PlantFiles: Clustered Mountain Mint, Big Leaf Mountain Mint, Short-toothed Mountain Mint
Pycnanthemum muticum

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Pycnanthemum (pik-NAN-thee-mum) (Info)
Species: muticum (mu-tee-kum) (Info)

Herbs

Aromatic

By simple layering

By greenthumb99
Thumbnail #1 of Pycnanthemum muticum by greenthumb99

By Loretta_NJ
Thumbnail #2 of Pycnanthemum muticum by Loretta_NJ

Positive leite14 On Jun 23, 2013, leite14 from Fairfax, VA wrote:

I first saw these plants in North Carolina at the Cherokee Museums native plant-pollinators' garden. It was filled with lovely specimens. This plant was the pollinators favorite. It was a bouquet of butterflies, honey bees, native bees, and others. As soon as we got home, I started looking for this plant. I lucked out and found a few locally. These are hard to find! Over two years I collected enough to make a decent sized patch. I tried it in a dry part of my yard. It survived but was not happy. I moved it to a place where we regularly dump our chickens' water. It has flourished there and in other places with moderate moisture. It is a slow spreader, not at all invasive like spearmint or peppermint. I wish it would spread faster! Im a beekeeper/ butterfly gardener and we have a large collection of nectar plants. This and the clover are the only things that keep my honeybees in my garden. We've parked lawn chairs next to the patch to observe the great variety of pollinators who visit. It has a pleasant, fresh smell; minty but with a touch of perfume. Its foliage is delicate and when in bloom, the plant is topped with silver. I planted a mauve colored hardy hibiscus in the center of our patch. The silver blooms showcase the hibiscus like nothing else. If you love pollinators or appreciate the benefit of beautiful foliage in the garden, snatch up as much of this as you can!

Frenchtown, New Jersey