12' long and have finally started blossoming. The first year it filled in and grew, we had a whole hoard of caterpillars eat away the leaves, leaving the vines bare. I took that as an oppertunity to wind them around a chicken wire trellace so they would be up off the ground. Worked like a charm and a few weeks after having the leaves eaten off they started to fill in again. Now the blossoms have started and I'm seeing new baby caterpillars and eggs on the ... read more

On Sep 14, 2014, ang3L from Merced, CA wrote:

I am from Merced CA and we have a very Mediterranean (cool wet non snowy winters where grass grows followed by 6 hot months without rain) climate here.

I love this flower but I should warn everyone that left to its own devices even in poor clay soil conditions it can develop a rather extensive root system under the surface of the ground, I see it sending up shoots sometimes 10 to 15 feet away from the parent plant. It seems to be a very happy evergreen here and does well in drought once established.

When I was establishing it I started watering it regularly then I started flooding it but infrequently, then the roots started going all over the place.

On Mar 7, 2014, Corsetiere from Columbus, OH wrote:

We started our passionflowers from seed and they took FOREVER to germinate! I literally was about to throw the whole thing in the trash but my boyfriend convinced me to wait another week and then they finally sprouted. So if you're thinking of giving up, just wait a while longer. It was an unusually long time before ours finally came to life! Now they are growing wildly indoors, in pots. I hope we will get some blooms this summer!

On Oct 8, 2012, woofess from Upper Swan, FM (Zone 10a) wrote:

This plant has taken over our garden. It throws up suckers everywhere, strangling shrubs and trees. I did not plant this passionfruit, so I suspect it is the root stock of a grafted one that died. The flowers, of course, are really beautiful, but are not worth it, due to its aggressive nature. I live in a warm mediterranean climate. I suspect it is much less agressive in cooler areas.
regards
W:)

On Jul 19, 2012, AndyBonsai from other
Germany wrote:

i have my plant for a few years now and it grows and flowers like crazy. my experience is that this plant doesnt grow well without much heat and sun. it loves sun and heat, it seems that it can never be to hot for this plant. my plant stands in a green house and grows easily 5+m in one growing season (im located in the temperature climate). in the summer some places in the greenhouse are so hot that you burn your hands when you touch them. i cant understand how plant part of this species can survive there, they look all very healthy and even seem to like it there.

i think you should be carefull where you let this species grow, because it grows quite strong and fast when it has a place with much heat and sun.
it seems to be hard to remove when you want to rid it. i... read more

On Oct 25, 2010, kacton from Hasbrouck Heights, NJ wrote:

We've had a tropical passionflower for many years that we take inside for the winter. I was pleased to find a hardy variety this year. I planted it in full sun, although the bottom of the plant gets shade from a rose bush. I am using it to cover a clothesline pole that is cemented in our garden and stands about 20 feet tall. My plan this spring is to cover the entire pole with chicken wire so the passionflower goes straight up it. It's very powerful so you have to be careful not to let it grab onto anything else. It grows fast. I planted it in July and it's taller than me already. I will mulch the base of the plant and hope to see it again in the spring.

On Aug 9, 2010, papabotts from Millburn, NJ wrote:

Being a landscaper I'm always looking for interesting additions to make my clients gardens more unique. I got a blue passion flower (Passiflora Caerules) grown by Monrovia who apparently has the real secret to the finest in organic soils/growth mediums. Because only in a 5 gallon pot. I had two of them completely cover the other in growth to the point I got tired of trying to separate them and clipped the last few. They are both covered in blooms and the one I planted on a trellis 3 days ago has already grown 10 inches in 72 hours!
My only concern is the winter, when I plan to protect the heck out of it. I heard if you get a used aquarium it is a good substitute for a cold frame, (because my clematis and trumpet vine survive winters just fine). But if anyone wants to start with a ... read more

On Jun 27, 2010, peejay12 from Porthleven, Helston, Cornwall
United Kingdom (Zone 9b) wrote:

This plant is far, far hardier in the US than in the UK.
Because of our wetter, gloomier winters and less well-drained soil,it will only tolerate -8 C, and will be defoliated at -5C.

The recocommended solution is to plant it in soil that is over 50% gravel and sharp sand - but you can do even more to ensure its survival. One expert places a 2 ft square of polystyrene around the base, another idea is to also place waterproof plasic sheeting around the base to protect it from the wet. Quick simple measures which will make all the difference.

Using these methods it may be possible to grow the more colourful species - even in Britain.

On Aug 15, 2009, SusanLouise from Lincoln, NE (Zone 5b) wrote:

I thought this plant was lovely, but it didn't attract as many butterflies to it as I was hoping it would...since I purchased it for the sole purpose of it being a host plant. Although we had several males of various Fritillary butterfly species (Variegated, Regal, and the Great Spangled), there were no females around to lay eggs. I will experiment next year with this Hardy Blue Passion Vine on one side of our yard and the Maypop Passion Vine on the other side and see if there is a difference in it's attractiveness for the butterflies next year...it should prove to be interesting!

On Jul 13, 2009, khabbab from lahore
Pakistan (Zone 10b) wrote:

I am growing it in a clay pot and it has not bloomed yet. i think our summer heat of 100F+ is too much for it to make blooms. anyway, i have kept its root cool by mulching and it receives full sun. It is growing very fast through its tendrils but no blooms so far. I have avoided fertilizing it as it requires poor soil to bloom but no avail. its size is 4 feet high now.

On Sep 25, 2008, chicochi3 from Fayetteville, AR (Zone 6b) wrote:

This plant is terribly invasive here. I'm not certain if the pretty flowers are worth the fight to keep the vines out of places where I don't want them.

On Mar 3, 2008, distantkin from Saint Cloud, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

I was given this plant in the fall as a bit of root and about a 2 foot long vine with maybe 3 leaves on it. I took it out of the bubble envelope and tossed it in a pot thinking it would never make it. It is now almost Spring, this wonderful guy is still in my office and climbing the wall. There has been no flowers but I am hoping to plant it in a nicer pot in the Spring and let it go mad outside as soon as the weather permits.
As much as this plant has endured with shipping, cold weather, low sun, and general neglect-I am very impressed with it. A wonderful bit of green when all else is white and brown!!

On Dec 29, 2007, arthulse from Weaverville, NC wrote:

Purchased this at a nursery where it was listed as maypops. It wasn't. Maypops is a host plant for the Gulf Fritillary and is a native to the southeast. Blue passion flower is introduced and I have found it to be very aggressive. In one season we had plants emerging as much as 8 feet away from the parent. Flowers only lasted a day and nothing pollinated them. Maypops is a much better choice since it is native and is a host plant for butterflies.

On Aug 10, 2007, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant grows like a weed! At least here in California. If it weren't for all the caterpillars stripping it of every vestige of green, it might be a nice plant. But at least it produces massive quantities of fruit (my guess is my 1 year old seedling produced at least 200 fruits this year).. At least the Frittalary caterpillars don't seem to affect fruit production, nor do they damage the fruits.... sadly the fruits are 90% hollow, with only a 'dollop' of barely edible bright red seeds inside. My parrot loves them though, and considers them a delicacy. Flowers are outstanding, of course.

On Aug 10, 2007, VaBeachLil from Virginia Beach, VA (Zone 7b) wrote:

We planted our Passion flower, from a two gallon pot we purchased at the nursery. I planted it straight from the pot into my garden, full sunshine in May. At first it just sat there and did nothing, I worried It was going to die. Then about a month later It took off an started growing like wild fire, the trellis I had it on was overtaken in about 45 days. Now I fight with it each day to keep it out of my Azalia bushes. It blooms daily. I am dissapointed that the blooms only last a day though. They have no fragrence here. But the blooms are lovely. I am concerned with how to care for it over the winter, and I am going to have to move it to the fence to give it more room of it's own and to let it climb. It is fun to watch.

On Jul 31, 2007, docturf from Conway, SC (Zone 8b) wrote:

My Passion Vine was planted in late 2005 and grew very well during 2006, but no blooms. Now, in 2007, the plant has produced over 80 blooms and is still forming new flower buds. In spite of a continuing drought, I am amazed at how well the plant is doing on nothing but a little liquid fertilizer (Peters) and city water. Docturf (july 31, 2007)

On Jul 30, 2007, dragonplant from Chapel Hill, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

I am in zone 7, NC. I recommend it! But give it room. I sprouted one seed of this and planted it in the ground, in good soil mixed with some sand for drainage, in full sun, and next to a pond. It gets watered every 2 days by a watering system, and it grows like a weed!

It is evergreen here, and its a huge green mob that has taken over a rosemary bush and the entire deck railing and is coming up from between the floor boards, and popping up in the dirt on the other side of the pond. We have to cut it back once a week or its reaching across the walkway by the pond. Its making its first flowers now, in its second year, and its got a ton of them. It doesn't seem to get any diseases, and though it seems the fritillary butterfly caterpillars are using it as a host plant, ... read more

On Jul 9, 2007, Joy from Kalama, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I've grown this Passiflora for years here in my PNW garden. It has stayed green throughout mild winters and would flower earlier than when it has died back.
I've only gotten fruit one time and it rotted before it fully ripened. I think it must need a longer heat period than we get here.

On Jun 2, 2007, ladie_39 from victoria, BC (Zone 6b) wrote:

i live on vancouver island in the great pacific northwest, and i have had WONDERFUL success over the past 3 years with my passionflower vine, until THIS YEAR..it is now june 2, 2007 and it is still a mass of wood stock not even a hint of green there, i am wondering if i should cut it back NOW, or perhaps fertilize it and see what happens with it...any help with regards to this would be appreciated...thanks marianne

On Oct 13, 2006, passiflorakid from cardiff
United Kingdom (Zone 9b) wrote:

I love this plant!!! i have had it for about a year and has given me extreme pleasure.The flowers smell gorgeous too and does anyone know if it will fruit in a large tub (3ftX3ft) ta

On Jul 12, 2006, shellabella from West Central, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I purchased this plant last April. I planted it against a fence where it gets am sun and late afternoon shade. It 's growing very well, but it is still a smalish size-4ft and it now has 12 blooms at various stages of development. I got this one because I read that it is useful for polinating the tasty fruit bearing varieties.The butterflies also love it .

On Mar 8, 2006, SW_gardener from (Zone 6a) wrote:

I started this plant from seed about 2 years ago, and the first summer the seedling didn't grow very much at all untill I brought it in for the winter when it REALLY took off. It must have grow at least 4 to 5 feet in its first winter! And I only had it in a 3 in pot in a north east window! Then I took it outside in mid May...it got hit a bit by cold and was slow to get going but by the end of the summer it had really taken off and I got a few suckers popping up! I have no doubt it survived its first winter and now I'm waiting to see it in the spring!

On May 12, 2005, twenty2libras from Greenwell Springs, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

LOVE this vine, roots so easy, prolific bloomer, does great in containers with a trellis.

On Oct 8, 2004, marshtackie from Orlando, FL wrote:

Actually, I'm not sure whether it's caerulea I have. I know I had incarnata at one time, but that was years ago. And an extremely pretty, very purple hybrid--Amethyst, I guess.

Tell you the truth, this particular passionflower, the P. caerulea(?),invited itself into my garden, and thereby hangs its negative characteristic: it's invasive. Up to you whether the striking flowers are worth the hassle of whacking away with a machete or enduring your neighbor's curses. For me, I saw this weed burst into bloom just before Hurricane Whoozie, and I was enchanted. (The hurricane knocked down the blooms, but I got some more.)

Curious thing: the passionflower, both plants, has/have settled on the NORTH side of the house, one along a brick wall and one attempting to strang... read more

On Jul 24, 2004, hollyg from Clinton, LA wrote:

I purchased a plant about four years ago and lost it over the winter.
My father told me it used to grow in the woods when he was a child and they called it "Maypop". He died at age 87 three years ago.
Today my husband and I found the vine in several places on property we have purchased and in one area the vine has fruit. The fruit is green now and about two inches long. I am very excited about finding it and will try to get it started in our yard.

On Jun 10, 2004, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

Would love seeds for this plant

On Jun 6, 2004, nick89 from Tallahassee, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I got a blue passionflower through the mail a year ago and planted it. Most of the stem died in the winter but it sprung back and is now over four feet! Flower buds are appearing. A more attractive kind than the native but gulf fritillaries don't seem to like it as much. A great vine for the garden but does have an extensive amount of roots and may climb onto nearby plants, so give it a trellis and some space.

On Mar 23, 2004, vfenning wrote:

My Passion Flower has grown beautifully in Sierra Vista, Arizona. The only thing I do not care for is how it dies back completely and has to start over each Spring. It does grow fast though.

On Nov 1, 2003, wnstarr from Puyallup, WA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Edgewood, Washington
Being a child of the late 40's I remember the passion vine as a plant that had me hooked on horticulture as it was so exotic and strange. Resembling an alien from the Saturday science fiction movies. Have to laugh, when we would visit family in warm California they all called it the "shithouse vine". As it was so prevalently grown to cover outhouses. This plant still has me under its spell 50 years later.

On Nov 1, 2003, BeanysNana from Puyallup, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I am in Puyallup Washington, 30 miles South of Seattle. I just went out today 11/1/03 to check my Rockery garden as we had a hard freeze. I wanted to see how everything was reacting to the cold. My blue passion flower was not only still blooming and beautiful but.. as I poked around I found fruit !!!! This was a first year plant, about 6" tall that my daughter had given me, that was half dead in her yard. She stuck it in my yard in May hoping I would have better luck than she had. I just ignored it as I didn't know what it was, other than to spray a little Miracle Grown on it every now and then. Today I untangled 1 of the 6 vines and it is about 35 feet long. I have it growing in a circular shape on a low wood trellis, for lack of anything else to do with it.
The soil is very rocky,... read more

On Oct 10, 2003, dahlia_guy from Saint Helens, OR wrote:

Fun plant. This plant needs full sun in cooler climates to flower well. Can be invasive but is also very easy to control by cutting back runners every few weeks. I grow mine right in the middle of my main garden bed on a trellis.

This is also a very easy plant to root via stem cuttings. Simply take a 8-12" cutting of a mid season vine and stick it in a glass of water. Will root in approx. 4 weeks.

On Sep 27, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

I grew this plant from seeds nine years ago. It was the first time I got sucessful with seedlings. Since I didnt have much room, I selected the three strongest plants and replanted them. After a while, when the plantlets were still less than 10cm tall, they got attacked by caterpillars. Amazingly, they survived, and started growing again.

My vines grew to 5 meters long, but they werent getting much light. I live in an apartment, so there was no way I could put them under full sun, but they persisted anyway. After 5 years they were about to bloom when I noticed they were drying. I saw the base of the stem, and it was totally rotten. All three plants died at the same time.

Passion Flowers are very susceptible to a number of diseases and parasites. Anyone who... read more

On Jul 7, 2003, Jamie51 from Conroe, TX wrote:

It grows real well in Texas, just be sure it doesn't get near other plants in your garden because the runners will take them over. Ours grows really well on the edge of the woods and does great without any care. The flowers grow hardy but with little or no smell it seems, but the flowers are a nice touch as a border on the edge of the woods surrounding the house.

On Jun 18, 2003, SunshineSue from Mississauga, ON (Zone 6a) wrote:

I see this plant is listed as "hardy" and I have microclimates in my southern Ontario garden that approximate zone 6 or 6b. However, our winters can range from quite mild with little snow and ice to winters like the one we just had which was very icy.

I'm wondering if I could successfully over-winter this plant in a protected spot, with added protection such as hilling up & using a thick layer of mulch.

On Apr 20, 2003, Stonebec from Fort Worth, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

Mine has been growing well on a fence for three years. Very hardy since my dog digs part of it up every year and chews the stem. I replant it and it's ok. This is a specific food plant for the caterpillar stage of the Gulf Fritillary butterfly. The coccoons look like twisted dried leaves stuck on the fence. I harvest flowers before caterpillars come and after their season.

The flowers feel almost like plastic. When dried, they have a mild cucumber scent. Tea from flowers or leaves can be used as a sedative or sleep aid. Works well in about 20 minutes with no side effects. Flower is interesting when dried face down with light weight applied.

The plant was named by missionary monks in South America because the parts resemble items from Crucifixion. Mine has nev... read more

On Jul 14, 2002, Baa wrote:

Fast growing climber from South America.

Has mid-dark green leaves with 3-9 (more usually 5) lobes. Bears large, white sometimes blushed with pale pink flowers with blue/purple and white banded corona fillaments. Followed by orange, eg shaped fruit with an insipid flavour.

Likes a well drained, fertile soil in sun or partial shade.

Ours came into the garden via a bird sown seed from a neighbours plant. Within a year it was flowering and trying to pull down the fence. It's since been supported properly. Another grows over the chicken house to provide shade and some rain protection for the birds, they enjoy the fruit it drops too